1 Year Of Game Dev! (second Half)

Discussion in 'Game Showcase' started by Starman, Dec 9, 2018.

?

Which game is your favorite? :D

1. Golf

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. White!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Spinner Portals 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Cave Rush

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Rolling Boudler

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Jump Pod

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  7. Cube Slide

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  8. Pocket Games

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Arrow

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Starman

Starman Avid Boxer

Hey! It's the second half of the series, be sure you checked my first half here before reading this one, enjoy! ;)

11th Game
    I think 3d looks really cool, so I did another one! But this time in another 3d software, I saw a render of a 3d game and tried to recreate the materials and lighting, but it doesn't seem possible in the software I'm using. Surprisingly, I learned this one pretty quick, in only 3 days, I'm used to it and know how to use most of the functions. This is what I did on the first day, took me a few hours because I've only seen one tutorial before I did this :D
    [​IMG]
    Golf - July 6th

12th Game

I got really excited after seeing the render of Golf, so I went on to do a second one the next week (was on vacation:)) I did this as a quick practice, to get familiar with the keys and interface. After an hour of so I've created my second render in the software, very happy with the result.
    [​IMG]
    White! - July 14th

13th Game

I had an idea for a game with a mix of 3d elements and 2d effects. Now this is a complete game I created with the team, so the whole project took the team 26 days. But the initial mockup render still only took me a few hours, just the exporting and annoying stuff for the rest of the time :confused: I'm glad with the results, but looking back I think I over did the effects that some parts doesn't appear 3d anymore :rolleyes: This is also a sequel to a game I did in June - Spinner Portals, I made the game more exciting, harder, also added in currency, different planets and a story scene in the beginning ;)
    [​IMG]
    Spinner Portals 2 - July 19th to August 14th

14th Game
    After 26 days of development I got a bit tired of 3d :rolleyes: Back to some 2d! Also during this period of time the studio merged with Cali Animation, and started creating templates as well to sell on codester. This one was going to be a template, but the graphics turned out so good we decided to take it in as our own game. I too think it was awesome, and was really surprised to get so much better at 2d even though I haven't been doing much of it in the past month. I am incredibly proud of this, one of my biggest breakthroughs in graphics. :)
    [​IMG]
    Cave Rush - August 2nd

15th Game
    Motivated by the result of Cave Rush, I continued with 2d. This time trying with the brush tool...using a mouse:eek: Of course not all the elements, I'll break my wrist doing that lol. Just small twigs and few icons. It looked really good in this style, unbelievable realistic. But only works in this style, so I never did it again.:p
    [​IMG]
    Rolling Boulder - August 3rd

16th Game

With my last attempts being pretty successful, I'm a little more brave to try new things now. So I tried doing 2d with extrusion effects to make it look 3d (I know not as much of a breakthrough :D) I wanted to work on this game with the team, so took me 3 days on graphics but we didn't finish it. In terms of graphics, the results aren't as good, but it was okay, I still like it.
    [​IMG]
    Jump Pod - August 4th to August 7th

17th Game
    After a few more detailed game I decided to change it a bit and work on something small and fun again. So with my team we worked on a small, ambient game as a template. It took me 10 minutes to finish all the mockups for UIs and stuff, and two more days for everything to get completed. So after 3 days, the game is ready. We put it up on codester and it went on to be one of the best selling templates on the platform, with 30 sales in total! :D I'm really proud of this, and this game's been an amazing experience to me. :)
    [​IMG]
    Cube Slide - August 5th to 8th

18th Game
    Back to large projects! This is an idea the team came up with, and wanted to put into production. Which means I'll work on it for a long time, which I did, 7 days non-stop! :eek: Endless revisions, style changes...etc. This is when I realized I'm not as experienced in graphics and game dev as I thought :confused: I focused majority of the effort on my UIs, which was a mistake. A style that looks good for UI won't necessarily look good for the gameplay. Turns out this project is biting off more than we can chew (ahh...3rd time for me, I should've known better) and we ended up spending weeks on something we can't complete with the resources we have. I like the UI I came up with at the end anyways :p (Left)
    [​IMG]
    Pocket Games - August 12th to quite sometime later

19th Game

Summer vacation's over...OVER!!:( but I've learned much and it's been an incredible experience for me, can't wait for the next one :D. Back to a small project again, this time not so fun, since school started... Anyways, a simple one with a flappy bird gameplay. Some glow effects and background, took me around 2 hours and it was ok. I think of things like these as a practice to keep my skills from getting rusty. :)
    [​IMG]
    Arrow - September 2nd

Man it's getting late, gotta head for bed. Which means there will be a third part :D Sorry to end on a low point, was going to stuff everything here but didn't expect there to be so much:eek: Not a bad thing, really great memories in summer. And as always tell me what you think, and feel free to share your stories. I'd love to hear them :) Look out for the third part, coming...next week (only got time on weekends:(), the best is yet to come ;)

2. NeedSomeHelp

NeedSomeHelp Boxer

looks great! which program did you use for the 3d graphics?

3. TheGameAppStudio

TheGameAppStudio Serious Boxer

The Second half is much better than the first :) .Its like watching a movie where the first half is bit dragging :p .Btw were these games made for the clients?Anyhow its well polished and Good Job.

Starman likes this.
  4. Starman

Starman Avid Boxer

Thanks man! No these are my own games I work with the team to create ;) But I did do a few client works as well in the past months

TheGameAppStudio likes this.