1 Year Of Game Dev! (first Half)

Discussion in 'Game Showcase' started by Starman, Dec 8, 2018.

?

Which game is your favorite? :D

1. Break the Bars

2. Dodge!

3. Speed Plane

4. Wall Bounce

5. Star Bound

6. Forward

7. Spinner Portals

8. Touch 'N Go

9. Flip

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Starman

Starman Avid Boxer

Hey guys! It's the end of my first year in game dev, it's been really exciting and I can't wait to show you my progress this year ;)

1st Game

I am new to game dev when I created the game, knew little about graphics, ui design and gameplay...etc. So this is more of an experiment for me to see how this all works. It took me 5 months to make, and looking at the final version I see many improvements that can be made. Good enough for a first I guess :D
    [​IMG]
    Break the Bars - January to May

Third game??:confused: Forgot where the files went for a few games. Anyways, I got a little better with the graphic software. I know how to use gradients now, and started playing with shapes to create shadows, having a 3d like effect. Also learned to create artboards to create mockups for uis and also get an idea of the gameplay scenes. Only spent 1 day on it as I quickly lose interest and wanted to do something new. It's simple, and far from finished, yet is an important stage for me.
    [​IMG]
    Dodge - April 21st

4th Game
    Been learning more about graphics, following tutorials and looking at other games. I learned more advanced stuff, the plane was created from tracing an image, and used directional gradients for different parts. I spent around 2 weeks on this game, and the end result is something I can be more proud of. :)
    [​IMG]
    Speed Plane - April 29th to May

5th Game
    I wanted to challenge myself to create something really polished and detailed. I know this is biting off more than I can chew, but for some reason I insisted on finishing it, which never happened. I learned about this feature called 'styles' which lets you easily stylize an object. So I found a few files online, mix and matched to make it my own. Although it worked, the project quickly fell apart because I'm still not good with colors, UI...and pretty much anything needed in a game. Still happy I learned a lesson. ;)
    [​IMG]
    Wall Bounce - May 5th to a few weeks later

6th Game

It's time for the BB game jam! Also my first game jam, I created a team on crowdforge, which quickly became the largest team (I thought the bigger the better) It went ok. But was a pain in the ass to manage everyone and get them to come online. So I ended up working with part of the team that was active. We did finish a game (entered our submission minutes before it ended...phew) It was really fun to work in a team, and we decided to form a studio to create games together long term.
    [​IMG]
    Star Bound - June 1st to 3rd

7th Game

My first game made working in my new team :D It was a great experience, working in a team of around 4 people is way more fun for me. My graphic skills are a little better now, and I can finally start focusing on coming up with a better gameplay first instead of struggling to come up with fitting graphics. Only took me a few days to do the visuals, I'm getting more used to the game dev process now.
    [​IMG]
    Forward - June 5th to June 10th

8th Game

My second game with the team. I focused little on graphics, and more on getting the game to be fun and addictive. The graphics only took 1 day and the whole game took 3 days. Though it is a simple one the plan to finish in 3 days is still a bit rushed. I did a png sequence for the background, my second time creating a png sequence. It's really cool, but not the best way if you are trying to reduce file size :p I had the most fun working on this game, it's simple, easy but addictive. Also enjoyed little success in the store.
    [​IMG]
    Spinner Portals - June 11th - June 14th

9th Game
    Still in the mood of short and fun projects, I created my ninth game. With a more unique gameplay and better character. The team needed some cash so I decided to sell this as a template, but we didn't sold any :rolleyes: Was a fun game to play myself anyways, the game is satisfying and challenging. I really like the idea, might remaster it sometime next year.
    [​IMG]
    Touch 'N Go - June 25th to June 28th

10th Game

I wanted to try going 3d. Which is a similar process to when I was learning 2d graphics, following tutorials and playing with the software. To avoid biting off more than I can chew...again, I took a few more days to learn about modeling. I'm really proud of the end product, with those simple 3d icons which looked not bad. I actually forgot to save the file and it crashed, I got mad an blamed my computer, but I realized that's not going to do anything. So I started off a new file again and surprisingly, recreated all of them in half the time. :)
    [​IMG]
    Flip - June 30th to July 1st

Well, that's it for the first half of my journey this year. Tell me what you think, what you like best and feel free to share your year as well! Would love to hear them ;) Also look out for the second half that I'll be posting tomorrow, way more exciting things to come as I dive deeper into game dev :D

2. luijo01

luijo01 Boxer

WOW! thats a lot of development, very inspiring indeed. And how about the revenue? :cool:

Starman likes this.
  3. MAC420

MAC420 Avid Boxer

What platform are these on Android/IOS?

Starman likes this.
  4. AaroArts

AaroArts Miniboss Boxer

Excellent work. A great start to a Game Dev portfolio. Keep it up

Starman likes this.
  5. ramiucef

ramiucef Avid Boxer

Great Job! keep it up ;)

Starman likes this.
  6. tributorock

tributorock Avid Boxer

I want to download games. Post the link please

Starman likes this.
  7. Starman

Starman Avid Boxer

So far only Break The Bars and Spinner Portals are released, check them out here! ;)
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/break-the-bars/id1370912914?mt=8
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/spinner-portal/id1399462641?mt=8

They are only on iOS so far, but I am considering Android soon ;)

Thanks:D I didn't pay much attention on the revenue this year, personally think I should try to get the skills to create good games first. But did put in a few ads and it was only around 50 bucks in total :confused: Don't worry that's on my plan next year :)

Also adding to the first part, I don't have any experience on graphics, design or even buildbox when I started in January this year:D I know it seems like a big jump from the first to the fourth or fifth, that's because I'm still trying to find the files for the ones between:confused:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    MAC420 likes this.
  8. Xoctrebla

Xoctrebla Avid Boxer

I know I've played one of these games, and would like to play more of these games.
    I can't tell if some of these were published and others not or if it's concepts and ideas that's been explored and lesson learned.
    If appstore links are available please share, thx :)