Buildbox 3 Alpha3: Friday Fun With Nodes

Discussion in 'Buildbox 3.0' started by NikRudenko, Jul 13, 2018.

1. jmiller8031

jmiller8031 Avid Boxer

They syntax will be the same but without reference to what is already in bb3 you would just be guessing if a function existed or not. There would be no error checking or everything would flag as an error.

Wapps1 likes this.
  2. MattWills

MattWills Avid Boxer

3. Tarsier Games

Tarsier Games Avid Boxer

Hi @NikRudenko,

I am glad that you were playing with Scale Animation, because I found one bug. :)

When you scale up your character, the collision shape of the character doesn't scale up with it, as you can see in the video.

Also, I have found one unrelated bug which you can see in the video. You can notice that in the beginning of the video I have made an invisible object which is triggering that scale animation and I have set up the color of the 3D model for that object to have the opacity of 0%. But when I start the preview, you can see that object (white cube) inside the gate.

Sending this to support also, but just wanted to send it here too, so that I am sure it is fixed before Beta. :D

4. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

I think that's an interesting case here. If I understand it correctly, we could now be able to 'fix' this bug ourselves by coding the needed part in the scaling node. Is this a right assumption @NikRudenko ?

Also this leads to two more questions:
    1. if everybody is coding their own part and modifying his Buildbox 3 version, how can you guys assure compatibility with updates and features along all your customers?

2. Having the possibility to code whatever we want, will you guys provide support with coding now too? Or maybe even an additional service for creating new custom nodes or would that be left to the customers only?

5. jmiller8031

jmiller8031 Avid Boxer

Adding new functions and entities won't break compatibility. You simply aren't using what isn't created yet.

The scale "bug" probably isn't a bug. They just forgot to add the code that scales the collision shape too. You can add it now, which is awesome, or wait for them to add it.

6. wesam_badr

wesam_badr Miniboss Boxer

I think its time to create BB3 forum section before the beta is out

PLASSA likes this.
  7. Tarsier Games

Tarsier Games Avid Boxer

The thing is that I don't think we should be coding to fix bugs or missing code, we should be coding to create additional features to our games.

8. jmiller8031

jmiller8031 Avid Boxer

No one else thinks you should have to either, but mistakes happen. The important thing to take away from this is that you or someone else can fix it quickly now. If you posted the code for that node I could probably help you.

MattWills likes this.
  9. Tarsier Games

Tarsier Games Avid Boxer

I agree with that. Now it is possible to do that faster, because you don't need to wait for an update. :)

10. thatguyminib

thatguyminib Serious Boxer

Not to be rude, but can we please stop saying that the software is limitless lol.

We still have no idea what we can access via javascript and until then and until we all get it and push it's limits we cannot say that it is limitless.

Sure enabling us to code will help us add some new features and possibly fix some small bugs with nodes already created, but it won't be a godsend unless they allow us access to EVERYTHING.

11. NikRudenko

NikRudenko Administrator Staff Member

Wow really cool concept. Love it!

Yes. Physics Engine that we using don't like scaling objects (like any other physics engine on earth). This scaling stuff is not what you can see in classical mechanics. But we are working on solution for that and planning to have that for Beta.

If you want to make object invisible just delete Model 3D component. It will be better for performance and will keep clean your mind map. Honestly i forgot to block ability to choose opacity for Model3D component.

12. NikRudenko

In this specific Scaling thing it is little bit more then just code.

All works done via API. The good thing with API is if i need dramatically change API I can just create a new set of functions and expose it to you guys. And kill old API functions later over the year. With UI this is not work like that you can constantly add new buttons. it will make Interface huge and bulky.

We will support all public APIs we have for you. And we will amen sure it works all correct and as it expected :)

Christoph likes this.
  13. jmiller8031

jmiller8031 Avid Boxer

One workaround for scaling something in real-time would be to have two objects of different sizes parented to an invisible object. You would have one child object enabled by default and the other disabled. Collisions would just swap what is enabled and disabled.

This of course only works if you can access enabling and disabling via script. You parent to an invisible object so you don’t have to worry about calculating the position every time and the controls remain active during the switch which would result in a smoother transition.

This is something you could just try while the rest of us wait for the beta. What Nik said totally makes sense. Changing physics calculations on the fly isn’t something you do and I should have caught that. It’s hard to say what would works without having my hands on it.

14. Tarsier Games

Tarsier Games Avid Boxer

@NikRudenko Thanks Nik. Looking forward for Beta. :)

@jmiller8031 The other workaround that I thought of was adding a "3D Model" node to a "If Collide" node. So when the character collects the invisible cube object, he is assigned with a new "3D Model". But this wasn't working so well, because then there was 2 "3D Model" nodes for the character. I suppose then I would need to write a snippet of code to disable the first "3D Model" node or something like that. :D

It is the perfect time to start learning JavaScript. Not only it would be useful for our own games, there will be a lot of work for other BB users. :D

15. jmiller8031

jmiller8031 Avid Boxer

I would avoid instantiating and destroying objects over and over again. It’s not very performant. You’re basically asking the software to allocate memory for new objects every time, which can lead to drops in performance over time. It’s not really an issue for simpler games unless the player stays alive for a really, really long time, but it’s something to keep in mind.

Turning something on or off via script(if you can) only forces you to instantiate objects once.

16. tributorock

tributorock Avid Boxer

Hi Nik,

When i try to use the basic template (just if a square in the center), i was trying to make the square jump but i can´t. When i open another preset with a Yellow Ball running i can do. I see that JUMP Node in the Standard preset is diferent than the preset with Yellow ball running. In the preset with Yellow ball the JUMP node has a Jump Count option to fill and in standard present i did not see this option but the java script code is the same in both presets. It will be fixed in the beta?

17. NikRudenko

Make sure you have Physics enabled for your Cube and also it is in Dynamic Mode
    [​IMG]

18. tributorock

tributorock Avid Boxer

If i do this, so cube does not collide with floor and pass trought it

19. NikRudenko

You also need to enable physics for Floor as Well (Ad don't forgot to set floor in to Static mode, since floor will not move)
    Also make sure your collision shape accurate.

20. tributorock

tributorock Avid Boxer

How can i edit collision shapes with details? I can´t found the option