Cannot Import Obj Files Anymore

Discussion in 'Buildbox 3.0' started by Jay, Sep 6, 2018.

1. LBPToo

LBPToo Avid Boxer

Great, I'm glad you got it working. This is really good info for people that aren't using Blender

BTW, for other people using, or that are going to use Blender, if you have multiple objects in your Blender file and only want one exported, make sure and select the one you want exported, then after choosing export to OBJ, make sure and click the option "Selection Only" or you'll export all the objects in your file to one OBJ. Selection Only is off by default.

2. George Schmidt

George Schmidt Boxer

Also make sure to use just one map for all objects imported, so if for exam,ple you combine 3 objs into one exported obj all three need to use just one map for all 3

3. George Schmidt

George Schmidt Boxer

Would really like to see spritesheet capability in the future

4. George Schmidt

George Schmidt Boxer

While I can import the diffuse (color) of the object, any hints on how to import the Spec maps and the bump maps? Can seem to find it in the forums. Thanks for any help

5. LBPToo

LBPToo Avid Boxer

Unfortunately the reason you can't find anything on it, is because you can't do it. BB3 doesn't support multiple materials. One texture map is all you get at this point. I think this will all be possible in time, but I'm sure it could be awhile.

6. Lou

Lou Boxer

I downloaded a few objects from free3d.com. I tried drag and dropping into buildbox but nothing happened. Is it possible to import 3D objects from this site with .obj extension into buildbox?

7. LBPToo

LBPToo Avid Boxer

It should work, but not with all. As above on multiple materials, and there are other issues that can cause problems, you really should load any obj's you download into Blender and learn how to check them for various things like the multiple materials issue, before importing into BB3.

8. Lou

Lou Boxer

I tried to import it to Blender but didn’t work.

Where are you getting your 3D objects from?

I’m looking for city objects like in tornado.io and BigBigBaller.

Thanks!

9. LBPToo

LBPToo Avid Boxer

There are a lot of good sites. I use CGTrader.com the most.

10. Lou

Lou Boxer

Thanks for the info! I'm looking at cgtrader right now and see there's so many different formats. Are we only looking for .blend and .obj format. Will this work for buildbox? Thanks!

11. LBPToo

LBPToo Avid Boxer

Yep, that's exactly right, and you really only need OBJ because you can import that into Blender if it doesn't come with a blender file.

12. Lou

Lou Boxer

I purchased some obj files from cgtrader. If I drag the obj file into buildbox, the software crashes and closes itself out. The only way to get the obj into buildbox is to first put it through blender and then export file.

Now I can’t figure out how to get the texture and colours on the object. There’s an mtl file that comes with them, but don’t know how to use them. Anyone know how to do this?

13. LBPToo

LBPToo Avid Boxer

Ignore the Mtl file it cannot be used in BB3. When you bought the obj there should have been a texture file with it, maybe several. You need to use the actual texture, as bump maps etc, do not work in BB3. It might not be in png format. If not, you need to convert it to png first, then drag it into the texture area of the 3D model in BB3. Also, check the resolution of the image. Many are 2048 but you only need 1024(or smaller) so re-size it before saving as png.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  14. SAvas

SAvas Boxer

I have a question. Does obj files have animation like fbx files? So, is a character running, dying and bouncing animations in the obj file? I'm dragging the obj file to the stage in Beta 4. Then push the play button. And the buildbox crashes. Will this problem be solved?

15. LBPToo

LBPToo Avid Boxer

No animations in objs. Buildbox only supports 2D animations at this time and whatever you can do with rotating/moving objects,

16. SAvas

SAvas Boxer

If character can’t run, or if it's not going to be a jumping animation, we don't have a 3D game. Let's think it's a dog in our game. Will this dog run? Will it move in a fixed? This is not a 3D game.

17. Josh (Nology Games)

Josh (Nology Games) Avid Boxer

@SAvas it is a feature that will be added soon.

LBPToo likes this.
  18. LBPToo

LBPToo Avid Boxer

Josh beat me too it. You guys have to remember this is not only a first version, it is BETA!!! It's obvious they're still adding features. Be a little patient. I agree this is an important feature and I'm sure the BB team does too. True that you can't build the type of BB game that you describe, but that does not mean you can't build other types of 3D games. If you want to build a game to publish now, learn the limitations of the product and build a game that fits within those limitations and you won't be disappointed.

19. SAvas

SAvas Boxer

I know this is a beta. This is not a problem if the features I mentioned are not in the beta version. But in the final version, if these features won't happen, this is a big problem. This is what I want to learn. I'm not trying to build game with Beta.

20. LBPToo

LBPToo Avid Boxer

Great, then I would make sure and get your feature requests into support(and up here) as the more people that request them, the more likely they will make the cut. I think object animation is covered.