Iphone X Full Screen

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by trudnai, Oct 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

Hey Guys,

Just compiled my game with Xcode 9 and tested on the iPhone X simulator to see how it looks like. It seems to me BuildBox uses a large gap from the top and bottom of the screen? Any suggestions how to make it full screen?

Screen Shot 2017-10-28 at 11.52.03 PM.PNG

Thanks,
    Tamas

Christoph likes this.
  2. AaroArts

AaroArts Miniboss Boxer

This will just be default positioning included with iOS 11 for backwards compatibility.

The same happens if you play any old iOS version built for a smaller screen size, before larger screensize ratios were available.

Nothing can be done until BuildBox supports iOS 11.
    I’m assuming it will be included in the full release of 2.3.

trudnai likes this.
  3. jcalle

jcalle Miniboss Boxer

I do not know if you have tried to dial any of these options in "Screen adjustment".

BB AF.jpg

4. AaroArts

AaroArts Miniboss Boxer

I’m almost certain it’s just because the iPhone X has a larger screen ratio due to its height.

The same happened coming from 3G/4’s to 5S/6’s.

Check out some older apps:

Attached Files:

trudnai likes this.
  5. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

I have actually managed to make a full screen by adding a Launch Screen storyboard to the project, however, the result is not pretty:
    (Heh if I cannot manage to tweak it, then leave it without iPhone-X full screen -- We should leave something for an update :) )
    Screen Shot 2017-10-30 at 2.04.22 AM.PNG

AaroArts likes this.
  6. AaroArts

AaroArts Miniboss Boxer

Clever thinking putting a storyboard in there.
    Just remember storyboards are Pretty memory heavy.

Hopefully by the time iPhone X is really out there, BB can account for the screen size.

trudnai likes this.
  7. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

The easiest thing to do is to use Xcode 8 with iOS 10 SDK. It should use compatibility mode and display the same as on previous iPhones. Full support for using Xcode 9 will be coming in a future release.

trudnai, AaroArts and Sean Buildbox like this.
  8. Kevin W

Kevin W Avid Boxer

To display iPhone X screen shots in the Appstore, Apple is requiring:

"The app previews and screenshots for the iPhone 5.8-Inch display won’t appear on the App Store because your binary wasn’t built with the iOS 11 SDK."

Any chance this can get bumped on the dev cycle and is there anything to be mindful of before I upgrade?

Thanks @Andy

volcank likes this.
  9. Kevin W

Kevin W Avid Boxer

UPDATE:
    No issues with xcode 9 as far as I can tell, slight jig on the icons but all is good :)

10. TheGameAppStudio

TheGameAppStudio Serious Boxer

Speaking of iphoneX ,I haven't included iphone X screenshots for my game and will that be a reason why my game hasn't been approved by apple yet ?? i submitted on 1st nov 2017 usually they approve within 24 hrs to max 2 day compared to old times .But it feels strange as they haven't approved or denied my game yet as it shows "waiting for the review" .Any info regarding this?

11. AstrologicMedia

AstrologicMedia Boxer

Maybe they are overloaded with the amount of app updates because of the iPhone X launch

TheGameAppStudio and Christoph like this.
  12. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

iPhone X screenshot is optional. My app geen approved without it. Patience :)

TheGameAppStudio likes this.
  13. TheGameAppStudio

TheGameAppStudio Serious Boxer

Could be ...............

Ok.Ofcourse Patience is the Virtue :) There were times when app took 1 month to get approved on apple store.But since last year they have reduced their approval time to 24hrs -2 days.With iPhoneX release it seems there is some delay on approval.
    I understood that Download for Games are better in apple store than google play and it shoots up high in downloads on google play only if it gets trending in app store :) .Hence thought of seeking your feedback :D

14. trudnai

trudnai Miniboss Boxer

I know, and we always want a faster process :)

It is a bit off topic, but I think one of the thing about Google PlayStore is that Android users tend to not to pay for apps and games. If an app is offered for a premium, then it will be downloaded once and placed on numerous of illegal 3rd party PlayStores. Sometimes even bundled with malware. And that is one of the reasons why many games are freemium on Google with Ads on them while on iOS you only can get them for dollars and no Ads.

If it is free, not worth to steal it -- unless they replace them with their own Ads and/or bundle them with those malware that steals information from phones and/or makes premium calls and texts. So you do all the hard work, you release it with your sweat and blood in it, and one will just take it and next hour your game is released on their own name...

Anyways, we curved very far away from the original topic

TheGameAppStudio likes this.
  15. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Yes, regarding the original question, what is the best way to have full screen on iPhone X? Is Xcode 9 obligatory? Or can I build with Xcode 8 as well?

16. Buildbox

Buildbox Administrator

Proper support is coming in the full release of 2.3. We fit it in just in time :)

volcank, Sean Buildbox and AaroArts like this.
  17. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

and without 2.3? I think my game is not working on 2.3... but haven't had the time to report it. So I may be skipping 2.3 all together. :(

Edit: I just tested beta 2 and actually my game is working now seamlessly. Nice. Are ad networks (Heyzap) working as well @Buildbox / @Andy?

Initital question still remains: without having to wait for BB 2.3 release, what would be the best way to have it working today?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  18. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

The hints are in this and other threads if you want to get it working on Xcode 9 / iOS 11 SDK, I can't really help with that. I would make sure you check and recheck the UI to make sure the positioning is OK on iPhoneX.

I still recommend using Xcode 8 / iOS 10 SDK until the final release if you want the safest route.

Christoph likes this.
  19. AaroArts

AaroArts Miniboss Boxer

Wait... so apps don’t appear in iPhone X App Stores unless you have iPhone X screenshots? And to upload iPhone X screenshots you have to upload a build from Xcode 9/iOS 11?

So we need to update every past game just to have visibility on iPhone X devices?

20. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

No, your games will work in a compatibility mode. They will be available to iPhoneX users.

Sean Buildbox likes this.