Multi-direction Moving Background?

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by alexsafayan, Nov 18, 2017.

1. alexsafayan

alexsafayan Boxer

Hi guys!

I'm developing a space shooter game, and I can't seem to make the background move right and left when my player moves right and left, and also have the background move up and down when my player moves up and down. (It seems I can only have one or the other)

Any solutions?

2. alexsafayan

alexsafayan Boxer

3. steverha

steverha Boxer

So the background movement is a little limited right now, but if you try changing the speed of the background under its settings it should change from left to right. Just switch the speed value from positive to negative to change directions. As for moving the background up and down, it depends on your game direction. Mine is set to 0, so mine moves to the left at whatever positive speed I set it to. If your game direction is set to 90 it will still move to the left, but it will also move down at the same time. If you want the image to move in a different direction, mess around with the rotation of the image under the background object's settings. For example, if I set the rotation angle to 90 degrees, it will move down for me if the speed is say 1, if the speed is -1 it would move up. Also, make sure to mess around with the fixed rotation button, that can be useful depending on what you're trying to accomplish. Let me know if this helps, I can elaborate more, I'm just typing this on my phone currently.

Christoph and alexsafayan like this.
  4. alexsafayan

alexsafayan Boxer

@steverha Ah, ok. Thanks! So it's not really possible, correct? My game direction is going up.

5. steverha

steverha Boxer

No, it is possible, its just a little limited. I don't know how complex your backgrounds and their movements are but you should be able to do it. I've attached a file below, each world has a different setting for the background to demonstrate how you can change it. The only differences between each world is the rotation angle I used as well as the speed. If you change the speed from -1 to 1 it will change the direction for ya.

Here is the link:
    https://we.tl/8qGG5fl35k

Christoph likes this.
  6. alexsafayan

alexsafayan Boxer

@steverha Thanks! So right now I'm on my phone, but could you tell me the exact steps for moving a background up and down when you move up or down, and left and right when you move left or right? Again, thanks for your help.

7. alexsafayan

alexsafayan Boxer

Oh and I'm on a computer now– are you using 2.3 BETA because I can't seem to open it?