Will Buildbox Ever Allow Us To Use All Logic Anywhere?

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by Phill Mason, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Phill Mason

Phill Mason Serious Boxer

I keep coming across specific roadblocks in various areas of my games and a couple that crop up often are, the need to apply logic, where is doesn't currently work. For example, I want to be able to send a bullet and or an enemy through a portal (mind spinning with ideas) but I can't, only characters can pass through portals. I'd also like to use transform logic to affect my character at certain points within a game.

I was sure we had this in a very early version of Buildbox, or perhaps I dreamt it?!?! Anyway, I would love to see these features become available in either BB2.? and BB3, they would be extremely useful.

swiftcurrent likes this.
  2. AndyG

AndyG Miniboss Boxer

Hey Phill are you not getting this mixed up with the Portal/Gatekeeper Logic pieces?
    But anyway hopefully all this stuff will be doable and more in BB3 with Nodes (+ Javascript).

3. Phill Mason

No, not getting mixed up @AndyG, I've decided to use an enemy bullet as a character in this situation, as it allows me a little more flexibility for this particular game setup. I only asked the question, as my next world was going to see my character (a bullet) dive in and out of portals and it was at that point I realised that bullets/assets can't do that, only characters.

At that point, I tried to recreate the game using an actual character, which would allow me to use portals, but then I came up against not being able to automatically switch directions during a bounce/drop, using gravity (which my bullet is doing fabulously) and transform logic on a character, hence the question, when can we decide which logic affects what.

As you mentioned above, hopefully this is something that won't be an issue with nodes & JS capability in BB3.

4. jmiller8031

jmiller8031 Avid Boxer

This will be entirely possible in Buildbox 3. Even if there aren’t any nodes available for such a thing right away or even if there aren’t any built in JavaScript functions available yet. It’s just vector math and trigonometry. I will post the correct math formulas if necessary depending on what you want to do.

Phill Mason and adrogdesigns like this.
  5. Phill Mason

Thanks @jmiller8031, nice to know. Here's looking forward to getting my hands on BB3 then :)

6. AndyG

AndyG Miniboss Boxer

Wow for a moment I thought someone mentioned Buildbox and vector math and trigonometry in the same breadth. Im imagining it of course Im sure :eek::confused::rolleyes: