Buildbox 2 Support And Another Price Model?

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by HG-2018, Feb 2, 2020.

1. Jaro

Jaro Avid Boxer

silence came - [:oops:] -
    heroes are gone ;)

2. Josh (Nology Games)

Josh (Nology Games) Avid Boxer

If you want Buildbox to have this ability, than you should email the before and after versions of the converting. This will actually give us the ability to help you, and many others like you.

MAC420 likes this.
  3. belmir

belmir Avid Boxer

hi josh
    what we are asking is to add new simple functionality on bb2 for example "scroll menu" fix small bug
    and support the new resolution of new devices
    if possible? if you need to block us access or bb3 and I pay you annual subscription that for bb2 I will
    if you get the updates for bb2
    who shares my opinion leaves comments so that our message reaches the support

33Shox likes this.
  4. MAC420

MAC420 Avid Boxer

Oh hmm ok. Might just do that. Thanks.

5. ramiucef

ramiucef Avid Boxer

I hope Buildbox team take our request into consideration, it will be great if they make a special BB2 subscription with a competitive price for indie developers and current Bboxers; it does not have to be updated with new features, but only maintain support for SDK and store publishing requirements.

MAC420 and Jaro like this.
  6. Josh (Nology Games)

You can get BB2 with an active subscription. So you can already continue to use it, but the goal is to make BB3 just as simple
    To use for you. Besides the converting process that I had already brought up. What can you do in BB2 that you can’t do in BB3 at this current time?

MAC420 likes this.
  7. belmir

belmir Avid Boxer

hi josh that's my answer
    I developed two great games with buildbox 2 it took me a lot of time, I invested a lot of time and money to learn how to use bb2 and also a lot of time for building,
    I have two games coming soon on bb2 my goal is to make updates possible for my games for a long time I will not want to abandon them,
    I add all the time news says that you have updated bb2
    I tried using bb3 for both games it didn't work there are still bugs,
    I'm sure that you will be able to fix all of its conversion bugs from bb2 to bb3 it will take a lot more time than continuing on bb2

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
    MAC420 and diamdiamubi like this.
  8. Jaro

Jaro Avid Boxer

That's it. This is another example of why BB2 should be updated. If you do not know what can not be done or what is currently missing in BB3, read everything again from the beginning. Despite assurances that BB2 will be updated that year, you are not able to confirm this at the moment. But users are still paying for it. Formerly BB3 was an add-on to BB2 and now it's all upside down. It's not fair.

MAC420 likes this.
  9. 33Shox

33Shox Avid Boxer

There is a particle editor in bb2. bb3 doesn't have it
    How can I trust that buildbox 3 will still be supported next year, or that bb3 files will be compatible with the new buildbox 4 Virtual Reality :D?

MAC420 likes this.
  10. belmir

belmir Avid Boxer

@Josh (Nology Games)
    first you have to start by integrating the 2d modules which are available on buildbox2 in buildbox 3 and which function on bb3 with the same performance

MAC420 and diamdiamubi like this.
  11. MAC420

MAC420 Avid Boxer

Well let's look at something quick and easy to do in BB2 that can be done in BB3 but, not as easily. Shooting BB2 there's literally a spot to place your bullet into to give the character the ability to shoot with a few other ways to make it happen as well. Which in BB3 is much more of a process. The thing is, it's not that something can't be done in BB3 but can be in BB2, I mean looking at BB3 I'm sure just about anything can be done threw the right code. but, there stands the issue (code) yet we are in the no-code movement lol bit of an oxymoron there. But, I do see BB3 making steps back towards more no-code wares threw the new 2D only portion of BB3 but, I don't see it ever getting back to that no-code, drag and drop, visual concept workflow we've all grown accustom to with BB2. Even Al Cox said BB3 is a completely different beast.

Jaro and belmir like this.
  12. viking

viking Avid Boxer

Hello @Josh (Nology Games) and bboxer
    BB 2 is fantastic but Bb3 will be amazing.

In Bb2 you could duplicate or copy and paste new png directly inside the frame editor... like a precomp
    In buildbox3 you can only import 1 frame...
    I could import all images in a single node and move the position with number...
    but we don’t have a editor to see what we do.
    Ex : I made a background map in buildbox 2 in the image editor.
    That BG is used in more 50 worlds and thats making bb3 crash
    I’ll send a exemple to bbteam
    The game is not finish but will be soon
    Best to u

Jaro likes this.
  13. viking

viking Avid Boxer

And no Accelerometer yet

Jaro likes this.
  14. ramiucef

ramiucef Avid Boxer

Buildbox team and founder @TreySmith did really miss a great opportunity with Buildbox 2, especially when the first plan was to have both Buildbox 2 and Buildbox 3 as two separate products;
    I am fully aware that every decision made by the Buildbox team is well thought out, and goes with the demand and situation of the mobile gaming market, but half of Buildbox users are feeling or even let's say noticing that 2D aspect of making BB games is been kind of neglected, which in my humble opinion, 2D games are and will still be very profitable for indie developers. Yes, BB3 supports 2d and 3d games, but it feels way too much for a drag and drops made for non-coders developers.

I don't think many people would address this topic if it wasn't impacting their vision and plan for making games using their favorite software, and I'm pretty sure this is not a " resistance to changes" situation, it's only because we believe BB2 can stand by itself and still compete as a very powerful tool for building addictive games.
    I wonder just what it would have been the feedback of the community if we got Buildbox 2D and Buildbox 3D, or perhaps focusing on a single software is more efficient and effective for both sides...

33Shox, MAC420 and Jaro like this.
  15. Jaro

Jaro Avid Boxer

Does anyone know the 2D game produced in BB3 in e.g. 2019 that was successful or even one that was published? And how many games do we know that were produced at the same time in BB2 ??? This is one of the biggest differences between the two programs.

16. chrissy_wissy2

chrissy_wissy2 Avid Boxer

I have dabbled in bb3 but I’ve been using bb2 for a long while. Sometimes I’m overwhelmed by bb3, and that’s coming from somebody with years of experience within Buildbox. I haven’t seen many bb3 games that have been published recently that have had major success. However there are currently 2 bb2 games that are doing really well. Pool 8 by Christoph is absolutely smashing the AppStore after a US feature. And a very recent game called Paint! by Phil Lloyd who has reached the top 200 here in the UK. This gives me hope, and it can be done. And whilst I myself have been in many discussions with publishers throughout the last year and had a few failed attempts at retention tests with bb2 games, successful games can still be made with this software and it’s not something that should be overlooked.

Attached Files:

Jaro, 33Shox and MAC420 like this.
  17. belmir

belmir Avid Boxer

hi all
    we said everything, now what are they going to listen to us :D:D:D

Jaro likes this.
  18. MAC420

MAC420 Avid Boxer

Have you guys stopped all bug updates for BB2 or is that going to continue as Scirra is doing with Construct 2 while moving forward with new components for C3?

Jaro likes this.
  19. jcalle

jcalle Miniboss Boxer

BB2 should continue for at least 1-2 more years.
    With BB2 you can create 2D game very easily.
    With BB3, making a 3D game is more difficult.
    BB3 has been with errors for more than 1 year.
    The latest versions of BB2 are very good, so just updating files and libraries (64bits, Admob ...) would be enough to continue with BB2 for another year.
    On prices and subscriptions, they could make a free version of BB2 as they have done with BB3.
    I worries is that in 1 year, maybe we won't be able to run BB2 because they cancel BB2 licenses.

MAC420, HG-2018, belmir and 1 other person like this.
  20. Josh (Nology Games)

We understand why some users are still for BB2. Which we still allow users to use if they have a BBPro subscription.
    The reason why we are focused on BB3 is simply that the Majority of our users were having issues with BB2 because of certain limitations that led to... not being compatible with certain publishers, not being able to fix certain issues and more Importantly due to the work arounds that many users had to do. if we changed how one thing worked because it was creating a bug for some users, it would create a bug for other users. That is why we have faith in the node system. Because if you have a bug that you need fixed, it is something that we can help you with by changing the code within the node.