Game Over Restart Question

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by Brendan96, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Brendan96

Brendan96 Boxer

My game has multiple worlds.

When my character dies, it always restarts the character on the current world.

I want my character to start from world 1 anytime he dies no matter what world the player is on.

I have the "restart button" set up as a navigation button on the game over UI.

I tried these different functions on the restart navigation button

Default (routed to world 1 in mind map)
    Back jump (set it to load world 1)
    Start check point (routed to world 1 in mind map)

No matter what, it always starts the character on the current level even with those settings.

Anyone know how to get it to load world 1 every time?

Thanks.

2. wesam_badr

wesam_badr Miniboss Boxer

connect the default knot to world 1

3. Brendan96

Brendan96 Boxer

I tried that. Unfortunately it restarts on whatever world you last died on. If you died in world one, it will restart you in world 1.

If you died in World 3, it will restart in World 3.

That happens even if I have the restart button routed to load World 1.

4. wesam_badr

thats impossible can you take a screenshot of your mind map

5. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

I think that is how it's intended. Why do you have different worlds if you don't use them as such?

6. Brendan96

Brendan96 Boxer

Here is a screen shot of the mind map and the restart button in the UI.

Attached Files:

7. Brendan96

Brendan96 Boxer

Scoring is based on distance. My game is set up where you collect X amount of coins on level 1, you move on to level 2 where you get a higher score multiplier. Collect X number of coins on level 2 and move on to level 3 where the score multiplier will go up again and so forth.

However if you die, you start from level one again and work you way up.

8. wesam_badr

the setup is correct are you sure when you restart it doesn't go to level 1 because it impossible that button when you link it to something it go strait to it. when you restart is the score is it starting from 0?

9. Brendan96

Brendan96 Boxer

No, the score starts to whatever your score was at the beginning of the level.

So if you start level 2 with a score of 10, when you die and press restart, you start level 2 with a score of 10.

It basically makes the beginning of each level a checkpoint and starts you with whatever score you had when you started the level.

10. wesam_badr

go to level 1 ui and edit the score from all to current world or level 1 world then tell me what going to happen

update / i think there is a bug here i have a similar project and it do the same thing that caused by event observer i think you should contact support the only solution i can think of is to make back jump to main menu.

And that because event observer still has the data collected when you restart from world one it going to be skipped all through to the world you have died in.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  11. Brendan96

Brendan96 Boxer

Ugh, even if I back jump to the main menu, when I start the game, it still starts me on whatever previous level I was on.

What's strange, is I can route the restart button to any unplayed level and it will load that one.

I still have work to do on my game, hopefully support can come up with a solution in the mean time.

I appreciate the help wesam_badr, thanks.

12. wesam_badr

you are right i will try to also contact the support

Brendan96 likes this.
  13. Oeuvre

Oeuvre Boxer

my buttons at the end of the game don't work anymore.

setting the main menu button to go back to the main menu - happens - but after you're there - clicking start takes you back to the game over screen with the main menu button again.

and the restart button is either completely useless .... or the same as the main menu.

setting either button to go to 'world' doesn't do anything either.

i've been working on this game for almost 3 months ... its a simple spaceshooter/dog fight in bb2 and... i'm almost ready to just give up. i was so close and now i feel like I'm on a game show and instead of trying to guess what's behind curtain number 3 i'm taking the money instead. except its not money ... its defeat.