Buildbox Is Great, But....

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by streetmusic, Sep 17, 2018.

1. streetmusic

streetmusic Boxer

Hey,
    I have been watching all the videos and Trey's inside of the box stuff. Very nice support.
    However I would request something on the Character Control Parameters...For me it is a guessing game.
    I put the first scene I am working on based on a runner temple in this post.
    Oh.. I just tried and this forum doesnt accept bbdoc format????
    Ok. Deep breath.

I put 3 simple animations into that template. STAND STILL, RUN, JUMP
    STAND STILL
    Fine but the character keeps moving forward on its own....WHY and how do I stop this
    RUN
    That animation plays but when I push the opposite arrow button on my keyboard the software plays the same animation going backwards
    JUMP
    No Matter what key I press the JUMP animation doesnt play
    I am a newbie but come on..I need to know how to deal with these issues..
    Can someone please help me on these issues.
    Please make a tutorial on how the character parameters work line by line

Thanks

2. Vlad-NY

Vlad-NY Serious Boxer

3. jcalle

jcalle Miniboss Boxer

You can compress your BBDOC file to ZIP in order to attach it to the Forum.
    The animations do not stop once they are started, they have to press a button to stop them, or some action, for example, going to the left, the animation starts until the button on the left is released.

4. streetmusic

streetmusic Boxer

Hey
    Many thanks for your replies. I was touring and did not have access to the forums last month due to the schedule.. I saw these replies last week and once again I thank you for your help.

I have spent the last week watching more BB tutorials and started my first game...for all that are beginning I can share with you my first mistake...I tried to make the first game as a runner and had problems(which I hope some one can tell me whats going on with no jump).

after I saw the above videos I re-did the game USING THE PLATFORMER TEMPLATE...that worked like a charm...VERY NICE
    However I was having a strange thing happen with JUMP. Sometimes when the character is jumping the idle or move animation play during the jump...?????????.. I have also put that file in this post ENTITLED street4

I am attaching the first try with the runner template because I need to understand the software I really need to know why the jump can not being activated in the runner template....here is the zip file

There are still some problems, which are:
    1. Deleting unwanted images from the atlas does not work. I looked through the forums and google on how to solve this problem and I found a video of the gentleman above in the platformer tutorial explaining how to do this. However when I did everything he said the only option in BB under the TOOLS menu is to delete unused sounds. Nothing about deleting unused images. The 2 options just are not there regarding images

2. Because of the atlas issue I have mentioned above, I decided to make a new project to get all my assets correct before putting into my game project. I had some short .PNG animations I wanted to put in my main menu. How is that achieved please.. Do i just drag the animations into the image part of the circle???

As I was setting it up BB crashed.

When I restarted BB I opened the brain tree of my initial game project and the MAIN MENU UI node is missing a way to connect to the load of the world.
    THis seems to be a bug. Please bring it to Buildbox tech people attention...

I had saved this project and was not dealing with it until I could set up my assets and the the unrelated project and the the start link in the Main Menu UI has disappeared... I would like to understand this please

I have attached these 2 Buildbox documents and a screenshot of this messed up tree..

Thanks again

Last note:
    I am among many things an animator. I have worked for Nintendo, Sega in Japan and Sega of America on some games you have heard of. I also design software and tech. Ofer Alon that created Z-Brush invited me to create a plug-in for realtime animation in ZBrush a few years back at Siggraph ..still waiting for that to happen as thats a big organization now and I am pretty laid back and under and off of the grid. More on that stuff in a later post perhaps.

I really love what Buildbox is doing because I really hate having to deal with programmers to get stuff done..It is exhausting.

Not tooting my own horn but just trying to say how much I love this software and I would like to tell stories with it and set it up so my kids can tell their stories with Buildbox.

Cheers and once again Thanks for your help

END NOTE:
    I tried uploading these projects individually...The zip folders are 1.3 mb and the uploader tells me the file is TOO LARGE...sigh... can someone in the know let me email these to you to understand the problem

Attached Files:

5. rywnshyhq

rywnshyhq Boxer

@streetmusic
    For your UI, it looks like you are missing a navigation button in your Main Menu. This is why it doesn't connect to the game world. To fix this, open up your main menu and create a navigation button. Once you do this, you can then connect to the world.

6. streetmusic

streetmusic Boxer

Thanks so much for that solution...I put a Nav Button in and that fixed the problem..

I have been watching video after video every day but I can#t figure out some things...
    1. Why cant i get rid of unwanted images in the Atlases. There are no options to do that even though I Optimize and Rebuild (Please see the image grab below.
    2. I figured I would just start a fresh new project and Bring my streamlined assets into that and just start over.
    When I test the game the main character I put in IS BOUNCING UO AND DOWN...WHY IS THAT HAPPENING.
    I created the collision shape and touch no world parameters the template. I does it in 3 different templates but it did not do that in my previous project...I dont see that happening in the tutorials...Thanks for your help in advance

Attached Files:

7. The Pumpkin Studios

The Pumpkin Studios Moderator

Hi let me help you out with your problems
    1. Wha tou can do, is go to your atlas and optimize. if you still see something in your atlas that is unwanted, that means it is being used somewhere.
    if it NOT being used anywhere and still appearing in your atlas, just restart buildbox to get the project out of your memory and reload it, go to your atlas and press optimize again and viola! they are gone.

2. look at the templates already made and hover over its picture to see what they do. use the ones that works best for you

If the character is Jumping up and down, what oyu can do is 0 out the gravity, its jump, etc in the character settings that you can access after clicking the character from the left.

I would highly recommend watching the make your game series, its really really helpful and will solve most of your problems.

https://www.buildbox.com/make-your-own-game/

8. streetmusic

streetmusic Boxer

Hey
    Thanks for your reply.
    I got rid of the unwanted bouncing up and down by adjusting the gravity settings in that test scene so that is good.

However: Now come the problem in my main project that The main character will slow down to really slow when running or jumping..That just started over the weekend...not sure why? Maybe because I am working on an older Macbook Pro? My BBD project file is 16.1 MB on my hard disk..Could it be to big?

The jump animation still keeps getting replaced by the idle or move animations every now and again for a reason I cannot figure out.

Yes I have been studying the GLITCH Creation Series..I watch them all over and over...But the above problems aren't covered in them..Great stuff though thats helping me get it together.

Thanks for all your help

9. streetmusic

streetmusic Boxer

HOORAAY.!!.I FINALLY FIGURED OUT WHY THE OTHER ANIMATIONS WERE PLAYING DURING JUMP
    The Jump Time Out was set to .001 and I changed it to .01 and the animation only plays the JUMP now
    Also the Jump Counter was at 1 and I put it up to 1.5 and now it WORKS!!!

ALSO: I Figured out why the animations on the main character were bouncing up and down and fixed that also.
    I made the mistake of dragging my one picture character under the ball character in the template and dragging it to the top to be the first character when I should have just dragged it into the default window on the right character menu.

I then deleted the ball character...Obviously that did something weird...

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP AND PLEASE PASS ON THE ABOVE TO ANYONE HAVING THE SAME TYPE OF ISSUES.

CHEERS!!!

10. streetmusic

streetmusic Boxer

11. streetmusic

streetmusic Boxer

12. streetmusic

streetmusic Boxer

Can I please get some help with this last issue...I need the character to be in the middle of the scene..not to the left...I tried to investigate how to fix this and read the tutorials as well as search the internet for the solution but it really is not clear

"You can modify the "Show Game Frame" in Scene Editor.

[​IMG]

Page 13:
    https://www.buildbox.com/manual/

Please see several tutorials before asking questions.
    https://www.buildbox.com/tutorials/
    https://www.buildbox.com/guides/"

In the above images I put the game frame in the middle to try and fix this but then I see the previous scene in the window..

I was watching this video and the game maker has the character in the middle...How do I achieve this...

After I resolve this I am going to start a new thread tzo teach new people what I haver learned so far in using Buildbox

Thanks

13. streetmusic

streetmusic Boxer

I think I figured this out...I just moved the character and the Show game Frame both into the middle of the screen...DooHHH!!!!
    Will set up that new Thread with what I have learned so far...
    Also I will share with the Boxers vido of my first game..would like some feed back on the first 20 scenes before I do the other 50..
    Thanks for all your help