Advanced Move Hold/release (bbdoc Included)

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by Siimon Talviste, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Siimon Talviste

Siimon Talviste Boxer

Hello Boxers,

I wanted to make a game mechanic where the character keeps moving from left edge to right edge and back. Holding and releasing would control the speed. Like in this game:

I tried to achieve it with 5 advanced moves:
    1. start linear velocity:10, event: on start (gives the initial speed of 10)
    2. slow linear velocity: 0.5, mathematical operation:multiply, event: button (reduces speed to 50%)
    3. fast linear velocity: 2, mathematical operation:multiply, event: button, activate on release (increases speed to original)
    4. right linear velocity: -1, mathematical operation:multiply, event: collision (makes the character bounce back from an invisible platform)
    5. left linear velocity: -1, mathematical operation:multiply, event: collision (makes the character bounce back from an invisible platform)

Here's a screenshot from the advanced moves settings: https://imgur.com/a/3Hy5w74

And it kinda does what i was hoping: bounces back from walls and changes speed with hold/release. But..
    I have two problems with it:
    1. The character can slow down only once before bouncing against wall. Second click does nothing. After bouncing it goes back to normal
    2. If i hold while the character bounces against the wall, it doesn't trigger the release of button. Speed stays at 50%

Maybe i'm missing something obvious here, but i ran out of ideas and would be very grateful for any tips on how to fix this.

bbdoc lies here: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=54258812208316175131

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. mobile_gamegraphics

mobile_gamegraphics Boxer

Hi Simon,
    I am looking to do similar solution where I have a button that would slow down/increase world speed... Did you manage to find a solution?
    Thanks
    /Alex

3. Siimon Talviste

Siimon Talviste Boxer

Hi Alex,
    I didn't find a solution. What created problems for me was that i wanted the character to change direction on impact with the wall. If you don't plan such feature, you should get it to work by adding these advanced moves to your character:
    1. start linear velocity:10, event: on start (gives the initial speed of 10)
    2. slow linear velocity: 0.5, mathematical operation:multiply, event: button (reduces speed to 50%)
    3. fast linear velocity: 2, mathematical operation:multiply, event: button, activate on release (increases speed to original)

4. Vlad-NY

Vlad-NY Serious Boxer

Hey guys, I am currently at work so I cannot test the provided bbdoc and change it based on request but here is my idea:
    • On UI world you have multiple options of buttons including a switch button, using that switch button will allow you to mimic that "on" "off" behaviour
    • That button can be linked with an advanced move if needed so basically that will allow you to increase/decrease speed of the character
    • You can also use some advance movement on object that character interacts with just to convert the speed from 1 to -1

Give it a try and let me know what you did, I can't work on a solution for now but keep me in touch.

Best regards,
    Vlad