Invincible For 3 Seconds When Restarting At A Checkpoint

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by lachlanf, Jun 15, 2018.

1. lachlanf

lachlanf Boxer

I've asked a question like this before but I fail to believe someone hasn't figured out how to do this.

I'm looking to have my character invincible for 3 or so seconds when restarting at a checkpoint. Just like many old-school arcade games.

I've tried placing an action everywhere I can think of but nothing seems to work.
    In the character animation but even when action is set to 3 seconds it runs continuously. (Don't understand why that seems like a bug to me)
    In the go to last checkpoint action. This also doesn't work as the action doesn't display in game its only used in the button.

Does anyone have a solution for me? Someone must have done this before its such a fundamental thing in the type of games buildbox is capable of making.

Thank you.

2. adrogdesigns

adrogdesigns Avid Boxer

you need to put the invincible action in the scene where the character restarts.
    place on top of the restart checkpoint action

3. lachlanf

lachlanf Boxer

But then they would pick up the invincible action every time they passed a checkpoint. I want it only when they restart/continue after dying. the restart action is a "continue" button on the game over UI.

4. adrogdesigns

adrogdesigns Avid Boxer

oh yea.
    guess you can't do it then.

5. Phill Mason

Phill Mason Serious Boxer

Hi @lachlanf I'm thinking/typing out loud here and haven't tried this, but have you tried routing your Game Over UI to a new World where there is only one very short scene with no start, idle or end frames (all set to 0), so your character passes through it extremely fast and the only thing in there, is a full-screen, 3 second action that gives you invincibility as you pass into the world were your main game is.

That way you would not have to place actions at checkpoints and your character would always pass this route after dying. I'm assuming the action would carry over into the next world, if you make sure "Pause Current World" is not checked, if not, this is useless, but worth a shot.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  6. lachlanf

lachlanf Boxer

Hi @Phill Mason Thank you for your comment. I have not tried this, I'll have a play around with it tomorrow. It sounds promising ill keep you posted.

7. bgwiss

bgwiss Boxer

Hi Lachlanf,
    I know this is late, but were you able to figure out a way to resolve this issue?