Checkpoints & level jumps

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by evovi, Sep 30, 2015.

1. evovi

evovi Guest

I am still unsure despite a few people trying to explain. Can somebody start at the beginning for me one last time...

I have scene 1 fully complete and tested and i am currently building up scene 2 & 3 etc....

What i want to achieve is that when you get to a point at the end of scene 1 you jump into scene 2. I am told i need to create checkpoints.... I did this and my game crashes out :/

So my questions...
    What is the first type of checkpoint i create?
    Where do i put the first check point ie. at the start of scene 1 or the end?
    What type of checkpoint do i put in scene 2?
    Where do i put the first checkpoint in scene 2?

I ask because there are different types of checkpoints that are not registering in my head

2. Machine Rises

Machine Rises Serious Boxer

Hi @evovi this is very simple to do. Here I made up a simple mock up of how to warp between scenes.

The scene you want to warp from should have the "Next Checkpoint" action.
    The scene you want to warp to should have the "Set Checkpoint" action.
    You can put the Next Checkpoint where ever you want to. There are no rules other than the Next Checkpoint should appear before the Set Checkpoint that you want to match it with. Also the Set Checkpoint could even be in the same scene. Maybe you have a doorway that warps to a hidden area like "Cuby's Adventure." Just get creative and you will find lots of possibilites.
    Essentialy when you put a Next Checkpoint in the scene it will warp you to the next "Set Checkpoint that you drag in. But you also have to make your scenes appear in the order you want them to appear. So if you want your first scene to be going for 2000 then the next scene should not appear in your scene editor until 2000 or more.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
    arthurwinon and Sean Buildbox like this.
  3. evovi

evovi Guest

Hi thanks for your reply!

its starting to make a bit more sense now, i have replicated your settings for the check points and my game no longer crashes however now when i get to my first check point the checkpoint disappears from the screen upon collision and now warp happens. I have mirrored your settings from the example you kindly posted too.

Would you have an email address i could possibly send you my file? There must be something i am missing :(

4. Machine Rises

Machine Rises Serious Boxer

I'm not sure what you mean. You said warp happens, but isn't that what you wanted? I'd be happy to check out your game however I'm not official support. I would email it to support@buildbox.com and they will get back to you pretty quickly with help. If it's an issue with game play though I can see if I can help, so you can drop me an email and I'll see what I can do.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
    Sean Buildbox likes this.
  5. evovi

evovi Guest

ill message you now, using the settings in your example no warp happens in my game at all

6. rechris2

rechris2 Boxer

Hello how to set current check point? because if arrive to the check point and i will defeat i will start for my check point but if i close the app the game start from the start level . how to set check point correct?

Attached Files:

7. Rebel Studios

Rebel Studios Avid Boxer

@evovi ... if you want your checkpoint to stay there for some time (maybe for asthetic purposes)... what you need to do is to put a number to the duration of the set checkpoint item.. say about 40 seconds... in that way it won't look weird for that checkpoint (which could probably be a door) to disappear all of a sudden.. :)

8. Rebel Studios

Rebel Studios Avid Boxer

@rechris2 ... you will need to set your start button function to "start checkpoint" instead of "start game"... in that way your game will start at it's last checkpoint

9. rechris2

rechris2 Boxer

thanks