Guided Scene Looping

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by ironlion37, Nov 15, 2018.

1. ironlion37

ironlion37 Boxer

Hi everybody, in the attached image, I'm trying to achieve the effect of having a series of looped scenes. So for example, game play goes from Start to playing scenes 1, 2 and 3 randomly, then when scene 3 is hit it plays into scenes 4,5,6 which are then loading randomly. And through this process, when it finally get to the last scene, I want it to loop back into the beginning series of loops...

An example scene playthrough I'm trying to achieve might be: Start,2,1,2,3,4,6,8,9 and then loop back to the 1,2, or 3 random loading section.

The way I have it set up in the image doesn't work at all - probably because looped scenes have to have and end value of -1? So maybe what I'm trying to do can't be done (funneling sections of looped scenes one into the other and at the end - going back to the beginning.

Thanks for any input!

Attached Files:

2. Josh (Nology Games)

Josh (Nology Games) Avid Boxer

You pretty much have the right idea but if what you want is to have it go back to the start once it reaches the end then you may have to use something like a checkpoint at the last scene that takes you back to the start scene

3. ironlion37

ironlion37 Boxer

Hey thanks for the quick answer. I just tried using a checkpoint and the issue is that I'm creating a motor cross game and the restart checkpoint deposits the character in the first scene and the character is stopped. I'm trying to create an endless race effect so that doesn't work. I can randomize all the scenes but is there some way to weight how often a scene shows up? I have one special scene that I want to appear infrequently.

Or is there any other way besides a checkpoint to get a moving car back to the first scene?

4. Josh (Nology Games)

Josh (Nology Games) Avid Boxer

It's easy to have a scene to play frequently, you just need to have it reach from the start to the end of the timeline editor. But what you are trying to do is very tricky and to make it endless and loop back to the same type of sequence over and over makes it very complicated to do and unfortunately, the checkpoint idea is the only one I could think of. Maybe someone else has an idea

5. ironlion37

ironlion37 Boxer

Here's another approach. With scene 9 as the one I want to play infrequently, I have all scene ends set to -1. And it sort of seemed that dragging the beginning of scene 9 to the right made it less and less likely that it would show up (the further I dragged it). But I can't really tell. Is there any reason to believe that would be the case?

Attached Files:

6. ironlion37

ironlion37 Boxer

Yes, that seems to be working. However, what I can't do is funnel into a specific set of scenes and have them load randomly. All scenes just have to be random. It's a bummer because I want to be able to say send a character into a cave and then have them experience random cave scenes, but then when they come out go back into the main scene loop.

7. viking

viking Avid Boxer

Hello
    A solution could be to have same start and end distance in the timeline level editor
    Ex :
    Level 1 : start 0 end 1000
    Level 2 : same distance level 1
    Level 3 same distance level 1
    Level 4 : start 1000 end 2000
    It shoud play randomly level 1 or 2 or 3 then play level 4
    Hope that help