Buildbox Offline Idea

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by AppNasty, Jun 27, 2018.

1. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

So, everyone wants to use BB offline...but of course this contradicts security. So I was thinking...Couldn't you guys make it so you choose to work in "offline mode" similar to steam? For example, I first launch BB online. Then choose "Enter Offline Mode" and either 1 of 2 things happen. 1. It stays in offline mode. As it already did a server check to confirm legitimacy. Or 2. Mode only lasts so long before it disables and looks for online connectivity again. Say...6 hours. This way BB still has to check the server every x hours. Or once per day, in order to continue to be used.

There may be a security issue I'm not aware of but it seemed a good way to meet customers in the middle. Allow us SOME mobile work ability whilst traveling etc. I sometimes just want to go sit at the park under a tree and work. I don't have cell phone hot spot lol. Anyways, just some thoughts.
    @TreySmith @NikRudenko

2. Rebel Studios

Rebel Studios Avid Boxer

I second this suggestion... It's been a pain in da butt for many years already & we are hoping it will be seriously considered :)

Bilz636 and TheGameAppStudio like this.
  3. TheGameAppStudio

TheGameAppStudio Serious Boxer

Yeah i agree to @OneHitGamer suggestion.Thought of requesting this on feature request section because when i make games i used to save every now and then and in some case only if the game play turns well.So while i was trying to save it i get server communication error message and am forced to close app without saving and relaunching buildbox.And i had to work from scratch. @TreySmith @NikRudenko try to find some solution for this.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
  4. jmiller8031

jmiller8031 Avid Boxer

I didn’t even know this was a thing. You have to be online to save a project? What if my internet goes down after working all day on a project? This is just plain bad.

There’s no real good reason to authenticate that often. Just have us sign into an account at start up and save those credentials. Automatically recheck the credentials after 30 days, which is the subscription payment terms.

Hue Buildbox likes this.
  5. jcalle

jcalle Miniboss Boxer

I would have to use some 2-step authenticator method, as they use in Google Authenticator or Steam.
    Also for the use of BB in other PCs, there would be no need to reset licenses and the Software could be used in other PCs.

6. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

Not if the server says it's already been registered on 2 machines. Then when you installed it on 5 more...it would do its initial on in check and reject you. Making it offline mode for 6 hours for examoke, AFTER an initial check, would work a charm. Even 24 hours. There is no way one could cheat and install it on other machines etc.

7. AndyG

AndyG Miniboss Boxer

@OneHitGamer I think @Christoph nailed it in another thread...
    Export your project = online.
    Working as much as you want = offline.

8. Bilz636

Bilz636 Avid Boxer

Yes i am 900% agree on it

9. dan_counsell

dan_counsell Avid Boxer

Yeah, an offline mode really needs to happen, I don't know of any other software that is this strict/annoying.

10. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

Hmmm, i like that idea. Offline BB but in order to export it must do a server check to make sure you're legit.