Game Jam Entry | Holiday Playshop

Discussion in 'Game Showcase' started by AppNasty, Nov 25, 2019.

1. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

My entry for the game jam. A collection of mini games themed for the holiday season. Will be adding Halloween, Easter etc. MAJOR thanks to a lot of forum members who made custom assets and nodes!
    Sorry for bad quality video. Tried recording with Snagit and OBS and no matter what i do its poor quality.

The car game has some hidden things in it. Will be building a full scale exploration game from it. As you can see i put some special guests in the game. LOL.

My Toy Car: Its xmas eve and you got to open one present. A NEW REMOTE CONTROLLED CAR! Explore your house with no timers, no points and just pure fun!

Seek n Find: Clean your room before Santa comes!

Workshop: Stop the coal from passing through the assembly line.

Snowball Launch: Can you make it in the holes?

Snow Maze: Navigate a maze and dont touch the walls!.....or the snowballs that are yellow. lulz.

Gameplay:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    Leighton, wmfear, 33Shox and 3 others like this.
  2. Colin MH

Colin MH Boxer

Reminds me of an oldie game called ReVolt. Nice.

AppNasty likes this.
  3. MAC420

MAC420 Avid Boxer

Holy Crap! Well you blew me out of the water lol that toy car is just amazing!!! Still proud of what I did tho. But damn yo! Great job!

AppNasty likes this.
  4. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

Yeah the physics of the car was an asset built by PunkPuffin. Tweaking it to act right based on your game type is key. But forget the car, ITS ALL ABOUT THAT OPEN WORLD. lol.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    MAC420 likes this.
  5. MAC420

MAC420 Avid Boxer

Yeah I haven't really did anything in BB3 yet still got so many in BB2 to finish. But, eventually I'll get into the whole open 3Dworld. I can't believe BB3 can do this. Would love to make a old school Doom like game eventually.

AppNasty likes this.
  6. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

It took me 1 night to adapt to BB3. I kept pushing it off and felt intimidated when i would open it. But one night i said heck with it and decided to work in it for ONE night to see how far i can go. By the next morning i pretty much knew the entire software. Then it was just thinking about nodes and assets and how i can make X game.

Sean Buildbox likes this.
  7. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

The car game i imagined it was xmas eve and my parents would let me open 1 present, then the rest on xmas day. So as a kid i remember i got an awesome remote controled car. A 9.6v Turbo Bandit. So that was the inspiration for that game.
    With this game jam game i tried to focus on little details. Like it snowing outside through a window. Lighting. Mixing 2d images in a 3d world. Like putting the BB team in the game or the BB sticker on the computer desk in bedroom for example. Also if you hit ramp in car game and land inside the box, you get stuck. It will wait some time and pop up a menu saying youre stuck. Also the hidden santas. [there is one in the kitchen sink lol]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    MAC420 and Sean Buildbox like this.
  8. MAC420

MAC420 Avid Boxer

So awesome!

AppNasty likes this.
  9. HG-2018

HG-2018 Avid Boxer

Great job :)

AppNasty likes this.
  10. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

Finally got the cars controls down. The way it is in this Jam entry the car just always has the gas on. Now I’ve got it setup with reverse and brakes. This way you can take your time and explore.
    Currently adding:
    Complete house. In Jam demo I didn’t have time to finish it. Kids rooms, garage...even find secrets so you can get OUTSIDE on the roof.

Toy car select. Also adding a toy airplane to fly around. (My inspiration is Toy Commander on Dreamcast.)

as for other game modes, the clean your room was my take on a 3D week and find. Loaded room down with tons more objects.
    The rest I will just theme SOME typical style games as well as add my own more unique ones. This was 30 mb big, but I’ve already got it down to less than 15mb. And so far it seems I can keep adding objects without lag. The key is to make all visual only objects have no physics. Test 1,174 on screen objects all with physics turned off and it ran silky smooth. Do that for objects player won’t ever interact with. Visual only.

MAC420 likes this.
  11. MAC420

MAC420 Avid Boxer

Woo Dude mind blown! I really didn't think BB3 could do all that. I haven't checked but, does BB3 have controller support?

12. Logan242

Logan242 Avid Boxer

Hello, @AppNasty very cool game! I am wondering how did you get the headlights on the car? I have tried to use the linkers but that does not seem to work. Any suggestions?

AppNasty likes this.
  13. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

I just took a light and drag n drop it into car. Then angle it. Don’t use linkers. Just move it inside of your car.