2d Terrain Images Generation For Scroller Game

Discussion in 'Level Design' started by aquamarine, Nov 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. aquamarine

aquamarine Boxer

Hi,
    does anyone know about a plugin for Buildbox that is similar to Unity 2d terrains generator? (this one: https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/level-design/ferr2d-terrain-tool-11653)
    I'm such a noob, sorry if it was already answered but search doesn't bring anything up.
    Are there any plugins for Buildbox at all?

I am making a racer 2D game (side scroller) and find it really hard to build terrain from many small shapes.
    Anyway, just terrain "image" generator, would help, even if it doesn't also create the physics collision objects (which the Unity plugin does).

Any ideas? :) Thanks in advance.

2. suth4rshan

suth4rshan Boxer

I think you can make it on Unity and use thoise sprites on BB if you want. That is how Unity works. for texturing, we edit em on PS or AI and then re-import to Unity.

if you want to check, Install Unity and Try this plugin. https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/2d/environments/tileable-2d-terrain-platforms-2d-rpk-22006

Then, Take sprites from Assets folder and use it on BB

or You can buy other Sprites pack from asset store and use it on BB. Just import them on Unity and copy the asset folder ;)

3. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

No, but as stated by the Buildbox team and Forum mod @Josh (Tekanology) this will be possible in Buildbox 3 final release. Buildbox 3 will be able to do everything Unity can (except AR and VR). Final release is coming in December 2018. :)

jcalle and adrogdesigns like this.
  4. aquamarine

aquamarine Boxer

wow guys this all sounds good! both things, the sprites export advice and BB3 :p . Thanks a lot! Will try to export sprites, sounds like perfect method, it means I can use any graphics related Unity plugin/generator to make any graphics and then just export it to BB.

5. aquamarine

aquamarine Boxer

by the way, I have the BB3 Beta, and wonder if it works only in 3D mode or both 2D/3D ? Because all game presets that I saw when I tried it, were only 3D, so I uninstalled and installed BB2, then started making my 2D game (it's my 1st time using either BB2 or BB3, totally new to this ecosystem, I never knew this product exists... while I knew all others, Stencyl, Construct, GM, Unity, Flash, I had flash games dev hobby back in 2006-2010, but recently just got back into this and want to make few mobile games for fun).
    Maybe I did wrong and better had to try to make the 2D game in BB3? To be able to utilize all new features when final version released.

I also didn't find any proper docs, google search for "buildbox 3D documentation" leads to this forum where others are asking "where are the docs?" hehe. I guess will just wait for all of that released and final, with the docs and full features. Sounds exciting :p

6. aquamarine

aquamarine Boxer

Cool, I am able to use the generator, and export stuff, just had to use the camera "snapshotting" feature in Unity because the plugin doesn't create PNG, just prefabs. But I put the camera looking straight at the generated level, and make a PNG with it. Works really well!

Attached Files:

suth4rshan likes this.