Some General Questions About Buildbox And Games

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by Miroslav, Jun 20, 2018.

1. Miroslav

Miroslav Boxer

Hello everyone.

Sorry for my bad english, you will probably see a lot of that in my messages :D And also, if this topic should be somewhere else, let me know if you move it somewhere else. I will use this Thread for all of my questions and stuff, so I don't start a lot of threads. And I know that some of those questions are already answered somewhere on forum, but I couldn't find all of them.

My name is Miroslav and I am 3d artist from Serbia.

The reason why I started with CG is to make my own games, and now finaly it is possible(or, if not now, it will be possible with BB 3 :p) to do it.

So, I want to commit to this and work seriously and professionaly to make my own games, huge money, and start a game company.

But the problem is that I am not so familiar with mobile games(because I was focused on core games), especisaly with marketing, coins systems, different ways to make money from your game, etc.

So I have a lot of questions, but I will start with this:

1. Is there any point to publish your game without publisher and without money to invest in marketing? It seems to me like it's waste of time and work.
    2. The idea that I have is to make few scenes for 5-10 games, then capture a gameplay video from those scenes and send it to publishers, and if they are interested, then continue working on that.
    What do you think about that idea?
    3. What is the best way to send your games to publishers? Is it better to send one by one, or more at the same time? Are publishers OK with seeing your new games, or if they reject you once or twice, your going to their spam list?
    4. Is it ok to make longer scenes instead of more scenes in Buildbox? I am talking about 2-5 times longer, not 10-20x ? It won't make problems with performance,optimization etc?
    5. If you make a deal with mobile publisher, can you make another deal with another publisher for PC Steam version of a game? Or can you make a deal with that mobile publisher so he can publish that game for mobile, but also for PC Steam?

That's it for now :)

2. Miroslav

Miroslav Boxer

And one more thing - Is it possible to make enemies folows you and attack you with a sword for example?

3. Miroslav

Miroslav Boxer

Come on guys, why you don't want to help me? :)

4. Taimoor Javaid

Taimoor Javaid Avid Boxer

Hello, i will answer your question according to my experience and knowledge it may not be 100% beneficial.

1. Is there any point to publish your game without publisher and without money to invest in marketing? It seems to me like it's
    waste of time and work.

Actually publishing your game without a publisher is not as beneficial as going it with a publisher, but not everyone can make it to a publisher, but we also have some example of indie those are earning a good amount and satisfy with self publish. Actually it is same like working with a company like a private job or starting your own business. Working with a publisher may give you money and for the next game you have nothing in term of audience or impression so you have to pitch your game again to a publisher for that and the cycle those on and if you broke up with that publisher you have nothing, however as self publisher in start you struggle but in the end you have everything money, audience, impression etc. This is what a publisher was in the beginning once you have game in your portfolio you can easily get your new game running by cross promoting this is what publishers do. This is not waste of time take it as an investment.

2. The idea that I have is to make few scenes for 5-10 games, then capture a gameplay video from those scenes and send it to publishers, and if they are interested, then continue working on that.

In my opinion maybe it work maybe not actually pitching a polished game to a publisher would be more beneficial else there is a chance of your idea theft. There are some reports that some publisher do add the incomplete game idea as a game mode in there running games.

3. What is the best way to send your games to publishers? Is it better to send one by one, or more at the same time? Are publishers OK with seeing your new games, or if they reject you once or twice, your going to their spam list?

Sending games one by one is good it will help you to keep focus on a game else you will lose focus and in the end there are chances that you end up with nothing so do focus on a game until you find the end result than move to next.

4. Is it ok to make longer scenes instead of more scenes in Buildbox? I am talking about 2-5 times longer, not 10-20x ? It won't make problems with performance, optimization etc?

This is totally depends on you game level base game can have longer scene but it you are working on an endless game its better to go for a short scene so your game have more randomness and interesting to play. I have worked on a level base game with huge scenes i used word huge not big and i think Trey smith also played that game when it was in development phase. my DP is the icon of that game.

Hope this will help you!
    Regards.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  5. Miroslav

Miroslav Boxer

Thank you very much! :)