App Store: Design Spam Reject

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by justforward, Nov 6, 2017.

1. justforward

justforward Avid Boxer

Hello!
    Did anybody face Design Spam Reject reason on App Store even with a unique game made on Buildbox?

2. Benfont

Benfont Avid Boxer

Hey man,

Since June, Apple started rejecting apps that they consider "spam" for different reasons,
    You can find an article about it here:
    https://techcrunch.com/2017/06/21/apple-goes-after-clones-and-spam-on-the-app-store/
    and you can also find some comments and possible solutions here:
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/45667592/ios-app-is-rejected-as-spam

One of the reasons an app is considered spam by Apple is the following:
    "4.2.6 - Apps created from a commercialized template or app generation service will be rejected."
    From stack overflow:
    You have two/three possible solutions:
    • Change the design of your app so it doesn't look the same as your other apps
    • Appeal the rejection or provide additional clarification

Is your game a reskin? or is it taken directly from a template you purchased out there? did you make the assets of the game or you downloaded some images from the internet?
    Maybe is none of the above, but your game might have a gameplay that is too common with little to none improvements or things that make the game "unique".

Anyway, all of the above is very subjective. To be honest I am not sure exactly what procedure Apple follows to catalogue an app as "spam"

If you want some more help you could post some videos or screenshots of your game here and we can maybe help you figure out why Apple considered that your game is spam.
    I hope this helps and good luck with the game!

3. justforward

justforward Avid Boxer

@Benfont I wonder why Apple approve the duplicates like Drop the Ball by Voodoo, which is a copy of Falling Ballz. Apple is making something beyond understanding. Absolutely unfair review process.

4. Benfont

Benfont Avid Boxer

I know man, it is really unfair that there is no consistency in the selection process but don't let that put you down.
    Just do some changes to the game or appeal their decision and see what they say.
    In my opinion you should post here at least some screenshots of the game here so the community can help you.
    without images there is not much that we can do.
    Cheers

5. belmir

belmir Avid Boxer

6. Serryhoofd

Serryhoofd Boxer

Hi,

Got the same problem, my app got rejected for the same reason. Worked my ass off on this game to be on time for Christmas. I replied to them and told them the app is unique (everything) and this is the message I got:

Hello,

We appreciate your response and have scheduled a call with an Apple representative to discuss your app’s review. We anticipate calling within 3 to 5 business days.

To ensure we have the correct contact information, please reply to this message to provide a contact name and phone number for this call.

Best regards,

App Store Review

7. Forgive

Forgive Boxer

Hello did you solve App Store Spam Policy problem, dude?

8. Stryder

Stryder Boxer

I unfortunately have the same problem with my game. It was rejected multiple times within the last month and I even spent a week redesigning the gameplay with new game modes and everything. Still got rejected. It's really infuriating because I worked so hard on the game and it was my first project as well. Google Play accepted it but I was really looking forward to it being on the iOS store.

9. belmir

belmir Avid Boxer

i contacted support i asked for a support call and then call me and i explained that the game develop by a game engine is called buildbox so here it is, i hope my reconce will help you

10. Stryder

Stryder Boxer

What did they say in response to that? Did they accept your app after that?

11. belmir

belmir Avid Boxer

hi stryder
    yes they accepted my game
    when he contacted me by phone they told me we were looking for native code applications, because when they scan application they find that code does not generate buildbox bizar.
    in my opinion the names that I gave to my UIs also it is by default, and also I explain that it is a motor of game which generates the code
    try to put correct names on your UIs

Stryder and spicedbeangames like this.
  12. spicedbeangames

spicedbeangames Miniboss Boxer

That is very interesting. Perhaps Buildbox could add this to their documentation on submitting apps. @Sean Buildbox

itzonator, Stryder and belmir like this.
  13. Stryder

Stryder Boxer

Thanks Belmir! Glad they ended up accepting your game. This is indeed very interesting... I renamed all of my ui and worlds so i'm not sure why they keep rejecting it. I'm going to resubmit one more time and if I get rejected I'm going to speak to the rep.

belmir likes this.
  14. itzonator

itzonator Serious Boxer

Voodoo and other big publishers have special relationship with Apple, they can get away with few things as they pump a lot of money into Apple for advertizing and maybe some other deals. In fact, Voodoo announced that they are working on agreement with Apple not to reject apps made for Voodoo, since that's their ecosystem.

belmir likes this.
  15. itzonator

itzonator Serious Boxer

Actually it does, it looks like Mario to me, stay away from 2D platform games, I also made a platformer game, but I made it physics-based, and that's why was approved, first they labeled it as a spam and they approved it because of my explanation of why I feel the game is different. There's a little message from Apple that if you keep getting spam games / apps that do not contribute enough based on their evaluation process, your account can be terminated. So I do not know how much you have to "spam" to get your developer account closed. So think twice before submitting a game to Apple.

belmir likes this.
  16. belmir

belmir Avid Boxer

hi itzonator
    with your logic if I develop a 3D game type royal battle bah it also looks like fortnite, pubg ....
    all 2D platform games look like mario what's normal is a type of game but it's not even gameplay neither design nor story
    so for me this and nothing to see, so on store I saw games same design looks like a mario and game play mem history has 1M telechargement +
    for me aprise a game on apple store it depends on which verification team you fell