Normal Map Format?

Discussion in 'Buildbox 3.0' started by wayne_martell, Aug 6, 2018.

1. wayne_martell

wayne_martell Avid Boxer

OK for us guys who may be doing 3D assets for BB3 what format are the normal maps going to be in.
    1. OpenGL
    or
    2. DirectX
    or can it be either ?
    Thanks

2. jmiller8031

jmiller8031 Avid Boxer

I never saw a texture slot on any of the bb3 shaders for normal maps. I only saw color aka diffuse aka albedo. There’s a slider for specular, but that doesn’t have s texture channel either.

Also, normal maps aren’t formatted based on OpenGL or directx. They’re formatted based on if you want world space or tangent space data as well as which axis is in which direction.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  3. wayne_martell

wayne_martell Avid Boxer

It's generally a given that it's tangent space and that you invert the green channel for for DirectX. World space maps are usually generated from the tangent space, like in substance painter. But you are right they only had a albedo or color slot I just assumed they would be adding the rest of the PBR slots later. Surely there will be a bump slot at the very least or they going to have the most boring looking games out there ?

4. jmiller8031

jmiller8031 Avid Boxer

I was just saying it’s either +Y or -Y. We’re just saying the same thing in different ways. What I meant was that game engines just pick one and that choice isn’t really based on D3D or OpenGL.

A decent number of mobile games don’t use complex textures. Most are just color maps with maybe some custom shader work to get extra effects. You can’t really see fine details on high resolution small screens. BB3 is marketed as an engine for casual games so I doubt this stuff is a priority.

5. wayne_martell

wayne_martell Avid Boxer

Yes I guess you're right with mobile being such a small screen the detail wouldn't be seen, but for desktop they would make a difference not that the desktop games sells any more.

6. George Schmidt

George Schmidt Boxer

I disagree. I think Normal and spec maps would be a huge difference. IS there a channel editor or anything like that coming in the near future?