Iphone X Full Screen

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by trudnai, Oct 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

But it definitely looks ugly and there is a big possibility they will delete the game just because of that. I definitely need to update this rather sooner than later.

@trudnai do I understand this correctly that we ‘only’ have to use XCode 9.1 and add some extra icons?

Could you elaborate on this?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  2. AaroArts

AaroArts Miniboss Boxer

I think if you click on your App Icon asset folder in Xcode you will see the icons that need adding.
    I’ll be looking into this at the weekend.

3. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

I'm not going to say that there are no advantages to having the full support for iPhoneX, and we will have it soon. Ultimately, it is important in the end. But in reality, it's just going be a minimal amount of devices out there, like 1-2% at most for quite a while. IMHO, it's not something one should spend that much time thinking about, yet.

Kevin W and Sean Buildbox like this.
  4. Kevin W

Kevin W Avid Boxer

Just to clarify, as we've just submitted our latest game, and was pitching Apple, I wanted to ensure we had all our bases covered as usual, but isn't necessary to submit your games, it's just good practice to include any new Apple stuffs.

The above message was from ITC stating that, as we submitted screenshots and app preview for the new iPhone X sizes along with the build, which again is optional, they would not be displayed as we submitted using Xcode 8.

FYI - We submitted at 17:49 this Sunday and was approved by 18:24 ;)

AaroArts likes this.
  5. AaroArts

AaroArts Miniboss Boxer

Oh.
    So iPhone X users would see default 7/8 screensize previews?
    Until a build is submitted with Xcode 9?

6. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

No, they won't delete your app. You have to be iOS 11 compatible binary (basically 64 bit ready). If not, again, they will not delete it, but will not show up in searches or offers (that part was never clear to me if only on iOS 11 will not show up, because for example iPhone 5 is a 32 bit device and therefore only got the iOS 10.3.3, not the 11, so for those old devices they should still offer 32 bit apps)

As with the icons, when I tried to compile my BuildBox 2.2.x project, I have got an error message saying it is required to put all icons to Assets Resources. Now I have been updated to 9.1, and just tried with an old project that I have not been touched since Xcode 8, and it does not ask me to do that so. When I will have more time I will do more tests and do diligence on it.

But anyway, as I have mentioned earlier I have managed to put my game into full-screen, however, it is designed to do the vertical fit. Now on all version of iPhone looks good, however, the X is so much taller that the width of the game field is outside of the screen. I love how that looks like on the full screen mode on the X, however, it would need a complete redesign to make sense of it -- perhaps some more custom coding, which is the last option you want to do.

7. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Thanks. I didn’t mean Apple deletes it. I rather referred to the users. If they have a brand new iPhone the last thing they want is a cropped game. It just looks bad. You want the full screen experience. So if retention is already difficult to achieve, this is something that impacts negatively on retention even more. My guess is that you lose almost a 100% iPhone X users the first day if your game is cropped.

volcank and AaroArts like this.
  8. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

Ah I got you. And this is a valid point. However, this is the same problem we had when iPhone 5 came out. Before that screen size was smaller and all apps were letterboxed (or almost all of them).

Anyways, I think I have got it now, but it is not trivial, and needs some real hacking. In the next couple of days I will compile a tutorial.
    (this is my first successful test -- the background is still small, but only because that is how tall it is on my BuildBox scenes. I will adjust that one in the tutorial. In the meanwhile you can see that the buttons go all the way to the top and the bottom, and still, the width is correct)

Screen Shot 2017-11-09 at 7.55.50 PM.PNG

brouleau, AaroArts and Christoph like this.