About Gdpr

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Snow, Jul 21, 2018.

1. Snow

Snow Boxer

Hey, I have read almost every post related to GDPR on this forum, yet there is something I don't quite understand and would like some clarifications.

First of all, what are API hooks and how will they help us implement a consent dialogue?

Second and more important, how are we going to ONLY display the consent dialogue to the people living in the EU? I mean, I couldn't find anyone answering that or even bothering with that in the forum, yet to me it seems pretty significant.

Are the SDK's going to geo-locate the player and only display the dialogue to the EU citizens, do these "3rd party hooks" have something to do about it, or doesn't nobody here care and you are planning to show the consent dialogue to every user of your game, losing a ton of downloads?

Sorry but I just don't understand. Can someone explain please? I would appreciate that!

2. jcalle

jcalle Miniboss Boxer

For Android, in the developer console, you can select the countries where you want to publish your APK.
    You would have to make 2 games, one where you select the European countries where you have to show the message, and another APK with another name, for the rest of the countries.

3. Snow

Snow Boxer

Can you do the same for iOS?

4. AaroArts

AaroArts Miniboss Boxer

Admob for example test for geolocation, then display the correct consent form accordingly.

These have to be integrated post export.

For iOS in Xcode, there is a Hook class called AdIntegrator.mm and this is where you integrate the Admob SDK (or any other 3rd party SDK) which controls the consent form and displays the correct ads.

5. Snow

Snow Boxer

Thanks for the response Aaro, it was toward the right direction!

So, basically just integrating the admob SDK on its own is enough? And what if we want to integrate a mediation network, like appodeal or heyzap? What are we supposed to do then?

Can someone explain a bit further?

6. patostar

patostar Avid Boxer

I haven't done anything about GDPR thing, and i am not planning on doing it, let's see if admob will ban my account or not, I was confused about how to do this consent form, but i don't care now

7. AaroArts

AaroArts Miniboss Boxer

It depends on your game.
    Unfortunately you are responsible for making sure your game is GDPR compliant including any SDK's you integrate.

Admob have a good help page which you may want to check out, as do most Networks and Providers.

8. Snow

Snow Boxer

Aaro, thank you very much for taking the time to respond, I appreciate it!

All this is very interesting, however, from what I have read and researched, the GDPR obliges the dev to provide a way for users to retract their consent at any time, even after they have "accepted" the terms. And I have seen this in various games, but I don't know how we are supposed to do this in buildbox.

Are there any tutorials out there about this? Because I think it's a very big deal for buildbox developers, myself included.
    And I apologize if I sound repetitive and boring, but this is exactly why I started this thread, to try and get some crystal clear clarifications.

Almost every ad network states that the developer is responsible for making sure he is GDPR compliant, but this is VERY vague and doesn't really help. What do they mean by that exactly? And what, do I, as a buildbox developer, need to do EXACTLY, to be GDPR compliant?

9. sharma.shivam

sharma.shivam Avid Boxer

hi everyone,
    so if we are using single ad networks like admob, inmobi, revmob, chartboost etc
    instead of using heyzap,then we only have to ensure that those ad networks that are compliant with gdpr?

10. Snow

Snow Boxer

Ok guys, I am pretty confused with this but is there anyone who has successfully done anything about the GDPR thing? I am talking about letting users give you their consent (or not). How do we do this? I am very confused. And do we have to give them the option to opt out anytime? How exactly do we do that? Is there a tutorial or something?

Is actually ANYONE on this forum publishing their games in EU or not? What is going on? Please help me

11. AaroArts

AaroArts Miniboss Boxer

Several people have I believe.
    You need to be using Buildbox 2.3.6+ and use the AdIntegrator.m hook class in Xcode to integrate your chosen network/consent SDKs.
    If you can't do this yourself, you will need to hire a programmer.
    Buildbox has created a tutorial for using MoPub here.

12. patostar

patostar Avid Boxer

Ok but what about android apps? can we do it in android studio too?

13. Snow

Snow Boxer

I have seen this tutorial previously, but I have a couple of questions.
    1. What EXACTLY does it do? Does it display a window to the user (only the european users) so that they will accept (or not) the data collection?

2. If the user accepts, how can we let them opt out at ANYTIME, as instructed by the GDPR regulation? Do we create a button linking, in some way, to that same window the users saw the first time?

3. How about other services, like the Facebook SDK and Game Analytics? Do they have their own special SDKs for user data collection consent? And what if you have two or more ad netwroks, not connected by a mediator? Do their consent windows appear on different tabs?

I am not entirely sure if I am overthinking about this whole thing but I really want to learn and figure stuff out..

14. AaroArts

AaroArts Miniboss Boxer

That tutorial IS Android!

I think you need to do some research.
    Check out Mopubs Getting Started page and try implementing MoPub to see how it works.