Bb3 Users, Post Your Impression And Bugs You Found.

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by harbime, May 26, 2019.

1. harbime

harbime Boxer

Greetings BB3 users

For those who downloaded the official BB3 release, would you please post your impression about it and if any bugs found? specially when exporting to the supported platform.

Thanks in advance

2. harbime

harbime Boxer

And also where is the Master Collection has gone? I don't see it anywhere in the www.buildbox.com web site.
    How can I get it?

3. PunkPuffin

PunkPuffin Avid Boxer

@harbime Master Collection is no more.

The Smart Assets seems to crash BB3 a lot for me

Nodes that didn’t work in earlier versions still don’t work correctly. For example Move which should have been fixed long ago

mohamed awad likes this.
  4. nizarawi

nizarawi Boxer

the final version is not stable
    a lot of crash

5. harbime

harbime Boxer

Thanks Punk

Do you see these bugs and crashes as major barrier that prevent making use of BB3, or they are just medium or minor issues?

Also I'm very interested to know how porting games to mobiles (Android, iOS) is going, because I heard some users complaining that their games crashes often in the mobile. If so, then what is the point of having great features in BB3 but cannot make bug-free final games?

6. PunkPuffin

PunkPuffin Avid Boxer

@harbime I can't speak for others but my opinion is that there are still a number of issues in BB3 that range from minor to major. It would appear from comments in the forum that encountering issues in development and post build greatly depends on what features you have in your game. For me the basics of BB3 are very limiting and I was hoping for more from the release and the new Nodes and Assets. I feel they missed an opportunity to wow the users with some neat nodes and assets at the higher level. I was disappointed.

I'm making sure I have a backup plan so I'm also learning Unity with the Playmaker, Bolt, Doozy UI, Forever and Easy Mobile Pro assets.

I was really hoping that the release of BB3 would plug a few holes but not having done that has left me and no doubt others wondering when and if it will fill the gaps.

Rattlehead likes this.
  7. wayne_martell

wayne_martell Avid Boxer

It's bit hard to judge with no real tutorials to get new users started. I couldn't even get a simple game off the ground :( I'm so sick of boxes and spheres I want some real animated character !!!

Rattlehead likes this.
  8. harbime

harbime Boxer

Thanks everyone.

As you can see from my profile I'm new here and I asked these questions because I was so eager to purchase BB3 specially after seeing all these amazing demonstration videos, but let me ask you about the BB support: When I tried to purchase the pro subscription, I faced problems where my purchase didn't' go through, and I sent several messages to the support email without receiving any answer, until I had to personally contact @sean here in the forum and send him private message, then he appointed me to one of the sales reps. So I started to get worried about the BB support quality that I'll get after purchasing!!

Also I barely see any contribution of BB team here in the forums to answer customer's questions and complains.

So what do you think guys regarding the BB support you are getting, are you happy with it?

9. PunkPuffin

PunkPuffin Avid Boxer

I have to say I’ve found the support team to be good. I usually get quick replies but occasionally they n Ed s second prod with a follow up email

10. nyamuk91

nyamuk91 Boxer

The support team has been great so far. But yeah, they rarely posted in this forum. I usually contact them through support@buildbox.com and usually will get reply within 1 working day

11. harbime

harbime Boxer

Ok thanks

Some more questions please:

1- Do you recommend purchasing BB3 now?
    2- Is it true that to save your work, you must be connected to the internet? and sometimes it won't work and you could lose all your work? I saw this on one of youtube videos.

Thanks

12. Jackazoid

Jackazoid Avid Boxer

No problems whatsoever with crashing after messing around with 3.0 for a few hours (Macbook pro)
    Would be very helpful if they explained "processing" and some other new nodes.

-- Maybe it crashes for some because of internal memory or some other specs --

13. Colin MH

Colin MH Boxer

Impressions so far:

Crashes a lot. Need to save often but it really saps the fun out of it.

Exporting assets is good but this means you need to spend a lot of time building your database of assets.

Lack of documentation. Tutorial is way too basic. Trawling through the forums for help is like digging gold. There are some nuggets but many posts are just red herrings.

No explanation of how to use linkages or how to use level path. No explanation on parent / child.

No discernible way of determining the total distance of each scene/world, unlike BB2 where the scene distance is displayed.

Templates are too basic. There should be at least 1-2 full game templates with all the bells and whistles to show what the software can do and for new users to fiddle around and learn how to it works. Bells and whistles = fully developed characters, enemies, sounds, UI, UI controls, all obstacles and gameplay fully fledged with at least 10 levels, scoring system with achievements (e.g. perfect moves, new high score), timer countdowns, shops to choose characters, haptic feedback, basic AI where an enemy chases the character, different enemies which show off the smart assets, etc. Physics switched on where relevant and not like the existing templates. Recommended guidelines on the best scene distance length because slowdowns on phones can be expected.

Tried the gate and key feature using the draw template. I don't think it is working. The player can go through the gate without opening it. When set physics on, the gate opens but the physics collider doesn't follow and the character will still "collide". ???? The same applies when using smart assets to rotate. The skin moves but the physics collider doesn't. Still don't know why this is the case.

Collision shapes are often out of sync and have to keep checking.

If multiple scenes, the start and end level points are difficult to match up seamlessly. Gaps keep appearing. Often have to set end level point a few pixels before the actual ending scene.

The Mind Map is not touched up. Last world selected not highlighted and keeps showing the default zoomed out view. Can get lost as to which world or UI was just modified. Cannot multi select in the mind map.

Tried to export to iOS. Glitches appear on the phone. Android is ok.

Textures don't work all the time. Cannot find documentation on the recommended sizes. Sometimes it can show up on editing screen but not on the live previews.

Overall feeling: Sigh. :(. Moving back to BB2 as it is much too stressful. Wish the team had followed their own advice and polished the software before releasing it. Here's hoping they can get it sorted and focus on the basics instead of working on stuff like highly detailed RPG demos which are hardly hyper casual / minimal which appeals to non coders.

14. wayne_martell

wayne_martell Avid Boxer

I'm the same BB3 it's just not ready for full production games just not enough tutorials and you need to code to get it past the post. So I'm going back to BB2 it's totally drag and drop and the bugs are ironed out !

15. Colin MH

Colin MH Boxer

Forgot to mention that the Preview Specific Scene button in BB3 doesn't work. Will default to the first world all the time.

16. Coldwilson

Coldwilson Avid Boxer

I simply can't understand why the BB team have said nothing about proper tutorials and a user guide/manual since launch. It's been almost a week. I'm also going back to BB2 to focus on that. I have to stop coming to these forums for a while as the lack of information and the status of this final release is making me miserable and I'll just start ranting and I don't want to do that as I think it will be fantastic and the team are no doubt working themselves into the ground on this.

But, this hasn't been handled at all well...

17. Sean Buildbox

Sean Buildbox Serious Boxer

Hey guys we are working on documentation and new node’s/smart assets to make the software easier to get into

This release was all about the foundation. Now that we’ve laid that down, we’re solely focused on content to make a Buildbox easier and more effective for the community. We are reading and notating all feedback, any crash bugs we always highly recommend sending any details to support@buildbox.com if you haven't already.

nyamuk91 likes this.
  18. Coldwilson

Coldwilson Avid Boxer

Thanks for responding Sean.

I think what would be a huge help to the community is a weekly or fortnightly forum update on where things are. Blog is good but that's a different purpose I think. I followed Shroud of the Avatar development kickstart for a couple of years and they issued regular updates to show what's in plan for the next month and what's had to get moved out due to issues. It had a great calming effect and kept things positive. An approach like this might overcome Trey's fear (with good cause) of giving dates by making things less kind of thrown over the wall :)

19. harbime

harbime Boxer

Yes I think the focus should be on fixing bugs not making new contents. Hot fixes should be release ASAP (some companies provide them daily) to address major bugs. Otherwise loosing customers and reputation will be the result.

I'm holding my purchase decision right now to see how these issue will be handled.

PunkPuffin likes this.
  20. PunkPuffin

PunkPuffin Avid Boxer

I've pretty much moved to Unity. I haven't touched BB3 since the release as it keeps crashing one me. I might use BB2 for 2D as that is stable and games are being released all the time in that.

What still concerns me is that publishers still seem to be asking people for Unity conversion.