Crashes on 1.3.5.0!!

Discussion in 'Buildbox General Discussion' started by chris_tillman, Dec 9, 2015.

1. chris_tillman

chris_tillman Boxer

I'm new to the forums and to Buildbox but I've got to know... Is it supposed to crash a lot? I've had the software (subscriber) for 9 days and it has crashed at least 15 times. I've gotten into the habit of saving every time I change even the slightest details on my game (A Snowball in Hell, it'll change you...). It's even crashed while in the middle of saving! So is it my machine? Do I have too many assets or levels? Anyone have the same problem or any good advice for a noob?

2. cioccaapps

cioccaapps Boxer

Same for me. It frequently crashes when I save, test my game, etc. Hope they fix it.

3. chris_tillman

chris_tillman Boxer

Agreed, it's killing me!

4. chris_tillman

chris_tillman Boxer

Have you talked to support at all?

5. cioccaapps

cioccaapps Boxer

No, I just kind of get over it and continue working.

6. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

@chris_tillman @cioccaapps Please email support@buildbox.com with your details. Crashing should not happen that often. If is happening often the behavior is not typical and we need to gather some info to try and help. Usually there is some simple reason, we can provide a solution and fix in the next release so it won't happen in the future.

Please provide the following info if available when you send your email. Also tag me here when you send the email and I will make sure it was received OK.

1) version of OS
    2) version of Buildbox including the Build #
    3) what you are doing when you get a crash
    4) is it reproducible with a fixed set of steps
    5) crashlog if available

7. netkomm

netkomm Avid Boxer

Anyway there is version 2.0 around the corner. Hopefully certain issues are addressed. In the meantime just save frequently...

8. TheViseOne

TheViseOne Boxer

I would not count on that. I really like the software and what Trey with guys have created, but from experience I can say each new product is buggy on first release.
    I know that they are doing their best to fix all bugs, but you can't find everything until big group of people starts using the software. First versions of BB crashed a lot more often.

BB does not crash so often for me, I get around 1 crash in a week. If yours crashes so often, you have done something that BB does not like. Support will help you solve this. It has helped me many times with these kind of problems.

9. netkomm

netkomm Avid Boxer

I noticed some "patterns" in the crashes.

As a programmer, the best thing we could do (as users), is to try to re-create a crash situation (at the cost of purposely crash the program) so that we can communicate a proper "error" to support so that they have all the info to check and fix it.

Surely 2.0 will have bugs of its own.

We can play our part in helping BB programmers to do their job at their best. And everybody lived happy thereafter... ;)

10. Perry

Perry Avid Boxer

I also had rampant crashing issues. I have a high end gaming rig, on which all other software runs just fine. I sent multiple crash logs to support with no luck as to what was causing it. I gave up trying to find an answer. Hoping BB2 doesn't have as many issues.

11. netkomm

netkomm Avid Boxer

the logs might be difficult to follow. I suggest you use a software like Camtasia to record a video of the crash so they can see what happens and repeat on their end...

12. chris_tillman

chris_tillman Boxer

Email sent.

13. chris_tillman

chris_tillman Boxer

Just restarted the program and went to preview and it immediately crashed again. I hope that you guys can help.

Attached Files:

14. Andy

Andy Miniboss Boxer

@chris_tillman thanks, Sean will be in contact.

Sometimes crashes can be caused by the odd piece of hardware or video driver. These are the tough ones to solve. Hopefully we can help get to the bottom of this issue for you.

Sean Buildbox likes this.
  15. kodagames

kodagames Avid Boxer

@chris_tillman
    I feel bad for you and your profile picture makes it worse. Thats horrible.. but the profile image makes it..lol

16. ajcoryat

ajcoryat Avid Boxer

Oh... a PC :p

17. playsgames6666

playsgames6666 Miniboss Boxer

Well i never had any crashes till the other day.
    And after days of crashes and scrolling through crash reports, i seem to have found my problem.
    been days now without a crash.
    My problem was, i was saving my graphics in photoshop, ( Save for web) Which was causing some sort of webkit error.
    Every time i ran the game it crashed.
    So after re saving my images as normal png and swapping them out in my project my problems went away.
    I was using save for web to try and reduce the size of the graphics.
    Not sure if this is a help to others.