GWON - Game WithOut Name

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by mojpoj, Dec 28, 2015.

?

What should I name this game? (Here's the short list, comment with ideas)

Poll closed Jan 5, 2016.
  1. Zero Friction

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Color Up

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. TriDodge

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Travoid

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Triangle Blitz

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  6. Freaky Dots

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Push blocks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Color blocks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Avoid the Triangles

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Friction Free

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. GTE Games

GTE Games Avid Boxer

I wanted to create a new game and chronicle the entire process for others to learn from and maybe get inspired.

The idea is this: start with NOTHING and record the entire process. And I mean nothing, no idea, no graphics, no audio, nothing but buildbox and some graphics and audio editing software. I intend to use only open source (public domain) graphics and audio, and stuff I create myself.

Since I'm starting without an end state in mind, we'll just call the game "Game WithOut Name" GWON.

Two weeks after the official launch of the game, I intend to give away all source files (graphics, audio, bbdoc, etc). Maybe sooner.

This project was started yesterday morning (Sunday, Dec 27th). There is already 6 videos uploaded to Youtube and associated pages setup on the anetlabs website. Hopefully, I can have this finished by the end of the week, we'll see. And I'm trying to keep the videos within a self imposed limit of 15 minutes. Just to keep myself in check and not run on about nothing.

Again, I'm hoping this is useful to the new people getting their feet wet with buildbox and maybe inspire some folks. Happy buildboxing!

-----UPDATE 24JAN16

Youtube: http:///youtube.com/c/gtegames

-----Finished Game Dodgey
    iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dodgey/id1072308384
    Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gtegames.dodgey

-----Download source files
    http://www.filedropper.com/dodgey-open-source

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
    Ishamahes, thiendvm, swnam12 and 7 others like this.
  2. netkomm

netkomm Avid Boxer

I like the idea... keep it up! :D

Sean Buildbox and mojpoj like this.
  3. GTE Games

GTE Games Avid Boxer

Part 7 - Final Advanced Game Settings and Menu Design

A lot of menu stuff done today. Feel free to give some feed back on the palette and design style. I'm going pretty minimal on this.

Youtube - Part 7
    I have an "idea" in my head now for the game play, but needed to get the menus in order. I talk about why that was important to me in the video, but basically I want to be able to use the power ups during level design and development. More details on the website.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  4. GTE Games

GTE Games Avid Boxer

Part 8 - Complete menu design and walk-through

This was a very in depth look at the menu's and how the purchase buttons work at the coin shop. If you already know how to design menus and a good idea of how the coin shop works, skip this video. If you want to know about these things, then I suggest you watch.

Youtube - Part 8

OVERALL: Today was very busy, but the menus are done with the exception of possible tweaks. It was done in a bit of hurry, so I truly appreciate constructive feedback.

Forgot to mention in the video, but the official font that is going to be used in the game is Montserrat. Mostly because it looks nice, and partly because I have been to Bogota many times, but never got to go up (damn it Aaron!) :) It's also an island I haven't been to yet.

That font is what is used for the buildbox generated text. It's a pretty acceptable replacement for some of the graphics I created using "Avenir" (paid for font). Sorry, I didn't realize I was using a closed source font, and don't have the time/patience to go back and fix them all right now. The bold menu headers were created using "Agency FB" which is an open source font. More details on the website.

Developmental Screen Grabs
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  5. GTE Games

GTE Games Avid Boxer

Game Play and Level Design Started

It's all starting to come together and the idea I've been thinking of over the last couple days is finally starting to show some promise.

Please feel free to give some feedback. Thanks!

6. dmmcmah

dmmcmah Avid Boxer

How are you making the character change color?

7. GTE Games

GTE Games Avid Boxer

@dmmcmah Take a look at time 2:50 in the video above again. There is a graphic in the action animation that remains in place until another action is hit with a different color.

8. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Great videos. Thank you very much. It always is good to see how others work.

@dmmcmah:
    It works with actions. Each color is an action and the new PNG just replaces the old one for a certain time. Pretty simple.

Question:
    When you take a new color what happens when you go back? Do the enemies change too? Color Switch has this problem but people don't seem to care. But in your case it could be more of a problem because of the free movement.

9. GTE Games

GTE Games Avid Boxer

@Christoph No, the enemies don't change. I can't think of a way to make that happen. I have to designate each enemy through drop downs and there is no object or action that can change an enemy to a friend.

It could be a problem, will think on it and do some more testing. Maybe an invisible line that has one way pass through for the character.

I caught that with color switch the other day. My character changed to purple (from blue), but I could still pass through the blue circle below. :)

10. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Even worse, the purple one below will still kill you, even if you are purple now. Not funny at all. But as I said, since in Color Switch you go forward and never backwards, most of the people probably never will find out.

11. dmmcmah

dmmcmah Avid Boxer

Thanks

12. GTE Games

GTE Games Avid Boxer

@Christoph - You are correct. This proved to be a much bigger issue that I thought it would. Super easy to push enemies into the next scene, then change color and still get killed. Consulted with a professional and she seemed to think that making just triangles the enemies throughout the game would be the best thing to do, because "spiky thingies are always bad". :)

I'll keep building and testing. Too bad, I was really liking the color changing thing. :(

Christoph likes this.
  13. GTE Games

GTE Games Avid Boxer

Okay, game play and mechanics are working very smoothly and I'm very happy with how it's going.

Triangles are now the evil enemy, DON'T TOUCH THE TRIANGLES. Wanted to post a short video of what the final game play will look like. Now it's just creating and designing levels. (The fun part)

Christoph likes this.
  14. GTE Games

GTE Games Avid Boxer

Overview of what I accomplished today. Figured out how to get the power-ups purchase buttons to show the current inventory of the relative item. (yeah, it works).

I got several levels down, 8 total I think and they look pretty good. A lot of aligning, linking, copying and pasting.

Moving into the second portion of the game levels, we’ll start using the velocity properties and making the triangles spin.

Overall, very happy, but it’s new years eve, and calling it an early day! Happy New Year to everyone!

Christoph and colette_levesque like this.
  15. GTE Games

GTE Games Avid Boxer

Took a little break tonight to make a quick video. I am done with levels, audio, and menus.

Tomorrow will be polishing, setting ads up, and sending off to get built into apk and itunes formats.

I'm very happy with what I accomplished in under a week. Feedback welcome. Gets a little blurry at the end because the levels are going faster. :)

nickm33, pfg215 and Christoph like this.
  16. brakewind723

brakewind723 Serious Boxer

Hey @mojpoj, couldn't you have added a logic transform at the beginning or end of each level and set the position modifier to teleport the object away to stop the different colored objects passing into the next level ? Idk if this is a fix you would want, but it could work I believe. Great game btw!

17. GTE Games

GTE Games Avid Boxer

Thanks @brakewind723 Not sure what that would look like if objects just poofed off the screen. But it certainly seems like it would have worked. I'm way to far down the rabbit hole to go back now. :)

Also, I wouldn't be able to use different characters, because the actions were overlaying. I put quite a bit of work into the character animations. :)

18. brakewind723

brakewind723 Serious Boxer

Oh ok nvm then :D
    The game is really well designed!

mojpoj likes this.
  19. GTE Games

GTE Games Avid Boxer

I have about 30 done and will stop there. If the game is well received, then I will certainly do more.

Ishamahes likes this.
  20. Sporty

Sporty Boxer

Love the videos, exactly whats needed. Step by step in depth & informative, really appreciate the time & effort you have put in.
    Thanks

mojpoj likes this.