Worth Removing Game World Ad Banner? (glitchy)

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by AaroArts, Jan 19, 2018.

1. AaroArts

AaroArts Miniboss Boxer

Hello,
    So I don’t know if this is just me, but in recent versions of BuildBox, my games have become more glitchy in-game when an Ad Banner is there.

I know there are a lot of outside factors, I’m not blaming BB, of course.

I’m just curious to see if other people are experiencing this?

Do you think it’s worth not displaying one “in-game” and just leave them to the UI etc?

I’m updating some older games at the moment and they seem a lot more jittery than previous...

Thoughts?

2. adrogdesigns

adrogdesigns Avid Boxer

personally, i hate games with banner ads in the game screen, and yea most games with banner ads in there are glitchy i feel.
    Stick to ads in the UI's.
    Better game experience for users.
    Thats just my opinion...

Christoph likes this.
  3. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Ads normally make the game lag if there is a bad Internet connection. Mostly this is the case with data, but in some countries like South Corea this might be the exact opposite since wifis are lame but data is rocking big time. Appodeal for example has the option to disable ads when on data. At least for video ads. I don’t know if you could disable banners as well. This would be great. I haven’t tried myself. It is a possibility that Heyzap is the problem. At least in my games lag start to appear as soon as I integrate it. But in general, games do lag when my adblocker is not enabled. Heavily. The culprits are normally video ads though since they load in the background. So even if you disable banners, the video ads get loaded as soon as you start your game and this is normally when you start to play the game as well. Or better said: during gameplay. Best experience for the user would be no ads at all. But to make money we need them. The more the better. Studies found out that ads do not affect that much the retention if the game is good. This is why big games like color switch or voodoo games use that many. People still play it for the same amount of time and if they get very annoyed it even can help to drive remove ads purchase up. So getting rid of banners can be counterproductive. This said, what device are you testing this on and what is your network connection?

4. AndyG

AndyG Miniboss Boxer

Banner Ads are at the mercy of the Ad Server delivering them. Doesn't matter how fast your cell or wifi connection is if the Ad Server cant keep up with the load at its end and deliver them quick enough to the device then as you play your going to see some stutter as the Ad slowly pulls down the info as the game progresses. I personally feel the way to go now is to concentrate on Rewarded Videos to generate monetization and perhaps Interstitials periodically. One thing I object to though is an Interstitial on opening of the game. Nothing guaranteed more than to get my radar in overdrive for delete mode when this happens. If Interstitials keep flowing after that I'm gone.

AaroArts, Christoph and adrogdesigns like this.
  5. Jumpingu

Jumpingu Boxer

In my experience, banner ads do cause lag in the game, specially in lower end devices. This is more obvious with banner ads that have animations in them.
    If the game speeds up to normal when a banner is changing, then this is the ad itself, not an external factor.
    The reason behind this is for most of the networks, banners are formatted as HTML content and to display them, a whole browser plugin runs to show them And this causes serious performance problems specially with animated banners and on lower end devices.
    My guess is, you are experiencing this more recently, because more networks are enabling animated banner ads. We've experienced this specially with Applovin banner ads.
    If you have mediation enabled, then try experiencing with different networks. Maybe disabling ads from a single network can help you with performance problems.

6. AaroArts

AaroArts Miniboss Boxer

I’m using an iPhone 7 plus with only Admob and testing on Wifi and 4G network.

I’ve removed the Banner Ad from Gameplay in a update coming to Ninja Dive and will see how it affects it.
    The stuttering and lagging was too much, but with no banner in the Gameplay, it’s perfectly smooth.

7. Jumpingu

Jumpingu Boxer

What about trying HeyZap banners?

8. AaroArts

AaroArts Miniboss Boxer

It’s not feasible for me to integrate HeyZap.

9. DariusGuerrero

DariusGuerrero Avid Boxer