A Few Questions Regarding Buildbox

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by Nelson97, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Nelson97

Nelson97 Boxer

Dear,

I've recently purchased Buildbox and I'm working on my first game. It is going great so far but I'm encountering some issues I'd like to solve, I hope you can help me out:

1 - In Photoshop my graphics looks very clear, but when I export them to PNG and import them they look compressed. Should I export them on a 1:1 scale so I don't have to resize within Buildbox? What sizes are recommended for a background, logo, ... ?

2 - I have a character that can jump to left and right, depending on the side the users taps. This works perfectly, but I want my character to rotate -45° then tapping left and 45° when tapping right. I tried using angular velocity but this makes it spin like crazy, any tips on how to do this?

3 - I have a platform I want the character to start on, however I would like to have it 'freezed' until the first time you press a button. Once it leaves the platform I want the platform to turn into an enemy, so the player cannot land at it again.
    I've been able to put the character on the platform so far, but he's not frozen yet and he can land on it again without anything happening.

4 - I have a background that starts with a light blue at the bottom and then goes darker with a gradient, I did this to make the beginning stage look like a 'take-off' which looks good. Once the start scene is completed I want the background only to be the dark blue from the end. I cannot get this to work, because the original background keeps standing in the same position and doesn't drop down once the character rises.

Uploading a BB doc where you demonstrate a solution can also be very valuable since it really show how it's done.
    Thank you for your help!

Kind regards,
    Nelson

2. jerry

jerry Avid Boxer

Hey @nelson,

1 - In your photoshop file, make it 1136x640. That is the native size that the BB files are created. Of course much depends on your game type but at least use that size. Try to create at a 1:1 scale. Definitely don't size up unless you are just sizing up a solid graphic like a solid colored square.

2 - Check this video. I think this might help -

3 - Create an enemy object. Then create an object that is transparent right above the character. Then copy the enemy object then delete it and you can then paste it into the "defeated animation" part of the transparent object and just move it so that it is positioned as needed. So essentially the enemy is "spawned" when the transparent object is destroyed. Then the character can destroy it when they jump and a new platform is spawned. Hope that makes sense. This is the way you can really extend a ton of the BB stuff. You can put other objects into both the "default" animation and the "destroyed animation" windows. You can add particle effects, other objects, actions, etc...

4 - Just add a graphic object to the other "scenes" and just make it big. If your background is just solid after the "start" scene, then it won't matter. Or even vice versa would work too.

Hope that helps.

Xpoint games likes this.
  3. Nelson97

Nelson97 Boxer

Thank you for your reply!
    About the platform, what do I set the transparent platform as to be able to destroy it with my character? Right now it is set to platform but I can't get it to work like that.

Thank you!

4. AndyG

AndyG Miniboss Boxer

upload_2018-7-8_15-56-19.png

Attached Files:

5. Nelson97

Nelson97 Boxer

But that's for the properties of the defeated part? What do I set the invisible part to? Do make it a platform,.. and do make it collide, .. ?

6. jerry

jerry Avid Boxer

@Nelson97 You need to have the secondary "platform" that you create as an enemy. You'll notice that once you are inside the "defeated animation" editor, you will see all of your "objects" on the left side. Choose whatever your enemy look is and add it to the stage. Then you will have access to all of the same object settings as a normal object (platform, enemy, etc....) Just set it to enemy and you'll be done.

7. Nelson97

Nelson97 Boxer

Ok thank you, but what do I set the original platform as?