Importing Models In Bb3

Discussion in 'Buildbox 3.0' started by migueljb, Aug 4, 2018.

1. migueljb

migueljb Boxer

How do I import models in correctly and what is the format? Importing.jpg Here I have a simple cube I made in 3dsmax and exported out to .obj and this is the results I get. Trying to figure out scale from max to BB3. If there's documentation on this can someone point me in that direction. Can't seem to find this info anywhere.

2. jmiller8031

jmiller8031 Avid Boxer

You messed with the surface normals of the cube in 3DS Max. If you don’t understand what I mean then you need to take the time to learn how to use both the software and standard practices for 3D modeling.

3. migueljb

migueljb Boxer

Kinda weird to be assuming I don't know to use the software right off the bat. Might wanna try that one again. I just made a 1, 1, 1 meter'd cube for scale. To see how that converts over to BB3. Then converted to edit poly then collapsed to edit mesh and then hit export to .obj. Anyone else experiencing this or is there some options in the OBJ export that need to be ticked?

4. jmiller8031

jmiller8031 Avid Boxer

Sorry. I’ve been answering basic 3D questions for weeks now for BB3 people on Discord and most people have never touched a 3D application before. You’re right though, I shouldn’t assume everyone is new.

My obj files import fine. After another look it might be an OpenGL rendering issue or shader error. You wouldn’t have a vertex in the center causing that odd front triangle on a basic cube with bad normals. Documentation is lacking at the moment. Did you check your UVs for anything strange or if they’re out of the standard 0,1 tile range. I don’t know if that would effect things but it worth a look. Also try exporting as a poly instead of a mesh.

5. migueljb

migueljb Boxer

Thanks for the info. I'll give all that a shot.

6. Dreamgon

Dreamgon Boxer

Hi there,
    I had the exact same problem with the export from 3D Studio Max. The Polygons were randomly constructed between the vertices. It seemed that the numeration of the vertices was messed up. But most of the time Buildbox just crashed after Import. I am dealing with OBJs nearly every day and what I have learned that every 3D software out there behaves a little bit different.
    So I downloaded Blender and exported the Object with the Blender preset from 3DSMax, imported it into Blender and exported it immediately without touching anything. After that the import into Buildbox was absolutely fine.

7. rizwanashraf

rizwanashraf Avid Boxer

Blender ? Try with triangulate faces checked.

8. Dreamgon

Dreamgon Boxer

I tried everything. I mean the obj export in 3DSMax is not that complicated, but nothing helped. So I decided to make the way through Blender.

9. Osama A.J Zamel

Osama A.J Zamel Boxer

I've been through this problem, and I've been using 3dsmax for over 20 years, you can import your object in any other software it will not make any problem like you see, so what I did is import the same obj file in Cinema4D and export it from there again as an obj file, and it worked like charm ;)