How Many Worlds/ui's Is Too Many?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Mr Goodcat, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Mr Goodcat

Mr Goodcat Boxer

I am in the process of making a game which requires me to use quite a few Worlds/UI's in order to have it work.
    The base game has 240 worlds/UI's. If i want to have character unlocks i will need to duplicate the whole lot each time due to how my game is set up.

I have duplicated this a few times and now i have in total 964 worlds/UI's.

Testing this on test flight (Iphone 7) this actually works perfectly. Minus the loading screen which i feel takes too long.

I have noticed however that the MindMap in Buildbox now runs very slowly and lags.
    How much further can i go with this? Have you made games larger than this?

Thanks

2. jcalle

jcalle Miniboss Boxer

Hello, 964 worlds are many worlds, it is advisable to be between 100 and 200.
    Try to optimize or remove some worlds, surely you can do without one and stay in about 500 worlds.

What version of BB do you use?
    How big is the BBDOC (Mb) file?
    Have you tried to delete the objects you do not use and optimize the Atlasses?
    How many Mb does the music have?
    How many Atlasses do you have?

I offer my services to reduce the size of your project, but I do not know if it would be possible if you have many worlds.
    http://www.bbriver.com/market/optimization-of-your-game

3. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Buildbox is NOT made for games like that. Depending on how many UIs you have attached to each world I wouldn’t go over 25-50 worlds.

50 worlds each with 5 UIs attached will be impossible to play (load) on older devices (iphone 6 backwards) and even take a very long time to load on newer devices.

Forget about Android pretty much.

Also, in my experience, you don’t need that many levels. People never will play them. That is, you are not having a unicorn game, then of course you might need them.

Hope that helps.

4. Mr Goodcat

Mr Goodcat Boxer

Thanks to you both for your input. Much appreciated.

I have 11 Atlases which are fully optimised (I know it’s recommended to only have around 3) I just have some large images. The bbx file itself I think is around 100MB.

The game would be much smaller if it were possible to create more dynamic game logic but unfortunately my only option was to create each level in its own world.

I think perhaps I will need to re-think unlocks in that case.