Event Observer Used For "continue Button" Works Only Once

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Unclouded Studio, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Unclouded Studio

Unclouded Studio Boxer

We use in-game currency to let the player buy a "continue" to keep playing.
    This works perfectly but we want to only show it if the coin threshold is met.

Our setup;
    • GO menu 1: no continue button and has an event observer to check the total amount of coins.
    • When the player has e.g. 100 coins it will redirect to GO menu 2.
    • GO menu 2: has a continue button and when pressed the player restarts from a checkpoint.
    This only works once, the second time the event observer does not register the total coin count and always shows GO menu 2.

So for example the event observer is set to "even type: Total Coins" and "Session Total: 100".
    If the player has 100 coins and dies it shows GO menu 2 and when the "continue button" is pressed the coins will be set to 0 and the player restarts from a checkpoint.

NOW

If he dies again it goes straight to the GO menu 2 even when the total coin count is 0.
    For some reason the event observer is not registering the total coin count and just redirects to GO 2.

What could be the problem and has anyone tried this method?

2. Unclouded Studio

Unclouded Studio Boxer

3. thatBlueDev

thatBlueDev Boxer

@Unclouded Studio I have emailed support for a resolution to this issue. They have confirmed that this is a bug in Buildbox, and they are working on a fix ASAP!

4. covmon

covmon Boxer

Yeah, I've been browsing around the forums and it seems like there's been this sort of bug with BB confusing event observer 'total coins' with 'current coins' since like 2016, so a fix would be awesome. Thanks for the update @thatBlueDev.

Edit: just saw the latest update notes for 2.3.6. It appears they've fixed it, although I haven't actually downloaded the new version to test.

5. JSeeger6

JSeeger6 Avid Boxer

Hi I'd like to know how you set up this UI chain? I'm adding the event observer for total coins but when the threshold is not met, it doesn't redirect to the Game Over UI, instead, it just hangs on the world screen and doesn't do anything or redirect anywhere. How can I make it redirect properly?
    Thanks!

6. JSeeger6

JSeeger6 Avid Boxer

Hi, bumping this thread! Could really use the help on my latest post ^