Trollling / Spam / Hateful Content In The Forum

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by Benfont, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Benfont

Benfont Avid Boxer

Hello guys,

The reason of this post is to open a discussion about the amount of trolling, spam and hate there is going on in the forum.
    I have seen recently a spike in the amount of hate and trolling from some users. (Specially brand new and anonymous accounts that are created with the sole purpose of trolling)

And please do not think I am talking about constructive criticism or bug reporting about Buildbox. I am talking about people trolling and posting hateful content about other games and also about the framework.

For example the guy saying that Color Switch was overrated: Cool dude, that is your opinion but what is the developer of the game supposed to do with your comment?, How is your comment going to help improving the game in any way? What is even the point of posting that in the forum in the first place?

I am a true believer in freedom of speech but I also believe that everything has a place and a moment, and I don’t think this forum is the place to troll or hate – we need the total opposite, we need constructive criticism. Comments and feedback that make a game better and make us better developers in the end.

Maybe we should start reporting the trolls to the moderators, but that is just the way I see it.

I hope this thread help us build a better forum for all,
    Jonathan,

AndyG likes this.
  2. Arsmen Studio

Arsmen Studio Avid Boxer

The guy saying that Color Switch was overrated , I think we all know he is Right on what he said but that "how you said " does not help the dev the way he said that. No need to hate or Spam , we hope David is going to get back as before #ColorSwitch but that guys was right man. The team behind color switch was VERY VERY VERY STRONG and they can get a game and make it a Hit without problems.
    But that is just the way I see it and i am not the only one , we all know this here.
    No need to hate or Spam.
    Regards! @Benfont

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  3. Benfont

Benfont Avid Boxer

Hello @Arsmen Studio thanks for your comment dude, the whole idea of this thread is to have a discussion about it.

Regarding the troll in the Color Switch thread: the idea behind my comment was to point out that there is nothing constructive about saying something is overrated. It is completely OK to think so – we are all entitled to an opinion after all, however there is nothing of value in posting that in the game’s thread. It is pure hate / trolling that provides no value at all to the developer or other users in the forum. That is what I am trying to point out.

adrogdesigns likes this.
  4. Arsmen Studio

Arsmen Studio Avid Boxer

@Benfont Right an wish you the best with your game! ☺️

Benfont likes this.
  5. spicedbeangames

spicedbeangames Miniboss Boxer

All I will say is that 'haters are gonna hate'. Best thing to do is just ignore them.

Going forward, I think Buildbox should only allow those with a subscription or former subscription(maybe up to 6 months grace) to post on the forums. Then have a new forum dedicated to those asking questions about the software that we can all answer.

Many game publishers like EA and now Activision are only letting members who purchased a copy of X game post on that game forum. It makes sense given todays world of keyboard warriors.

adrogdesigns and Benfont like this.
  6. and249

and249 Avid Boxer

@zoobi claimed that Color Switch is overrated. He thinks that the games published by Ketchapp and Voodoo are better than Color Switch. I think his IP adress should get banned. What do you say @Buildbox?

7. and249

and249 Avid Boxer

They should also trace him out.

8. Benfont

Benfont Avid Boxer

well @and249 the idea of this is not to start a witch hunt. The moderators of the forum already warned the guy about his comments it seems that he stopped making them.

9. TreySmith

TreySmith Moderator

Totally agree. I've personally battled with this as I know people hate to be censored, but things have definitely got out of control around here. We found it's 90% non-customers, as others have mentioned, and we have banned more people in the past week than we have since starting the forum. We will continue to do so, and try to always give a warning before unless someone is way over the line.

For instance, the one person you guys mentioned above was warned, and we haven't seen an issue yet. We'll also be increasing moderation soon. Keep the suggestions coming, I'm reading.

robertgairing, Benfont and AndyG like this.
  10. AndyG

AndyG Miniboss Boxer

Personally I can't wait to be trolled for having an overrated game like Color Switch lol :rolleyes:
    I'll remember that as I drive down Bryant St. in Palo Alto in my Ferrari to meet @TreySmith and the team :D

11. spicedbeangames

spicedbeangames Miniboss Boxer

Hell! You may even stretch to buying them coffee! lol

AndyG likes this.
  12. zoobi

zoobi Boxer

First of all, all i wanted is to warn people from my prespective all i talked about Voodoo was true i am having their contract as well, so what i said about Voodoo was from my own prespective and from my knowledge and also i consult with lawyer, so i was felt like i need to share my thought

According to game like color switch just gave my perspective about that it more about the publisher less the game in overall - and i saw some ppl agreed, but seriously lets leave it

Never meant to spread hate or trolled this forum - everyone do whatever makes him happy
    Peace love and prosperity

ZackGriset, Buildbox, Benfont and 2 others like this.