Why Use Buildbox?

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by Shocka, May 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shocka

Shocka Boxer

Xcode is free and there is a game engine already integrated. Basically the same as Buildbox without the fancy UI. Swift is a very very easy language to learn; it’s like an advanced form of English lol. There are way more possibilities with Xcode. Are you going to publish a template from Buildbox or a creative game you actually created? Learning Buildbox is actually harder then learning Swift believe it or not. Are you going to spam the App Store with game templates or are you going to create your own game with unlimited possibilities? I guarantee publishers would rather have a game coded in Swift (iOS), Java (Android) or C# (Unity). Preferably C# so you can export it any where. To get published you got to think outside the box lol. Sorry Trey nice try, but I’m canceling my subscription.

Just a thought,
    Best regards

2. mrcarson

mrcarson Boxer

I like it because the UI is super simple to understand and you can output games very quickly.

It's very simple to use one of their templates and add to it. Just replace the graphics, fine tune the settings, and you have a game in a week or so. Put even more time into it, and you have something even more compelling. I can see your point, though, and everyone is different.

I've done web coding before, and it's really not for me. And Buildbox is way more attractive to someone who'd be very interested in building games but is scared of the site of code. This fact makes using Buildbox much easier to expand your team if you're collaborating. Plus being able to export to multiple platforms is very nice.

I'd really like to see more on the polishing front for sure from Buildbox (along with some collaboration features) but overall, I'm happy with the software, and my team is getting very close to releasing something pretty great. ;D

3. Shocka

Shocka Boxer

Yeah, good point. It’s very easy to make a game with buildbox. It just needs a lot more features I think.

4. artenialexa

artenialexa Boxer

i use Buildbox beacuse i really don't know how to code, it's very haard and complicated for me, buildbox is the easyest game engine i ever had, easy functions for everyone even small kids, easy fast graphics and nice effects, but yes it needs much more features like more templates and pinball template should be fixed beacuse can't be edited or you guys should make a tutorial on how to do that, it needs much more, inventory, brawl battle, just like terraria so we can make 2d survival games and yes, without that mindblowing scripting, or a shop empire game, a tycoon game all 2d, a game like kingdom or candy crush, and we need some fixes on bullet animation if i put a particle i have some problems here..

5. Starman

Starman Avid Boxer

The goal of buildbox is to give game devs the ability make a game fast and easy, and I think they did a great job. I've tried unity, construct 2 & 3, stencyl, gamesalad, and game maker studio 2. Each game engine has pros and cons. But overall, I chose buildbox, it's so different from all other game engines, it has an easy to use ui animation system seen in unity, the ease of use like gms2, and a simple interface like construct, on top of all that, it's easy to make a quality game with bb. I would say it's the combination of all the pros. Still, as you mentioned, there are limitations, tbh one can't build really unique games from it. But who knows? The bb3 trailer seems really promising to me;)

Xpoint games and Tonyfisher6379 like this.
  6. Tonyfisher6379

Tonyfisher6379 Boxer

Agreed with Starman.
    As a professional who works 70+ hours a week and father, I don't have the time or energy to learn the other game makers.
    BB is the perfect fit for me to express design capabilities and make functional games.

artenialexa, swiftcurrent and Starman like this.
  7. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

Simplicity is the future of game design. Unity and Unreal will one day be so advanced they will be practically codeless. As codeless software becomes more and more popular, they will have no choice but to evolve or die. Buildbox is just the beginning of such a wave. I use BB today because of time. I want to make games NOW and not wait until i learn a code. BB allows me to focus on design and creativity and not spend all my time working code. As an artist, i want to be able to focus on ART. To do both art and code would stress me too much that i would give up. That doesn't bother many others but for me, it does. I have a friend who is learning Unity and he made a horrible flappy game. I asked him how long did it take and he said about 4 months. That same night, i cloned his game to the T but changed name and sent it to him. He felt so bad he wasted so much time. By the time he learns enough Unity to make full on awesome games, Buildbox will have evolved and added so many features that it wouldn't be worth it.

8. mrcarson

mrcarson Boxer

That's a great point, it's super exciting.

Unreal actually already has a node system similar to what BB3 is coming out with. And you can buy templates / features on their marketplace.

And with Fortnight exploding recently, Epic and Unreal just got a HUGE budget increase.

Shocka likes this.
  9. AndyG

AndyG Miniboss Boxer

Why Use Buildbox? Quote: ..."creating games is simple. There is no programming or scripting needed. Just import images, assign them properties and build out your game."
    nuff said.

Shocka likes this.
  10. AppNasty

AppNasty Miniboss Boxer

Of course there are limits to BB. So if you're wanting to make the next GTA game, it wont help you. BUT, BB will evolve over years. Never know how advanced it will get. But my passion is making games, not making HUGE games. The fact that i can easily load up BB and have a game from zero to hero and on stores is what attracts me. I have bought many softwares. GameMaker Studio 2, CopperCube, 001 Game Creator....all great softwares. But i always end up falling back to BB. Because it allows me to get things done with little effort. Allowing my creative side to shine. I have friends that go to FullSail University, which i live near, and they are all stressed. And their games suck lol. And they know it....My final answer is what has been said by BB devs themselves. Buildbox, as well as Master Collection, Eliminates the coder....the artist....the sound/music creator....The animator....the icon developer....All of it. So YOU can be a one man show.

Shocka and Rebel Studios like this.
  11. Shocka

Shocka Boxer

Thanks guys for trying to convince me but I’m still not sure I want to continue my subscription. Yeah sure you can whip up a game in a few days. I think buildbox is a good learning product.

12. Shocka

Shocka Boxer

Buildbox is great for making simple games. But I think you can’t just limit yourself to just games. Swift is a very easy language it’s worth learning. I have seen some guys on here trying to make apps with buildbox. Don’t limit yourself. Learn both and you will probably make a lot of money and succeed in the Mobile market. I challenge you guys to just take a look at Xcode and play around and get familiar with it and try to make a simple app. Look at swift documentation, YouTube videos, open source code on github. It’s a great feeling to code something. If you limit yourself it’s going to be harder to succeed. You guys are very creative and I’ve seen some very creative stuff on here. The more knowledge and skills you have the more likely you will succeed.

Good luck and best of luck to everyone

13. Rebel Studios

Rebel Studios Avid Boxer

Totally agree on this! Never would we dream that we could possibly be a game developer without Buildbox. It has it's limitations yes... but it has broken boundaries to creative people like us to just focus on the creativity of building games rather than programming. Certainly worth it :)

AppNasty and Shocka like this.
  14. Shocka

Shocka Boxer

Don’t limit your creativity; take your creativity to a whole new level!

AppNasty likes this.
  15. DariusGuerrero

DariusGuerrero Avid Boxer

Buildbox is on a whole 'nother level. Don't want to sound redundant, so I'll just tell you a story.

I have made games using Clickteam, Gamemaker, Unity, and Gamesalad, and two apps with Android Studio. It's funny, but I've even made a game for the Sega Genesis too. This happened early last year when I made the mistake of unsubscribing to Buildbox. I was an addict looking for an alternative. I couldn't find anything else that makes game creation as fun, as fast, and as easy as Buildbox.

I ended up using Buildbox again, and I'm very happy.

There's a reason hundreds of games made with Buildbox have been featured. Some games that haven't been featured, are still feature-worthy, just haven't had lady luck and circumstance on their side at the time. There are Buildbox games that are so unique, and it's because of Buildbox's nature that they were made: Color Switch, Force Escape, etc. I think some of the software's limitations inspired their creativity. But I don't agree with what was said that you can't make really unique games with it, because... well,. I'll tell that story another time.

Buildbox's ease of use allows creative, visual thinkers to make games too. A few decades ago when making games was hard af and mostly computer tech guys were making games, most games on the market sucked. The games were focused on the technical aspect and less so on the design. In fact, some media outlets called video games a fad and it was gonna phase out soon. When Miyamoto (graduate of industrial design and maker of Mario, Space Invaders, etc) came around, the focus came more on design, and a new era of video games came. When Hideo Kojima came (a once aspiring film director), he ushered in a new era too.

Of course, due to Buildbox's ease of use, some users end up publishing "not so good" games. But, doesn't that happen to every engine?

In the end, your users don't care if you've made the game in 3 years or 3 weeks. They won't care if you used Buildbox or programmed the game in assembly and calling the GPU ISA directly. It's about how you make the users feel.

Buildbox is a brain puzzle. You can play around with it until you make something new. There's really no limit to the combinations you can make with its current features. As you said, think outside the box. And as you adjust to the so-called "limitations" Buildbox has now, imagine how much freedom you'll have and how much more skill you'll have when the new iterations of the engine comes out. As Buildbox evolves, you evolve too.

16. Rebel Studios

Rebel Studios Avid Boxer

LOL.... read properly mate... :) it's coz of Buildbox that all of us in here come out with creative solution for our games ;)

AppNasty and adrogdesigns like this.
  17. Starman

Starman Avid Boxer

Here's some thoughts from a unity game dev about bb :)

swiftcurrent and Christoph like this.
  18. Buildbox

Buildbox Administrator

Ok guys, thread locked. This is a Buildbox forum and of course people here are going to be discussing and using Buildbox. There are plenty of other places to discuss the pros and cons of other options.

and249, AppNasty and Starman like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.