"If, else" Logic.

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by abdou0230, Dec 19, 2015.

1. Abdou023

Abdou023 Boxer

I think this engine really needs a simple "If, else" logic, for example: if the moving object.x >= certain point then, move backwards, or if all enemies die then move to next level, or if score > 10, then the game moves faster, I think this will open up a lot of possibilities and will make stuff much easier to work with, of course the devs. can control it by allowing certain logic conditions. Hopefully we wouldn't have to wait until BB 3.0 to see this :)

Christoph, tomwhite3d, Jamie and 3 others like this.
  2. netkomm

netkomm Avid Boxer

Some of these features can be achieved with logic block. Currently there is only a "transform" block (more with BB2).

While unassuming they can help (a little) to do some of what you want to do: when an object collides with one of these blocks can be resized, redirected, etc.

WIll need to see what's in store in BB 2 and from the launch video there are quite a few surprises.

Basically you can achieve the "IF-THEN" not in a direct way (programming) but in a more visual way - although sometimes can be a bit more limiting.

3. Abdou023

Abdou023 Boxer

I know there might be some workarounds, but this is not the ideal way of doing it, also it requires a lot of Copy/Past. I was just giving some examples, I'm sure the devs can figure out what is the best use of this feature.

4. netkomm

netkomm Avid Boxer

Buildbox is a visual environment and it's meant to be used intuitively by people who don't have a clou about programming or that don't want to program altogether.

For environments that offer more hands-on and that offer more "programmatic" approach there's plenty out there: Game Maker and Construct 2 (as example). But only with Buildbox you can just drag some "stuff" on the screen and start playing immediately.

It's a bit of trade off and in most of the cases it's ok. Of course... nothing beats a good old IF-THEN logic block :D

I would suggest to wait for version 2 and play around with that. Once Pandora's "Buildbox" it's open is very difficult to go back... ;)

5. madgicgadget

madgicgadget Boxer

I would like to see future development include a customizable logic block that can be built/assembled much like the menu. I've seen this in unity, where you can insert logic pieces and string them together. I think BB can implement a configurable logic block like this and still remain drag-n-drop and intuitive for non coders/scripters.

I'm a mediocre scripter and have built a few apps with corona sdk and similar platforms that use scripting lanquages like lua. I don't enjoy scripting at all and don't want to see scripting added to BB because I like being limited. When scripting games I have trouble settling on ideas because I keep imagining something better and better until I get to a point that's beyond my scripting ability, and then I feel defeated. With BB I've yet to defeat myself in such a way.

6. AndyG

AndyG Miniboss Boxer

I'm on board with @netkomm here. We need to be careful. The attractiveness of BB is the fact that you click, drag, change a few parameters and BOOM! GAME!

Whilst I occasionally find it frustrating that I can't "do more under the hood" its the ease of use that I found myself willing to fork over stupid money to get on board the BB train.

I'd rather @TreySmith and Nik and his team's time was spent developing v3.0 to have the upgrade leap that is from v1 to 2.0.

However, in saying all that, a solution (as some software apps have) is to have a normal view and an "advanced view".
    We could therefore have the BB we know and love but if you need more control and want to go into "code mode" for such things as "If, else" logic" that we see in other products then fill your boots.

And if that happened boy would that be one helluva game development platform (along with multiplayer of course) haha :)

Syndictuous and madgicgadget like this.
  7. netkomm

netkomm Avid Boxer

If Buildbox shall ever have this "dual mode" engine, @TreySmith could get inspiration from one of the major marketing power tools around, UBot Studio, a tool that is the Buildbox for internet marketing. Same approach and philosophy.

There are "standard" languages that could be used in order to provide this extra layer to glue things together. In any case should be something not that complicated...

but of course we are just "thinking aloud" while waiting for BB 2.

I am a user for both Game Maker and Construct 2 and in the past I used Stencyl and GameSalad. As @AndyG correctly put,

8. Syndictuous

Syndictuous Boxer

This has aged exceptionally well!