How Can I Change Character Position By Button Function?

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by djeasily, Aug 13, 2018.

1. djeasily

djeasily Boxer

Dear Boxers

Just got myself Buidbox a couple of days ago and I am loving it.

At the moment, I am just having a few small problems.

I am creating a Flappy Bird kind of game. However, I am spicing things up and instead of one bird (it's actually a fly in my game), the user can play up to 4 Flies simultaneously.

Now, I am looking for a way how I can actually make the formation of the flies change when a special button for that is pushed. But how can this be done. I thought maybe with Advanced Move?

For instance, I would like to change the formation of the flies from a vertical line (flies are all next to each other in one line) into a horizontal line (flies are stacked up each other) when this "special button" will be pushed or let's say a special item is picked up.

Is there any way I can achieve this? That would be super awesome.

Best,

easily

2. Phill Mason

Phill Mason Serious Boxer

Hi @djeasily, welcome to the forums. I haven't tried to do what you're trying to achieve, but I would imagine it's quite doable with something like the "Move Path" node. Again, I haven't used this node either, but it looks like you could activate your characters positions and rotation, upon collision with an object (could be an invisible object within your game), that would allow you to do this.

I'm not certain this node is in full working condition yet, as many of the features are buggy at present, so use with caution, but might be worth a shot. I'm sure there are other ways do achieve it too, but this to me looks like a good place to start.

3. djeasily

djeasily Boxer

thanks Phill!

I actually found another way. What I did is simply using Portals. So I make one character go in and then make 4 exit portals. VoilĂ . Works like a charm. I couldn't make it work with paths, though. However, I probably did not fully understand how you would go about implementing it.

Anyway, it seems like Portals is the way to go for me, as I can easily achieve the results that I need like that. But this does also mean that the player will actually need to fly through a portal rather than pressing a button to achieve that duplication (new formation). but that's maybe even a good thing, as too many buttons might be a bad idea anyway.