Ios Screen Size Issues

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by scott, May 1, 2018.

1. scott

scott Boxer

Using the latest version of Buildbox and working on a default portrait game. When I look at the game on an iPhoneX the character gets cut off because of the left & right platform settings. I know I can change these to see the entire character so it does not cut off the outside edge but doing that of course then cuts into the live field screen area on other device screens.
    I am sure that I am not the only one that has noticed this and wondering how others have dealt with it. Have they developed everything based on it looking and working best on the iPhone X, or are they using the Iphone 5 preview in BuildBox as a development guide for screen display.

FYI the app displays and works perfect on my Iphone 7+, and on the 6S. ( character not cut off ).- I don't think you are able to submit different xcode files for the same app based on device sizes so seems you have to try and boogie something together that sort of works across all devices so wondering how others have dealt with this.

I do not have an iPhoneX so not sure if the preview in BuildBox is showing me what an actual device would look like but I am assuming that its probably correct and the character is getting cut off some on the iPhone X on the left, and right sides. - Do you just live with it?

See snapshot enclosed.

Thanks to anyone that takes the time to read and reply.

I

Attached Files:

comicsmathias likes this.
  2. AndyG

AndyG Miniboss Boxer

Have you tried changing the params for Screen Adjustment in Settings?

fitwidth.png

3. scott

scott Boxer

Andy- thank you, my brother, I think that might have solved the issue, running through the preview now and testing it but looks to be the solution. - thanks much.

AndyG likes this.
  4. scott

scott Boxer

Hmmm - me thinks me spoke to soon, not sure that setting the screen adjustment to "Fit To Width" ( or Height for that matter ) solves the issue. The game playing field looks ok in the preview mode but when you land on the other screens like Game Over, etc. Playing with it now, will post back to let you, and others know if it solves the issue or what I needed to do in addition to this.

5. AndyG

AndyG Miniboss Boxer

On Game Over UI's play around with each elements Stick To Edge setting.
    The positioning can be affected for the better (or worse) by checking this box.

upload_2018-5-1_12-29-47.png

6. scott

scott Boxer

yup actually doing that now and playing with the background scale size on those screens as well. - seems I can get it perfect on some devices then when checking on another it is off. Thinking it will do-able , or livable but going to take some time to figure it out and tweak.

7. AndyG

AndyG Miniboss Boxer

yeah if you've done all of the things above then ultimately its positioning of elements to get everything aligned on each device size.
    iPhone X / iPhone all others / iPad (not including Android devices too). Some compromises may have to be made to get everything playing together. And never mind the $#%*@#$& iPhone X notch!!

8. Jooolz

Jooolz Boxer

Hi there! I'm going through the exact same problem: fit height / width does not apply to other UI screens. Just wondering if you found an optimal background size?

Thanks

9. Lakshay

Lakshay Boxer

@AndyG @Andy How can we adjust the screen with the notch feature.
    All the new mobiles are coming with this feature

10. AndyG

AndyG Miniboss Boxer

Not exactly sure what you mean but basically you have to position any elements to avoid that part of the screen!

11. Josh (Nology Games)

Josh (Nology Games) Avid Boxer

It's hard to get it perfect but the best way that I know is to go with the tablet size, it works the best on the other devices