Still Waiting For Bb3 Documentation?

Discussion in 'Buildbox 3.0' started by ash_white, Aug 10, 2019.

1. AaroArts

AaroArts Miniboss Boxer

Any news on updated documentation?
    I've come back to BB3 after 2 months and there's still no progress.

Providing documentation has zero to do with "how coding is" as mentioned above.
    The developers already know what methods are currently accessible and what their functions are.
    It should be a case of spending 10 minutes writing them down and publishing a list.

ash_white likes this.
  2. Zyl

Zyl Boxer

Another broken promise, I can't believe how frivolous and irresponsible these people are.
    Buildbox is literally No Man's Sky of gaming engines.

3. Sean Buildbox

Sean Buildbox Serious Boxer

Sorry for the delay guys. I can confirm both standard documentation and updated API documentation is coming with the major update which is extremely close.

If needing functions for API/Coding the following code shows all that's associated with an object
    for (let m in <object>)
    log(m); So what you want is this
    for (let m in this)
    log(m);

Will update you shortly with more officially ;)

4. Coldwilson

Coldwilson Avid Boxer

Okay folks all I think I've figured out the lingo here...

On Sep 12th it was 'very close', so this translates to 'over 2 months away'. My guess is that 'extremely close' translates to 'over 2 weeks away'.

So I can now confirm we'll have this in just over 2 weeks time. :) HOORAY!!!

andre_sprs likes this.
  5. ash_white

ash_white Boxer

In the space of me posting this thread and requesting help with specific functionality directly to support (which I'm still yet to receive), I've managed to build everything in Unity.

That's ultimately the difference here. Not only is there documentation that saw me through most of the challenges (essential for novices like me and seemingly, BB's target market), the support was actually... you know... supportive.

There was a gap in the market you guys had the potential of owning but not only did the other major players catch up, they've already passed you by in the "no-code" market.

I'm sorry for being negative, I'm just so disappointed. I'll be sure to check back on progress whenever a free option launches but for now, I'm canceling my subscription as this is just ludicrous.

6. Jaro

Jaro Avid Boxer

In some ways I can understand it because BB3 is still beta and many things change in it, some things are added and some are removed. That is why, apart from working on BB, the documentation would have to be constantly updated. It looks different when the finished product is sold and contains the full package. In the case of BB3 it was different because everything was available properly from the prototype. However, I believe that solid documentation will be released. The same is for BB2. The latest version is as official, new things and minor changes appeared in it, but nobody explained their function.

7. dkarin00

dkarin00 Boxer

I'm very disappointed too because over the 1 year, my game is still waiting because optimization for Android is very bad.My game still very slow on Android devices.
    On iPhone is ok.

8. Codifie

Codifie Avid Boxer

First and foremost, congrats on learning another engine. That’s great and will be valuable. I commend you, too many people are afraid of it. Good job!!!

Second, the lack of documentation, the ridiculous reasoning why it hasn’t been updated and released, even as a work in progress, is a very sad state of affairs and really should be an embarrassment at the highest levels of the Buildbox team. Why this has not been a priority makes no sense to me, and obviously you. All we as end users can do is say, “it sucks” and move on, just as you have done.

Your lack of support is another common gripe here. I personally have never had an issue with support and getting answers, but obviously enough other people are that I have noticed it in several threads. The BB team need a ticket system, something that hounds them daily until resolved because the current method obviously has holes and support is slipping through the cracks.

Both of your complaints chased you in the arms of another product. The BB team needs to wake up and come up with an effective solution because you are just one user who shared their experience. We have no idea how many more are just not sharing.

9. JESTINA M ROGERS

JESTINA M ROGERS Boxer

you nailed it. I might have to look into the other major players to see what they have to offer. This is getting out of hand

shahar.m192 likes this.
  10. ash_white

ash_white Boxer

You're totally right for any beta updates but BB3 had an official release ages ago and so you'd expect supporting documentation to either be aligned to that release or shortly after. There are some fundamental issues with BB that render the platform far from being a legitimate player. Unity and Playmaker for one are just a dream to use and what BB should be – Stable and highly supported.

Anyway, it's irrelevant now. I've been waiting far too long and given some really poor and fluffy communication so I canceled. No matter what I or anyone else says about the failures here, it won't change BB's stance I guess. A shame considering how much money I've spent on it.

Jaro and tonymartz2 like this.
  11. Jaro

Jaro Avid Boxer

. Yes of course. There are many reasons. Perhaps if it were a much larger company, everything would have gone better and much faster but ... New York wasn't built right away either. ;)

ash_white likes this.