Bb3 Users, Post Your Impression And Bugs You Found.

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by harbime, May 26, 2019.

1. tvalleau

tvalleau Boxer

Seems many here are going back developing for 2D instead. My question is are you using BB3 in 2D mode, or going back to the original BB2?

2. PunkPuffin

PunkPuffin Avid Boxer

I have really only been doing 3D in BB3 so a switch back to BB2 would be a change back to 2D for me

3. Rusted

Rusted Avid Boxer

I have one issue....in the template for the little choo choo train that carries cargo...if train tips over and cargo falls onto the path instead of the ground...there is no way for “if collision” to end game....stupid to ya e to make a reset navigation button but as of right now that is the only way to end/restart the game. We need a collision with path node option. Just an observation.

4. Novum Dives

Novum Dives Boxer

I want to like it, but can't while I still wait for even basic documentation. Releasing software without even descriptions of features and tools found in the software is ludicrous. No developer hoping to be taken seriously should even consider that an option. The notion that it's a "foundation" is disingenuous. It's not fully functional software, period. Bugs are one thing...all software requires updating, patching and fixing...but releasing software that has undocumented features is lazy and irresponsible. The users of the software pay money for a working product, and it's not one.

amit gilad and nyamuk91 like this.
  5. Rusted

Rusted Avid Boxer

Yea I’d like to see at least the provided templates work. Stuck doesn’t...progression doesn’t. My comment above makes that template kind of not worth expanding on...that breakout template is really bad. The ball reacts nothing like common vector to angle type stuff. My 6year old plays tons of games and I see these templates “look” like them but they do not come close to performing as a basic template. I’m not asking for the templates to be finished games...however when I watch the little video showing what is suppose to happen and then load that template...play it straight as is...and it NOT play as it shows...is disappointing Using voxelbox is useless as well. For BB2 to ha e been a pretty good no coding software, BB3 is going to be such a long learning curve I may find myself not feeling it’s worth the year or more just to figure it out. I tried to make a scrolling background...like in BB2....can’t without building it in 3D...that was a big downer. Exporting of assets needs to have a big rework as well. If I want to export the buggy it exports only the body...no wheels...I have yet to be able to figure out or find aanywhere...how they built that choo choo car with the cargo. BB3 is a very frustrating software...it looks great...not yet quite user friendly. No coding maybe...extremely heavy on node connection.

Since they asked. Right now I give BB2 4/5 stars and BB3....2/5

I will say...the best thing BB has going for them...or going for “us”...is Zach and his tutorials. That is one smart guy and fantastic at tutorials.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    nyamuk91 likes this.
  6. nyamuk91

nyamuk91 Boxer

People wouldn't care as much if this software is free. But since it's paid (and very expensive too), people expecting a lot more. And Buildbox failed to deliver even the basic stuff. They would say that we are paying for BB2, and BB3 is just a bonus but I'd say that's bulls**t too. When was the last time BB2 got updated? I'm so disappointed. I actually managed to learn Unity while waiting for them to fix BB3 issues lmao

thatguyminib likes this.
  7. thatguyminib

thatguyminib Serious Boxer

Honestly, I won't be resubscribing. I mean I haven't even really used BB3, which is the product I subscribed for in the first place.

Every release I open it to see that nothing has changed or improved and close it again. This has been going on for more than half of my subscription time. $199 straight down the drain and it is SUPER frustrating.

8. Josh (Nology Games)

Josh (Nology Games) Avid Boxer

We at buildbox have focused on building the core of Buildbox 3. Now that the core has been completed, we can start working on the outer layers of Buildbox. We do appreciate any and all patience.
    We have all been excited for this release, I know that once we get the outer layers completed we will than be able to focus on any bugs and tutorials as needed.

For any other issues we kindly ask you to send emails to support@buildbox.com as it is the only way for us to see what issues are arising.

9. wayne_martell

wayne_martell Avid Boxer

I'm going to throw something at you here. Make side scrolling platformer template with all the animation for run idle and jump with the key for movement, and one for an RPG template with 8 way movement. You showed us both of these in the last few demos to get us hyped up, surely it can't be that hard to make a template out of them or share what you did. This might help curve the frustration that we are having and stop you guys from getting so much heat. At least we could look at the files and start figuring out for ourselves. I know it's not easy !

10. harbime

harbime Boxer

Josh, thank you for posting here. What is the "core" and "outer layers" thing in developments? this is something we never heard of. Developing any software is usually goes planned, with milestones and key features, doing heavy quality testing prior releasing, and then version management. It focus on providing core functions "Bug Free", and have high priority to address major bugs and user concerns. The "outer layer" thing should take the least focus since it is mainly providing some "smart" assets and maybe templates, which can be done through any knowledgeable user and not must the programmer, and only can be worked on if the core functions are fully robust and stable.
    Doing opposite is like adding decorations and accessories to a car that is barely moves, if at all.

If you have a problem with your lead programmer leaving (which I suspect), then why releasing BB3 from the beginning? This is considered taking customers lightly and maybe something worse!

11. rjp996tt

rjp996tt Boxer

BuildBox as a company has to be the worst messaging and communication in the history of software development...what was all the Trey comments about "Final" release and the Dev Blogs (when they came out) about the build up to a "Final" release...only to find out that was the "core" and now the focus can turn to "outer layers" and bugs fixes...this is a sad joke and been a waste of time and money.

12. shahar.m192

shahar.m192 Avid Boxer

- For me the biggest problem here is that on older phones the apk is run horribly slow.
    - The problem with mesh if you choose collision mesh the software crashes and you cant erase your older meshes you imported.
    - You created tons of nodes that "no coders" can not understand what to do with.

13. Max Huchthausen

Max Huchthausen Boxer

I (we) NEED documentation on how to use the nodes!!!!!

14. Novum Dives

Novum Dives Boxer

It's the notion that documentation is unavailable for what has already been released that's frustrating. I understand tutorials are very time consuming. But full documentation for current features is sort of day-1 stuff.

BTC Studio likes this.
  15. PunkPuffin

PunkPuffin Avid Boxer

@Josh (Tekanology)

With all due respect Josh why has the hype been about a no coding game engine and yet the final release if it is the core only. Working on an "outer layer" now is a bit late. To be honest we need bugs to be fixed now before an "outer layer". I totally get peoples frustrations. The new lights are nice, linkers could be useful but what the community is crying out for is NODES. Some of the nodes still don't work and some templates don't work. I have been helping people on the forum and posting nodes so I have been for BB3 to succeed but I haven't really even opened BB3 more than a few time since its release as it crashes everywhere for me. I have reported numerous issues to support and sent enough crash reports to drown support for weeks.

I believe a hot fix should be coming out daily as bugs are fixed to help us move forward and not pile them up and release some magical fixed release in a few weeks time. That would also ease peoples minds knowing it is all in hand and stuff is regularly coming, this also makes communication less of a requirement as we see things happening. I'd also suggest a Release Notes page.

nizarawi likes this.
  16. TreySmith

TreySmith Moderator

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the feedback! I've read it all, and I'm very sorry that we have not hit the expectations in documentation and feature set. It seems documentation is the biggest pain point, and I apologize for that. I agree we failed you there. I promise you this will be the first thing we work and focus on. This was a large project for us, that was delayed as you all well know, and I will make sure the first thing we work on is more documentation and then more nodes and smart assets to make the software easier to use.

I do have a question though about documentation:

My idea for documentation inside Buildbox 3, was to only focus on having advanced help inside the software. What do you guys think about this? Instead of having a manual, expand upon the "Tips" system we've built and the tutorial system that plays the first time you open the software (imagine having tons of tutorials). So for each node we have a tip so you can read about it, and then expand that to see more information. I felt it would be easier to have everyone learn while using the software instead of on Youtube or a Manual... do you agree?

Thanks, as always, for the feedback guys.

PunkPuffin likes this.
  17. Rusted

Rusted Avid Boxer

Well heck, I thought we were suppose to be able to make a game with the release. The “core” is hugely complicated. “Outer layers” sounds terrifying. With BB2 I was able to make a game in about a week and released one in about 2 weeks. It was perfectly user friendly. That is now gone.

BUG report...because this thread was asked to post them here.

Bug 1. The “Stuck” template in new games does not work as even a basic template.

Bug 2. The “Ball Flipper” ball does not bounce with vector to angle function, not even close.

Bug 3. In “ISO car” the cargo cannot collide with the game path and therefore if the car flips over the cargo cannot end game.

Bug 4. In “ISO car” if you try to duplicate a wheel or even the entire car to make like a choo choo train...it destroys all linkers.

Bug 5. In “Space Buggy”...or any game for that matter...you cannot export the buggy as a whole...you ha e to export each part and build the entire buggy from scratch. This seems to defeat the purpose of exporting IMO.

Bug 6. The “Progression” template will not let you play all the scenes...you can remove all the finish lines and randomize scenes to make an endless game and it will not show any scenes...

I’m going to copy and paste this into a support ticket also

akshayartpawar likes this.
  18. PunkPuffin

PunkPuffin Avid Boxer

@TreySmith i like the idea of having more detailed tips in the software so I don’t need to leave it.

19. Rusted

Rusted Avid Boxer

@TreySmith sir what I feel we need is working examples, and about 10 Zach’s making tutorials. That guy is great. I see many things is just the templates and no way of even coming to close to understanding how they were managed to be built. I can tell you chances of me personally reading a manual is near zilch.

Tutorial take a lot of time I get that...but following and building as I watch them conveys exactly how to get certain things done. So as far as I’m concerned you can fill that tutorials tab to the brim

akshayartpawar likes this.
  20. Jaro

Jaro Avid Boxer

@trey Remember about new users. Not everyone worked on BB2. Description of advanced options in BB3 for such users is not enough.