Character Rotation?

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by michaelfriel1988, Dec 9, 2017.

1. michaelfriel1988

michaelfriel1988 Boxer

Hello all,

I'm wanting to make a character move like the one in 'Blue Edge', So when it moves left and right the animation changes to make it look like its rotating in that direction. Any ideas on how to do this?

Help much appreciated

Mike

2. wesam_badr

wesam_badr Miniboss Boxer

blue edge was made with a unreleased beta so it has some function that its not implemented in official release what I know that it uses the joystick to control the character so try with it maybe you will get the same effect

3. michaelfriel1988

michaelfriel1988 Boxer

I think this is definitely possible in the public version of Buildbox, Another game 'Goal Hero' also has this character movement. I believe its something to do with the character rotation settings. I can't seem to get it to behave correctly.

4. wesam_badr

wesam_badr Miniboss Boxer

Is Goal Hero a buildbox game

5. michaelfriel1988

michaelfriel1988 Boxer

I believe so. It might actually be achieved with Left & Right lean force but not having much luck with those either :(

6. AaroArts

AaroArts Miniboss Boxer

It’s just 2D frame animation.

Have one set of Png’s for the left animation and one for the right, then use the forced switch controls on your character to change the animation depending on the direction it’s travelling.

7. michaelfriel1988

michaelfriel1988 Boxer

Hi AaroArts, thanks for your reply.

Yes, that would work by tapping the screen to change the character direction. However, I'm wanting to have the controls like the games mentioned above which have a touch and drag style control system.

Also, the rotation/ transition is seamless in these games which makes me believe there actually rotating/leaning the character somehow.

8. Skrubzy

Skrubzy Avid Boxer

The "touch and drag" function can be achieved by using the Joystick element instead of the Character Button.

The seamless animation is just that: Seamless animation. I doubt any other tricks were involved, they probably just had a good artist/animator.

9. AaroArts

AaroArts Miniboss Boxer

Actually looking back at Blue Edge, you can see it was made in a beta version of BuildBox 3.

The character uses Joystick but is a 3D Ball.
    The big giveaway is the gaussian blur at the top of the screen... it’s a feature coming in BB3D and was mentioned in the Event a few days ago.

With current released versions of BuildBox you’ll have to use 2D frame animation.

10. Skrubzy

Skrubzy Avid Boxer

The blur could just be an image in the UI...I'm almost certain I remember watching a YouTube video explaining how Blue Edge was created in BuildBox 2

11. michaelfriel1988

michaelfriel1988 Boxer

The version of Blue edge I have doesn't have a blur rather just a subtle fade at the top. Also after unlocking a new character, I'm pretty sure this isn't animated frames, same goes for Goal Hero the lean/rotation is too smooth for it to be animated.

I'm confident its achievable with the character settings either rotation or lean, just need to figure them out would be nice for someone to confirm this.

Also, you used to be able to lean the character this way with the accelerometer which did it automatically so I'm guessing they've just moved it elsewhere?

12. REDDKHAN

REDDKHAN Boxer

Has anyone found the answer to this yet?