Bb3 - Getting Started?

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by Coldwilson, May 23, 2019.

1. Coldwilson

Coldwilson Avid Boxer

Hi,

downloaded BB3 from account page and been having a quick play for the first time. I've been a BB2 user for about 18 months and finding the new approach a little confusing as BB2 more or less gave you everything on the screen (within context), whereas this is far more layered so things like logic, actions, object linking have vanished. Not necessarily a bad thing but it will take some getting used to.

Anyway, what I would hope is that today/tomorrow the team will get some good user guides out there as there's not much in the support section at the moment.

What's driven this post is that, I played with the car example, which is great, and wondered how the objects where joined. I saw these things called linkers and link motor. The trouble is I can find no way of creating a link between objects or delving into their function. I can see them mentioned in the javascript for the chassis but other than that it's a total mystery. There's very little on these mentioned in the forums.

Linking objects is a very basic requirement so I would have thought this might be easily spotted.

Hopefully some good manual/guides are on their way out very soon as I'm sure many users will find things quite tricky at first.

2. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Boxer

3. Coldwilson

Coldwilson Avid Boxer

Yeah, I've searched all the forums and watched all the demos but it doesn't cover these new linkers. Nick mentions that they're cool (and I expect they really are) in one post as part of BB3 testing but it doesn't mention any details.

I'm sure stuff will follow but I assumed guides would be released today as part of the code release. It's late here in the UK so perhaps they'll be out tomorrow.

4. steves

steves Boxer

Anyone get the links to the release yet?? I did not get my email.

5. thatguyminib

thatguyminib Serious Boxer

Honestly a couple of guides should have been out for release. Specially to all the new people coming in that don't know how to code. They are going to be freakin lost!

Rattlehead likes this.