How To Spawn An Object & Score Points With A Static Character

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by Phill Mason, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Phill Mason

Phill Mason Serious Boxer

Hi folks, I've been trying to help a fellow Boxer with an issue he's been having, of trying to score points, but with a static character in his game. He also wanted to be able to score approx every second.

Main issue with this setup is:
    1: The Character doesn't move (so can't collect points).
    2: You can't spawn actions (coins) into your character for scoring.
    3: You can attach an action to an object and make the object move, but if you spawn the object, the action doesn't spawn with it.

There are other complications with the many variables your game may have, but these are the main issues to overcome. So, I've created a bbdoc and thought it would be good to share it with the community, in the hope that it helps someone out who maybe building a similar game with a static character who needs to score points.

Please let me know if you found this helpful. If you manage to make a game out of it, I'd love to see it. Good luck.

Enclosed - BBDoc - "Spawn Object to Score Points".
    Built with Version 2.3.5 but should open okay in 2.3.6
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/1pzihhm36ie0t00/Spawn Object to Score Points by Phill Mason.bbdoc?dl=0

2. stevinz

stevinz Avid Boxer

Nice work Phill, great job as usual!

There is another way to do this that has worked for me that may be a little easier in which the object is a decoration. This way you don't have an object on the screen that has the ability to destroy / interact with other game objects.

You create an object and paste a coin (action) into the object's default animation. Then place the object onto the start scene underneath the main character (no collide, no destroy), link the object to the character (character being the parent), and set the object to spawn. The action will spawn as the object and you will collect the coin / points. You can also give the spawning object a velocity so it's ghost will move off the screen and you don't get a ton of invisible objects piling up into memory.

Phill Mason likes this.
  3. Phill Mason

Phill Mason Serious Boxer

Thanks for the alternative tip @stevinz, I haven't tried that method before, I'll give it a go, thanks.

4. Vikas

Vikas Avid Boxer

@phill can you share that file again

thanks a lot

5. Josh (Nology Games)

Josh (Nology Games) Avid Boxer

good job! we always love seeing our members helping each other out!

6. Vikas

Vikas Avid Boxer

P
    This File isn't available , could you please post it again thanks !