Keep The Character On Same Vertical Level

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by silverronin, Apr 8, 2018.

1. silverronin

silverronin Boxer

hello Boxers can you please help solve this problem
    am working on an idea of a game that the player swipe to change character position
    something like the race template which i used as a starting point but
    1- i changed the two buttons that come with template with swipe button
    2- then i added two advanced movements ( swipe left / swipe right)
    3- made the character like jump left or jump right with swipe ( velocity + time out)
    now the problem when the game starts and i swipe the character don't stay on same vertical level the character starts going down like a sinking ship :( with each swipe left or right the character going down,
    i tried to bring the boundaries a little up to for character to stay at same level but don't work effectively i don't know what am messing here g4651.png

Attached Files:

• 1.PNG
      1.PNG
      File size:
      13.4 KB
      Views:
    • 2.PNG
      2.PNG
      File size:
      21.6 KB
      Views:
  2. jerry

jerry Avid Boxer

Set your boundary to be very small. This will keep the character where you want it. The boundary should be the yellow/orange "blocking" boundary. Screen Shot 2018-04-11 at 8.51.26 AM.png

3. silverronin

silverronin Boxer

sorry for late replay was busy pulling my hair figuring it out, am about o drop Buildbox because of this
    and Thank you for your tip it didn't work either, there is more to be solved and can't go beyond this , getting depressed everday :/
    plus when i swipe right then swipe left i don't get to same place how to figure out the timeout swipe and velocity.

4. jerry

jerry Avid Boxer

I completely understand. I spend half of my time in Unity and half in BB. BB I can do things myself and in Unity, I need a developer but keep running into problem with developers flaking out half way through project.

silverronin likes this.
  5. Lamora

Lamora Avid Boxer

Your character has no speed.
    This is my game:
    Where i have swipe control, so you need to fix your settings of character i think

silverronin likes this.
  6. silverronin

silverronin Boxer

Thank you, my game direction is -90
    but i could use your settings if you care to share Please,
    will you copy or make screen shot of your settings.Thank You.
    did you solve the issue if the player accidentally swipe up/down while his already in last spot and the character position will be screwed ? if yes which approach you found better squeezing the boundaries or make invisible platforms to force the character stay in desired path?

7. silverronin

silverronin Boxer

oh if you Must i think you should invest time learning Godot, Unity is a Mess, it's popular and widely used but it's a mess go for Godot especially if you make fake 2D games or 3D games.
    i just started learning making games instead of buying and restyling them which sux by the way. BB does left a huge burden of people new like me. but sometimes those simple obstacles rendering you helpless make you go .... :(
    but back to the subject gave you made a game where you swipe and the character move once and stop if yes can you please share those settings :)

8. Lamora

Lamora Avid Boxer

- My character settings are like yours but i think i know the reason :) in game development 0 is not nothing so, you should leave this linar valocity window empty
    -and i put invisible platforms to force the character stay on road :)

So bascily what is happening when swiping you are changing forced velocity to 0 for this short period of time

Attached Files:

• fix.PNG
      fix.PNG
      File size:
      31.9 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    silverronin and jerry like this.
  9. silverronin

silverronin Boxer

Thank you for clarification and and advice i always knew 0 is something in programming didn't know it has such meaning here, will try it and report back later Today
    Thank You