Show Gameover Screen On Negative (-ve) Points

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by TheGameAppStudio, May 22, 2018.

1. TheGameAppStudio

TheGameAppStudio Serious Boxer

Hi,I would like to know if its possible to show game over screen on -ve points ? If so how?

2. AaroArts

AaroArts Miniboss Boxer

What type of game is it and what is your scoring system?

3. TheGameAppStudio

Contains both positive and negative points.Score increments on collision with +ve points and decrements on -ve points until it reaches 0 that's where the game over part is for this game. If the score system shows either 0 or -1 i like to show game over screen and also on beginning of game few +ve points would be added in default.

4. AaroArts

AaroArts Miniboss Boxer

Maybe you could invert your scoring.

Start at -10 for example, and change negatives to positives and positives to negatives.

So you get game over when it reaches 0, but continue to score below -10 and onwards.

5. TheGameAppStudio

Might work.Let me test.
    Btw this is an endless game.The scoring system for example is like this 5,10,5(-5),and when it hits 0 game over.
    I had to scrap one project because of the limitations :( and Now this one too o-:

6. DariusGuerrero

DariusGuerrero Avid Boxer

Your scores could be coins, and your points could be the one for handling game overs etc.

7. TheGameAppStudio

May not work .But Interchanging positives and negatives might do.Thanks for the tip :) .Will let you know.

8. DariusGuerrero

DariusGuerrero Avid Boxer

No problem! Can't picture out what you're working on, and this got me intrigued with your project. Can't wait to see your project on the Games Showcase :)

9. TheGameAppStudio

Update : @AaroArts @Benfont @DariusGuerrero Interchanging +ve's and -ve's doe the trick but i ran to another problem :p
    On game over screen when player looks at current score and best score,It will show 1 as best/current score as game over has been set while player scores 1 point starting from negative.
    My question is if there is a way to show timer ie how long did player survive without getting defeated i.e before reaching positive score 1.Or showing final score as distance does the trick?

10. TheGameAppStudio

Thanks for the motivation :) The Game is simple.May not get showcased either or who knows :p .But thanks for the support.

11. AaroArts

AaroArts Miniboss Boxer

As @DariusGuerrero said, you could use Coins or Points for scoring and the other for handling game over or high scores.

It’s difficult to advise without seeing your game.

If your character is static, you could spawn a point every second and have your character collect it and that could determine the high score.

If it’s moving, you could use distance.