Cannot Import Obj Files Anymore

Discussion in 'Buildbox 3.0' started by Jay, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Jay

Jay Boxer

Can someone please confirm whether they are able to import OBJ files into BB3DB2?

It was working with previous versions but in beta 2 update it crashes 100% of the time.

2. wayne_martell

wayne_martell Avid Boxer

Sub-1.jpg Yes working with the latest build and it's working fine ! just make sure you load a standard shape like a cube and replace the geometry with the Obj.

3. Jay

Jay Boxer

That's weird.

Previously in other versions, I could literally just drag and drop an obj file onto buildbox level editor and it would import it. But with Beta 2 for BB 3D it just crashes the program.

4. Jay

Jay Boxer

Nup. Just tried what you said. Exact same thing happens. Program crashes and exits.

5. Jay

Jay Boxer

Ok, so there seems to be an issue with loading/reading obj files created with SketchUp. I can still import obj files created with Blender, but not SketchUp or any other software. I guess I'll have to use Blender for now.

6. George Schmidt

George Schmidt Boxer

I have tried that. It just crashes. Heres my export from max settings. Perhaps you can tell me what I am doing wrong. exportcrash.JPG

7. fredi

fredi Avid Boxer

@wayne_martell: How do you have import the right colors? I can import obj files but without texture. Thanks for any help.

8. particles

particles Avid Boxer

If your exported obj doesn't come with texture. THen no way to import colors. Another option is set to single color with the editor.

If your object has multicolor then no way to assign multicolor to different parts. One workaround is export all parts as separate obj and then apply in the editor.

Example: You can see the space buggy template model with two parts Body and Wheel.

LBPToo likes this.
  9. LBPToo

LBPToo Avid Boxer

@wayne_martell is using a texture UV mapped to his object. I'm not sure what you mean by "I can import obj files but without texture. ". Are you saying you can't import textures or you don't know how to make them? If you can't import textures, then @particles separate parts solution is probably the only way to have separate colors on your object.

If you're not sure how to get a proper texture made based on a UV Unwrap template, let me know and I'll go into detail for you.

particles likes this.
  10. particles

particles Avid Boxer

Thanks @LBPToo . Me too don't know how to export as Obj with Texture for some free models. When I exported it comes as obj with .mtl files from Blender.

11. LBPToo

LBPToo Avid Boxer

Hi @George Schmidt, Sorry I'm not a 3D application expert and only know Blender to some extent. Is that 3D Max you're using? I would try turning off options in the export dialog one at a time and see if that helps. One that jumps out at me is the "Smoothing Groups" option.

12. LBPToo

LBPToo Avid Boxer

You have to ignore the .mtl files. They can't be used. In Blender you have to Mark Seams for the parts you want to separate so the UV Unwrap has those meshes separated in the Unwrap template. Once you have your UV Unwrap template ready you export that and it is saved as a png file with the UV Unwrapped meshes in it. Open that in Photoshop, or some other graphics program, that does layers and create a new empty later. Put the new layer under the Unwrap template layer. You may have to change the Blend Mode of the template layer to make sure it shows well on top of your painting.layer. Paint, or import images into your paint layer. You do not need to stay within the bounds of each mesh, but don't overlap into another mesh with your painting unless it's intentional. Hide the template layer, export to png and drag that file into the Texture box for your object. That's it. I've enclosed a couple of images of Photoshop that show a simple mesh painted with a couple of colors, but these could be as complex as you want. PS Mesh template.jpg PS Mesh with paint layer.jpg

fredi and particles like this.
  13. particles

particles Avid Boxer

Excellent @LBPToo Very Useful, Thankyou So much.

14. George Schmidt

George Schmidt Boxer

No I have already UV mapped this object. What I meant was that I am trying to import the mesh into BB without the mtl. file. I use a .png as a texture, created from the uv mapped object.

15. LBPToo

LBPToo Avid Boxer

Hi @George Schmidt, that response was for @fredi.. My response to you was suggesting to turn off some of the export options when exporting the mesh.

16. PunkPuffin

PunkPuffin Avid Boxer

I've had no luck importing any OBJ files and I have no idea how to apply a texture but since I can't import an OBJ I haven't been able to play around with applying a texture.

Has anyone got tips on how to import?

17. fredi

fredi Avid Boxer

18. particles

particles Avid Boxer

@PunkPuffin Just drag and drop obj file inside the scene, that's the way to import for now.

19. LBPToo

LBPToo Avid Boxer

Import the object as particles explained. Read my post above with the screen captures for a bit of overview on how to make and apply a mapped texture. You have to use a 3D modeling program to make the UV map template for the texture for your object, then apply graphics using that template in your graphics program(Photoshop, etc). The resulting png is what you drag into the texture for that object.

If you don't know 3D modeling, download Blender, watch a beginner's tutorial on YouTube to learn the product, then watch a YouTube video(s) on UV Mapping. I knew nothing about 3D modeling a short while ago and just put in the time to learn this stuff. You have to do it if you want custom models in your app.

20. George Schmidt

George Schmidt Boxer

So yesterday I took my obj file into blender and reexported it into BB and it worked. I mapped it in my other program and the uvs were intact. Thanks for all the replys.