Creating A Platformer Game (buildbox Vs Construct)

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by M_Hagag, Apr 3, 2018.

1. M_Hagag

M_Hagag Boxer

Hello everyone

I am trying to decide between different programs for making games before I make the final decision to use one, I am looking to make a platformer game for android and IOS, and right now, I narrowed it down to two, construct 2 and buildbox.

there are some factors that would determine which one I will use and I would really appreciate your help her guys

1- is there any platformer games on google play store that were made with buildbox? I know every game is different and that it really depends on what I would make, but I think that what others were able to create would be a great indication of what is possible, the only one I found was dere .exe, I would really like to see the other the platformer games made with buildbox
    2- how hard is the process of exporting the game to android and IOS? which one is easier?
    3- Buildbox seems to be much easier to work with, but there are some features that I would like to add to my game that I can't seem to find how they are done in buildbox, like:
    a) creating a switch that when interacted with can open a door, move platforms, clear the way for my character etc...
    b) collecting keys to open locked doors or be able to go to the next levels
    c) changing the character speed or jump power with powerups, like changing the game mode from platformer to impossible for 10 seconds along with hiding the buttons for going left and right, increasing the jump power to be able to jump over an obstacle, you know, things that would make the gameplay more unexpected and interesting
    4- Being able to move the lights in the scene

These are some of the ideas that I tried to see if they can be done in buildbox and wasn't able to figure it out

Waiting for your helpful replies...

2. M_Hagag

M_Hagag Boxer

Also I would like to ask about the possibility of working on different projects and merging them together, like working with a colleague each of us work on different levels, and different bbdoc files and then merging them together in one final game, is it possible? and how could it be done?

3. wesam_badr

wesam_badr Miniboss Boxer

M_Hagag and ZackGriset like this.
  4. M_Hagag

M_Hagag Boxer

Thank you for your reply, I am downloading dream on a journey and darthy now

How can I make the keys that need to be collected for a door to open? or a switch to open a door, move a platform?
    How can I move the lights in the scene?
    Also how can I work on different files and collect them in one big file at the end?

5. jcalle

jcalle Miniboss Boxer

It is not possible to join 2 or more projects in 1.

M_Hagag likes this.
  6. and249

and249 Avid Boxer

I prefer using BB over C2. It's much easier!

ZackGriset and M_Hagag like this.
  7. wesam_badr

wesam_badr Miniboss Boxer

Each question need detailed answers you can find some on the forum and others all you need is to play with the software a little bit and if you still need help you can hire me as assistant contact me my skype bellow.
    as for the last question you cant work on different files in bb unfortunately we hope will get this feature in a future releases

M_Hagag likes this.
  8. M_Hagag

M_Hagag Boxer

Thank you for your reply, but how can a team work on a project then? if I want to make a game and I want to have my colleagues working on different parts of the game, creating different levels, how can I do that?
    I don't think that all the games in here are made by just one, with a game as huge as color switch for example.
    does that mean that only one person can work on the one project at a time?

9. M_Hagag

M_Hagag Boxer

Thank you, I really like what BB seems to offer, it is easier and takes a lot of technical boring stuff of your back giving you the chance to only focus on the game
    I am just afraid that I might be choosing it just for its easiness and sacrifice not being able to fulfill all my ideas down the road, so I am asking here

10. and249

and249 Avid Boxer

This thing is possible in Unity but not in BB.

M_Hagag likes this.
  11. AndyG

AndyG Miniboss Boxer

Color Switch was ORIGINALLY built with Buildbox but then it was ported over to Unity.
    There is no 'team' mode for Buildbox. You can only work on one instance of a project. To have more than one person working on the same game you can only save, swap the bbdoc to the other person to work on, they then save and swap back to you and so on swapping back and forth.

M_Hagag likes this.
  12. M_Hagag

M_Hagag Boxer

Thank you for your replies
    This is going to really increase the time needed for making the game, I will take this information into consideration as I make the final choice.

13. jmiller8031

jmiller8031 Avid Boxer

Have you tried Gamemaker Studio 2? It's the go to engine for 2D platformer games in my opinion. If you don't know how to code, then you can just use the drag and drop visual scripting instead. It'll even teach you how to code because you can convert the drag and drop stuff to actual programming code.

14. KidInDaHood

KidInDaHood Boxer

I would now actually recommend you to use Buildbox 3. Now it even provides you mode called "Platformer". It already provides you with a built-in mini game. You only need to customize it or you can build from scratch. But if you do have experience in programming definitely try Unity, it is a more powerful game engine. Still Buildbox works fine.

15. Rusted

Rusted Avid Boxer

I would consider using the BB free version. I just found out by installing it that they give you more assets in the free version than the account I pay $100 a month for...which is infuriating. Try the plat-former template they provide but just ya e fun trying to test with it. Good luck. Try anything you can free before spending a cent on BB

16. Josh (Nology Games)

Josh (Nology Games) Avid Boxer

this shouldn't be the case. have you checked out https://www.buildbox.com/forum/inde...-3-1-2-beta-is-here-for-paid-customers.18187/

17. Rusted

Rusted Avid Boxer

I see. I ha e to use a beta pro version to get the free version. Makes perfect sense to me

18. MAC420

MAC420 Avid Boxer