Buildbox 2.3.6 Official Release

Discussion in 'Official Announcements' started by Andy, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Hue Buildbox

Hue Buildbox Administrator Staff Member

And maybe 2.3.8 will be a merge with Buildbox 3. With the ability to use some of the BB3 features like smart assets, but in 2D.
    Although, 2D can somewhat be done in BB3 now by placing the camera facing straight down.

mrcarson likes this.
  2. Snow

Snow Boxer

Two things

The leaderboard button is still not showing

The "share" button for android 8 is not fixed completely. Yeah, the game doesn't crash now but the image you share is just black.

3. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Would appreciate an update as well. Any news?

4. Hue Buildbox

Hue Buildbox Administrator Staff Member

What post are you replying to?

5. Buildbox

Buildbox Administrator

Hi guys, we will be doing 3.0 Beta 2 and then 2.3.7. We want to get Android and Ad Support ASAP for 3.0.

6. adrogdesigns

adrogdesigns Avid Boxer

Don't want to sound rude, but I don't care about BB3 beta,
    I want fixes NOW, to BB2 so i can release some games, that have been waiting for these fixes.
    Still waiting from support, for a fix I sent them 2 weeks ago!!!!!!!
    Why don't we get one thing right, then move on to the next project, PLEASE.

Member_Game and Christoph like this.
  7. Buildbox

Buildbox Administrator

We understand that, but there are other customers who feel the opposite way. It’s impossible for every customer to agree with all decisions made for Buildbox, but we are trying to make the best product we can for both now and for the future.

Hue Buildbox likes this.
  8. thatguyminib

thatguyminib Serious Boxer

I honestly don't think ad support at this stage should be implemented just yet.

I mainly feel this way because I feel that with BB3 you NEED to code and use JavaScript in order to make a good quality fully polished game and guess what a lot of people picked up buildbox because of the fact that they can't code.

I understand it is still in beta and who knows beta 2 may bring in things for the that change this and allow enough nodes and smart assets to make a good quality fully function game.

The reason I say not for ad support to be the main focus is because a lot of people want ads to monetize a game when someone is ready to monetize their game they are ready to release and unless they know how to code in JavaScript like I stated above it will not be a good quality full featured game. So once ad support is out I feel a BUNCH of people will be releasing pretty low quality games that will give bb3 and buildbox a bad name.

Now all of this is just my opinion and why I think ad support should come later down the road, maybe even wait till final release.

Christoph, Phil H and adrogdesigns like this.
  9. adrogdesigns

adrogdesigns Avid Boxer

its been nearly two months since final release of 2.3.6 was released which broke a few things,
    I understand that your trying to please everyone.
    But what the F*** am I paying a subscription for if I'm unable to release a game with this version?
    Please explain that.
    If you guys want to push out two products at once to please everyone then thats your problem, not mine.
    this is my money paying for my subscription, and its not getting fixed.
    seriously if there isn't an update ASAP
    you can shove your subscription.
    Im not paying money for a broken product, if you yes YOU, were paying for a car and it didn't work you would take it back YES.
    Im sure you would.

runrollgames, Christoph and bmsingha like this.
  10. Snow

Snow Boxer

I mean, I am trying to publish my game for a month now, but all these problems are making it almost impossible.
    Come on Buildbox team, we are paying customers...

11. volcank

volcank Serious Boxer

Hi man I am sorry but I don't agree with you. I mean we are paying 99 dollars for not to code and focus more on the design of the game only that's why we can prototype and make games so fast as Boxers and also advertisement settings, leaderboard etc. . And I really don't think you need a lot of coding to make a hyper causal game. Hyper casual games are simple and not complicated games that is the way they are supposed to be. So you need a game idea and game design and All you need is working nodes. If not there are may non code (virtual coding with nodes) game making engines out there Buildbox is not the only one believe me. I did other games before using virtual scripting (won't mention any names) but believe me coding and trying to make a game is tiring and that's not what you want as a game designer in today's life.

Trends come and go fast and you either need money to catch that (hire a programmer graphic designer) or do it by yourself. And BB is the do it by yourself thing. What we need now is a working basic 3D game making engine that can make us earn money. Otherwise we are loosing 99 a month trying to learn with a broken software. Yes I am sorry but it is not working. I try to do something something doesn't work etc. 99 a month might not be much for a person living in US but in some countries other than US 99 costs us a lot of money.

And the reputation thing by publishing bad games will always happen either now or later. It is happening now with Unity there are a lot of garbage out there created with Unity now people think Unity is not a good game engine etc. But that's not the game engine's fault. So this will also happen with BB.

We are already late. People are doing it now and we are only sleeping as developers sitting still trying to learn this software. Everyday another 3d game gets popular. sorry man. This can be done and fixed I am sure. Its time to be fast and create not wait and learn and these are just my current thought on the situation please don't misunderstand.

Christoph, bmsingha and Snow like this.
  12. Snow

Snow Boxer

Hey @volcank, I don't mean to disagree with you as well, but the problem is not the 3D style. The problem lies on the marketing side, and we, as a group, have done nothing about it.

The greatest example is "Rise up". 2D, easily achievable with buildbox. The game is rocking the top charts for 5 months now, making 10k+ per day.

It's not like your 3D game has more chances on making it.

And there are a lot of successful minimal 2D games as well. Another example is Tastypill. He has found success this summer with games he made a year ago. Why? Because he clearly learnt something about marketing.

If you ask me, THIS is what matters and what we need to be involved with. This is the area in which we are falling short. Marketing. Because most of us, as you said, don't have the money, and we are too afraid to risk learning about what marketing tactics are profitable and which are not. And without the help of those who know, we will never ever ever make money.

You could argue that 3D games have overall better retention, but do they? Tastypill is making money out of 2D games today. Thousands of dollars per day. That has to say something.

For the time being I want to be able to release my 2D games and see how well they perform. Yet I can't simply because a few things remain unfixed for months. And the Buildbox team knew about them, yet, even though they said they fixed them, THEY DIDN'T.

Christoph and volcank like this.
  13. volcank

volcank Serious Boxer

Hi man,

I totally understand you but to tell the truth I am totally done with 2D I mean I really don't want to bother with pngs etc and if you ask me yes you can make good games with 2d as well which I also love a lot. I still play old arcade games and console games with emulators I am old school believe me. But the thing is time is changing now even tough 2d is applicable 3d is the trend now and that's why Voodoo is publishing almost all of his games as 3d it gives a more depth the game as visual and I believe like gives an extra quality look. That's why when you look at Top Free and Trending Games now you see Voodoo's Helix Jump (Still) and Tenkyu game. You can not achieve those mechanics by the way in 2d. Rotating platforms only achievable in 3d (helix jump) and like that rolling ball in 3d environment Tenkyu game can only be done in 3D. Also Rise Up Game didn'T Rise up by itself I am sure there is a big marketing thing going on in there. A lot of money is spent it is not that easy believe me.

Imagine Hollywood. After Jurassic Park or let's go back more After Star Wars, Didn't the whole industry changed? So this is what s happening with casual game industry and actually it already happened and we as boxers can not do but wait for now sorry. Yes you can still make good games with 2d but to attract customers or Publishers with a game created with 3D is a totally different thing. Also creating things in 3D environment you have more variety and creative tools for making a game then only flat 2d. It's just a different feeling don't know maybe I am a 3D artist that's why I think like that. But still like you said great games can be done in 2D as well I totally agree only we need a more complex game making engine for that than BB 2.3.6 I think.

Christoph, bmsingha and Snow like this.
  14. Snow

Snow Boxer

Yeah I agree with what you are saying. But, as you and I both mentioned, it's 90% about marketing and spending thousands of dollars in advance in order to eventually make profit. 2D or 3D, it doesn't make much of a difference if you know how to promote your game when it's worth doing so. No 3D game will gain popularity on its own either just because it's 3D.

And if "rise up" didn't have enough retention and user engagement, any money spent on advertising would be wasted. I never said it got to the top charts on its own, but soat I am is the case with any 3D game, that's wh trying to say. So the developer of that game either was really lucky with his investment or he really knew what he was doing. And that's what we need to focus on. Otherwise we will never succeed as indies.

Sometimes I feel I might be a bit obsessed with this, but how is "rise up" such a success? How did the developer promote the game in a way that it would be profitable at the end of the day? How much money did he spend? Did he know what he was doing?

If I am not mistaken, it was someone from this forum that initially came up with the original idea, "Force escape". Why didn't he become a millionaire? What is better about "Rise up" than "Force escape"? Nothing gameplay wise. It's the marketing. And since that is the case, why didn't the developer of force escape spend thousands to promote his game? Was he afraid? My bet is that we haven't mastered the art of advertising as a group. Thus, we don't know how to get cheap installs to make our money back. I feel that this is where we should be focusing at this point as a community.

And I also get what you are saying about voodoo. You are right about that man. I really hope someone from buildbox lands a deal with them with buildbox 3D, that would be amazing!

Christoph and volcank like this.
  15. jmiller8031

jmiller8031 Avid Boxer

Voodoo only wants to publish games that fit the current trend they’re having success with. Right now the trend is .io games because of the success of holes.io so now they have bumper.io and paper.io 2. Before that was the level up trend started by Baseball Boy. They had a ton of games in that trend. The other trend was idle clicking games for awhile. So if you want to publish with them you need to hop onto the current trend hype train or be lucky enough to be in position to have a game that fits an emerging trend. The other option is to make a game that’s completely unique and plays well enough for Voodoo to take a risk and publish it, but that is much harder to do.

The real thing you should be worried about is that even though these trending games look and play simple, they’re not simple to make. You’re never going to be able to script the AI of .io games with nodes. You need to know how to script that behavior on your own. I think that is what ThatGuyMiniB was getting at.

Christoph, thatguyminib and volcank like this.
  16. Buildbox

Buildbox Administrator

What specifically broke that you need fixing to release a game?

17. volcank

volcank Serious Boxer

Yes the thing is I am also into Unity at the same time and already started creating games with it using Playmaker without coding and believe me it is solid and it has endless possibilities and maybe that's why I am like a bit like in a rush for BB3D to be ready for Publishing. I mean Unity is great but BB3d will be like monster when it is ready I can see that right on.

If you ask me the thing with Rise Up is don't bother with it. Things happen sometimes like this. You might never know what people might like. I had done a game long time ago called "Ninja Kid vs Zombies" and after 1 year it suddenly it got boosted on its own (This is Google Play) and I was getting like around 1000-2000 downloads everyday until like 3 months ago when Google Play changed its algrorhytm. So it is possible and I even don't know how it happened. I guess I sticked on a known genre like a Mario Style Platformer not a casual endless game and my target audiance were hard core gamers not casual gamers (But I didn't know this at the time LOL) Anyway so u know it happens and we will never know. I don't know why it took like 1 year for it to be famous and I didn't promote it believe me. With Rise Up maybe The Publisher is already a Rich Person or someone who already makes another business and knows how business is done and promotes it with the money he earns from his real job. Or he found a sponsor u know. He said let's partner up I make the game you pay the Promo Fees etc. I mean there are many ways of making business. And we as indies only make games and spend less time on learning how to promote marketing etc. I think that is another thing like you said.

I think the best way of getting success in mobile environment is to hook a Publishing Deal. That seems more doable than anything else in this market.

bmsingha and Christoph like this.
  18. volcank

volcank Serious Boxer

Hi yes but .io games have been popular for many years already since Agar.io was published on web platform besides you need a server for that kind of game. And because of that trend Voodoo will not publish only .io games. I if you ask me I really don't like .io games and I play other games of Voodoo. And to make a game like Helix Jump or other 3d Games it is still doable with simple nodes scripting. But yes doing the .io thing is another thing but we are not going for that I guess with Current version of BB3d at least not me.

19. thatguyminib

thatguyminib Serious Boxer

What I was trying to say is that they need to focus on the Node system and the smart assets more before they make their main focus ad support. Simply because of the fact that buildbox is all about not coding and right now you need to know javascript in order to make an above par polished game, which not a lot of boxers know how to do, and even then we don't have access to the API so even coders are very limited.

Basically what I am saying is focus on the nodes and getting javascript api ready, because I really feel like a complete game cannot be made right now with BB3. At least not a complete game that would be publisher worthy or featured on the store fronts.

Edit: UI also needs to be working on and implemented.

This is exactly what I was getting at. I mean we couldn't make an exact clone of helix jump or any hypercasual game out there. Sure right now we can prototype and make some of the functionality of these games but at this point we cannot make a solid, polished, feature worthy game.

In the end @Buildbox I feel for BB3 focus on Nodes and getting the Javascript documentation out there first and then worry about ad monetization.(This was my main point without all the other nonsense).

20. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

I agree to disagree!

Honestly, Buildbox 2 first, then Buildbox 3. Even if all resources go now into Buildbox 3 it will still be a long way to be able to use this engine professionally. If Buildbox 2 still has bugs and it takes long to fix everything, imagine Buildbox 3. I literally opened it, played a little and got after less than 5 minutes my first crash. Never opened it again.

On the other hand, I open Buildbox 2 every day. And I still am developing like 10 games with it. As a customer I don't need a alpha or beta version to play with. I need a rock steady Buildbox 2 that I have been using for years now and I probably still will be using (at least) one more year. As a customer I hope priority is in the current product. Not in the one that some day will be the king of all engines.

And yes, I always said that. Imagine Buildbox 2 with nodes and javascript enabled? It would make Buildbox 2 the best 2D game engine for many years to come and there would be no need to fuse Buildbox 2 with Buildbox 3. Forget about Corgi and Playmaker. Release an update to Buildbox 2 with the many reported bugs and add Nodes to it. BOOOOOOM!!!!

And in 6 months, when Buildbox 3 is much more stable, we all will happily do everything we do right now in 3D the same way we do it with Buildbox 2. If you are in a hurry, go with Unity or hire a developer. Also, 2D is not going anywhere. And 3D isn't either. Or do you think after 3D there will be 4D? (and no, I don't think that AR and VR will be big anytime soon).

Is 3D trending the sh*t out of the app store right now? Yes. Will you be able to release something with Buildbox 3 if ads are implemented? No. So we really shouldn't worry about making games with an engine that is not ready yet. It's as simple as that.

At the very least, please don't forget about updating Buildbox 2. All progress and development of Buildbox 3 is nice and we all want it to be ready to use it right now. But it's just not realistic. We are paying customers for the product we use on a daily basis. Please please, focus with at least 50% of your resources on it.