Money And Publisher

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by Juniper Games, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Juniper Games

Juniper Games Boxer

hello boxers. I want to chat with you. I've been developing games with buildbox for a while. I want to have a publisher agree to publish my game. Do you think buildbox is the right tool for this. I'm wondering how much downloads your buildbox has received. how much money do you make. why publishers do not like buildbox

2. itzonator

itzonator Serious Boxer

Mostly they do not like Buildbox, because Buildboxers cannot integrate their SDKs.

PunkPuffin, Juniper Games and Codifie like this.
  3. Josh (Nology Games)

Josh (Nology Games) Avid Boxer

This is actually not true. If you need a custom SDK, people can help you with it. Just send an email to support.

4. Codifie

Codifie Avid Boxer

Itzonator is correct. 7 out of 10 publishers will disregard Buildbox for the reason Itzonator stated.
    Josh is also somewhat correct, some, and I reiterate, some, will allow you to test your game once you finally get their SDKs added, but they will want you to port your game to Unity before they publish it.
    Sadly, most publishers frown upon using Buildbox. Unity has become the industry standard.
    TabTale is the most friendly to Buildbox and even they will port your game for you to Unity once they agree to publishing your game.
    Buildbox needs to be more open in regards to this subject rather than mislead their users. I am not saying Buildbox misleads users on purpose, at least I hope not, but these are the facts from my personal experience.
    As far as making money with Buildbox. This can be done and is being done by many people. It’s all about using the correct ad network and marketing your game correctly. But don’t expect to get rich using Buildbox or any other game engine without some very hard work and education in how it all comes together.
    Hope this helps.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  5. itzonator

itzonator Serious Boxer

@Codifie yes, that's right.
    I said that because the CEO to Appsolute Games told me that they do not accept Buildbox games, because they had few good Buildbox game submissions where the people who actually submitted those games could not implement their Tenjin SDK and I said then that's NOT a Buildbox problem, but a problem with the person that's using Buildbox. I also stated that to BB support. Since I was able to implement their Tenjin SDK, they had no problem with Buildbox games ;-) and the CEO of Appsolute Games actually thanked me for the clarification of why is that happening... since they thought that was Buildbox limitation, but you can integrate any 3rd party SDK when export from Buildbox as long as that's compatible with C++ / cocos2dx.

Jackazoid and Codifie like this.
  6. Juniper Games

Juniper Games Boxer

Thanks codife. if the publisher wants to move to the unity, who will. Are they carrying us waiting for us.

7. Codifie

Codifie Avid Boxer

I agree. I have worked with Appsolute as well and also implemented Tenjin SDK. I am assuming you worked with David at Appsolute, who by the way is a great guy!

Juniper Games and itzonator like this.
  8. itzonator

itzonator Serious Boxer

... and I think I know why they want to port the games to Unity.

Top-tier publishers have Custom Ad SDKs to bypass 3rd party ad service providers to get more revenue from their ads, and if they made their Custom SDKs with C# (Unity plugin), that's kind of difficult to implement into the exported Buildbox project. That's why they want to port to Unity, because they have spent a lot of money to create those custom Ad SDKs for Unity. If, however, Buildbox gets better, more publisher-friendly, I think publishers will begin to adapt their custom Ad SDKs for Buildbox too ;-) It is just a matter of time - and I am pushing this Big Time! @TreySmith @NikRudenko

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
    Codifie likes this.
  9. itzonator

itzonator Serious Boxer

David is awesome! ;-)

Codifie likes this.
  10. Codifie

Codifie Avid Boxer

You nailed it for sure.
    Publishers are not looking for much, as far as what Buildbox is not able to do today, but the Buildbox team needs to concentrate their effort in this area to make their product more publisher friendly. Of course, Buildbox first needs to build a stable product with the basic features capable of making games that publishers, and users, want to see and use. I think it will happen, some day, but as of now I think Buildbox is more of a prototype tool or used for personal releases.
    The other thing I want to mention is if you are developing for Android only, you are closing the door to MOST publishers. IOS is what they are looking for and MOST won't even entertain an Android only product. This is something a lot of people don't understand.

itzonator likes this.
  11. Juniper Games

Juniper Games Boxer

it will be a little special but how much did you earn with appsolute

12. Juniper Games

Juniper Games Boxer

color switch not made with buildbox

13. landofgreendev

landofgreendev Boxer

@Codifie & @itzonator
    I'm quite new to this -
    Are there any known publishers that have no problems with using BB3 games? How simple is it to install the custom SDK's that publishers require/is it even possible with BB? If so, can BB support help with installing them? @Sean Buildbox @Josh (Nology Games)

Sorry for all the questions, it sounds as if it would be a lot easier if BB3 games could be ported to Unity to help with publishing deals - unless this is already possible and I am just unaware of this?

Apologies for any stupid questions!

14. Codifie

Codifie Avid Boxer

None of your questions are stupid.

Nearly every SDK can be implemented into BB and yes Buildbox support will help you implement them if you are unable, in fact they are very good at lending a hand when needed.

I personally am unaware of any big name publisher excepting BB games without having some type of issue and as I stated earlier most of the time it is an issue with integrating their SDKs. But I also know that some of these publishers will flat out refuse to even look at or test a Buildbox game due to their own personal business model or needs.

I know that TabTale and Appsolute are very open to BB games, but both will require you to add their SDKs, which if you are unable to do the BB support team can and will help you with.

Currently BB games can not be automatically ported to Unity. This is something you would have to do yourself or if using TabTale they will do it for you once they except your game. But make no mistake, it is not easy dealing with TabTale. They will ask for several videos of your game made to their specific strict guidelines which can be a pain if you are not good with making these types of videos.
    I hope this answers your questions.

Sean Buildbox and landofgreendev like this.
  15. landofgreendev

landofgreendev Boxer

Thank you! That is very interesting.

Yes, I spoke to BB support about integrating certain SDKs and they seemed to all be supported. BB support have always been very happy to help with any issues I've had! The same must go for help with SDKs :)

Would all the problems with publishers be eliminated if you ported your BB game to Unity? And if so (I am aware this is a big question and it must be very complicated, but...) - How do you go about porting a game to Unity? Do you just have to remake your BB3 game in Unity or is there another way? I imagine it can't be simple!

This has really opened my eyes!

16. Codifie

Codifie Avid Boxer

Yes, you would need to recreate the game in Unity for porting.

Too many people get scared of this aspect, porting to Unity, they seem to think Unity is strictly for coders. This is not true. There are several tools that can be used that allows you to create with no coding, Playmaker being one of them.

None of this information should scare you away from BB. BB remains a powerful engine and with BB3 it continues to grow. With the help of the BB support team it is still possible to get a deal with a publisher and it should also be noted that just because you choose to use Unity doesn’t mean you will get a publishing deal. What matters is your game concept, playability, likability, retention, market and other factors.
    Hit games have been made using BB without involving a publisher. Rare yes, but it is just as rare using any other game engine. No game engine can guarantee you results.

itzonator likes this.