Delay From Restart Checkpoint

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by Larry Pendleton, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Larry Pendleton

Larry Pendleton Boxer

Hi all, I have a Restart Checkpoint that is working fine. What I am doing is offering the player the ability to start from your last checkpoint you crossed, by watching a Reward Video. What I would like to do, is delay after the video has played, and give the user a chance to get ready to play.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    -Larry

2. Josh (Nology Games)

Josh (Nology Games) Avid Boxer

Do you mean, delay the scene from playing?

3. chrissy_wissy2

chrissy_wissy2 Avid Boxer

You can try adding a navigation button on top of the revive video button and set the interval the same to that button, untick the block touch through option, and make the navigation button go to another new UI where you have a time out which then goes to the scene after 3 seconds for example

4. Larry Pendleton

Larry Pendleton Boxer

This is working, thank you, but the delay is happening on the world in a Game Over state, displaying my character in his death frame animation. I would like to delay to happen when starting over (even in a new game) and at the checkpoint being restarted at. I've tried to move the time out UI between the game world and the game world ui, (see image), but with the Time Out Observer checked to Pause World, my character is still falling with gravity.
    [​IMG]
    Mind Map - 11-3-18.png
    Currently my setup is: Keep Delay UI between game world with the Delay (EO) set to 1000 ms, and Pause Current World unchecked. I created an Action that will set the Game World Settings with 0 Forced Movement (x&y), and 0 Gravity and a delay of 1 second.

This works great, but now I have a new issue, I have this action added to the start scene at the players position, os it has an immediate effect, and it's working as it should, but when I restart at a scene checkpoint, there's no delay obviously because there is no action at that position in the scene. The problem is if I add that action to the scene at the checkpoints, then in normal game play, you will collect the checkpoint, and the action at the same time. This won't work, as this should only pause when you are restarting the game from that checkpoint.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    -Larry

5. Josh (Nology Games)

Just enable pause when the UI is up. You can do it in the settings

6. Larry Pendleton

Larry Pendleton Boxer

@Tekanology - I have looked for this in settings, and cannot find it. Can you post a screen?

Thanks
    -Larry

7. Josh (Nology Games)

okay, here's how I did it, Place a Menu jump under you character on the start scene, in its settings you can click "Pause current world" and then just leave a blank UI with a only one invisible button "Back" by doing this, it will run pretty smoothly.

8. Larry Pendleton

Larry Pendleton Boxer

@Tekanology
    Yup, this works, but I still have the issue of not having that same pause at a checkpoint, and if I copy/paste this same menu jump at a restart checkpoint position, then I hit it just during normal game play, this interrupts the flow. My goal is to have this delay on a game over/restart from checkpoint reward button.

It might help if you can skype and I can screen share, or pass you a link to my bbdoc?

Thanks

9. Josh (Nology Games)

If you like, send the BBDoc to Discord@buildbox.com and explain in the email what you want and what you are okay with (meaning if I made a change, whether or not you would be okay with it.

10. Larry Pendleton

Larry Pendleton Boxer

11. Squiggz

Squiggz Boxer

12. Larry Pendleton

Larry Pendleton Boxer

@Squiggz Hello, yes I did. I have an Action setup to stop the Character movement for a couple seconds, then continue playing. I placed this action very close, but just under the checkpoints. So what happens now, is when I complete the video and my game starts back, I trigger the action setup at the checkpoint and it gives me a delay to get ready to play again.

Hope that helps you out.

-Larry

13. Squiggz

Squiggz Boxer

thanks for the reply!
    But doesnt this stop gameplay in the normal world ? like before a video is watch if you hit a checkpoint wouldnt you hit that action as well to stop char movement?

14. Larry Pendleton

Larry Pendleton Boxer

In my case, I use the reward video to continue after you have died, so the world is paused until the video is finished.

15. Squiggz

Squiggz Boxer

so you dont go to a gameover UI once your character dies?

16. Larry Pendleton

Larry Pendleton Boxer

Yes, I do, and that is where my reward button is. I have the Action Selection in the button as Restart Checkpoint.

17. lee.huu

lee.huu Boxer

Hi Larry, I'm new to buildbox, can you explain to me more about "I have an Action setup to stop the Character movement for a couple seconds, then continue playing"?
    My setup is a "Purchase Button" tap to watch reward video and call to action restart checkpoint, now I don't know create action to delay and how to trigger it.
    Thanks.

18. Larry Pendleton

Larry Pendleton Boxer

@lee.huu
    Hello, I will do my best to explain how I did this.

Basically this happens in 2 parts.
    Part 1:
    1. You have to create a Set Checkpoint Action and a Restart Checkpoint Action
    2. In your game scenes place your Set Checkpoints actions where you want to restart from
    3. In your Game Over UI, create an Action button, and assign it the Restart Checkpoint
    [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]
    Part 2:
    1. Create an Action using a dialog box, or speech bubble (add some text in it so it is part of the game)
    2. Place it directly underneath the Set Checkpoint actions in your scene, make sure the collider is set right so you are sure to hit it as soon as you restart
    3. Give the speech bubble action these GamePlay settings:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What that will do is when you Restart form the Restart button in the Game Over UI, it will put you at the last checkpoint you collected, then when you start the game again from the checkpoint, you will hit the speech bubble, which will pause your game for 2 seconds. You can set the delay longer or shorter.

Note: This is for the Flappy Bird template style game and is not the perfect solution. If you make the speech bubble invisible, and hit it, it creates and unknown pause in your game, which will make the user question if it is a bug in your game. That's why I use a speech bubble because it can act as a part of your game, as well as delay the restart checkpoint.

I hope that makes sense, and I hope it helps you out.

-Larry

lee.huu likes this.
  19. lee.huu

lee.huu Boxer

Thanks @Larry Pendleton.
    My game is horizontal gameplay, so I place delay action beside set checkpoint action, my char always delay 2s when moving next screen, I don't have any idea :(
    *[set checkpoint][delay]------------------[next checkpoin]|

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  20. Larry Pendleton

Larry Pendleton Boxer

Yes, thats the downside, to my knowledge there is no "pause" or "delay" on restart, so the action you have placed has to be part of the gameplay, my games pause is underneath my checkpoint I restart at, and it is a little dialog box, that pauses the game and displays a little bubble message to the user.

lee.huu likes this.