Collision Groups Breaking Away From Object

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Muspar, Oct 5, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Muspar

Muspar Boxer

I'm doing a little breakout style game for practice. Everything works right most of the time but occasionally the ball will fall through the grinder at the bottom that's supposed to kill the ball and spawn the next one. I turned on debug mode and it looks like parts of the ball break away from the rest of the object
    [​IMG]
    The larger sphere on the grinder object is a collision group I set up to check if the ball touched an invisible box around the play area to trigger a respawn without costing the player a life but clearly it was a different aspect of the object that went flying off. When this happens, the model itself vanishes as well.
    Any ideas what's causing this and how to prevent it? It seems as though it's most likely to happpen if the ball gets hit by an object too fast.

2. PunkPuffin

PunkPuffin Avid Boxer

You can try physics sub steps otherwise you are probably out of luck unless you slow things down.

3. Muspar

Muspar Boxer

Thanks for the reply! It seems 1 is the minimum setting for physics substeps, and increasing the value only made it more likely that the ball will clip through the borders. Originally the issue only really happened if the ball hit the slanted walls at the bottom of the play area too quickly, if I increase the physics substeps it tends to go through all of the walls at a moderate speed and always flies off into the distance Team Rocket style if it ever hits a corner. Whatever's happening also ignores the position limiter. Ah well.

4. PunkPuffin

PunkPuffin Avid Boxer

Ask support for CCD to be added