Appodeal Mediation Sdk - Tutorial

Discussion in 'Advertising' started by ShpotaSb, Sep 21, 2017.

1. ShpotaSb

ShpotaSb Boxer

Hi guys, I got inspired by the Christoph posts and the recent demand so I decided to provide the instruction for anyone who is interested in Appodeal platform.
    Appodeal can be integrated into buildbox using a custom solution by replacing some libs, there is no official plugin but I'm told it's in the plans for the future.

At the moment you can integrate it using the instructions below, which has been proven to work:

http://www.evernote.com/l/Apt3X2lG1gdIs7YEW_5Bc5yaC8zD_LT60PE/

I'm from Appodeal but I'm also a buildbox developer on the side, (I like it that it's without coding) so feel free to ask me any questions/assistance here on this forum or in bellow contact info:
    gulevskiy.appodeal (skype) or email shpota@appodeal.com

Update: If test ads are working and real ads are not, ask support to enable more networks or provide me with appkey and I'll do it when I'll be able to.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  2. AstrologicMedia

AstrologicMedia Boxer

Is there a way to turn on test ads on iOS? I'd like to test reward videos, as for now the reward buttons shows no video ads.

3. ShpotaSb

ShpotaSb Boxer

There is a "force enable test mode" in your app's settings on the dashboard.

4. ShpotaSb

ShpotaSb Boxer

Send me your appkey, I'll check

5. AstrologicMedia

AstrologicMedia Boxer

Thanks, I will add you on Skype

6. wcgames

wcgames Boxer

Very nice work!!! Congrats ;-)

7. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Hey @ShpotaSb thank you very much for the amazing tutorial and additional files. Will this get updated from time to time?

I must be honest with you, I haven't heard of it until some users started to post here about it. I read a little bit through your site and found the feature that on older devices only graphic interstitials are shown is a very cool thing to do. Buildbox game in general lag very quickly and with video ads loading in the background it happens all the time. I thought as well that if the ad mediator could somehow measure how good the Internet connection is and if bad just deliver graphic interstitials, this would be very incredible as well. I noted that when I'm on a bad connection and (video) ads get loaded in the background, the game is not playable anymore. That is with Heyzap since I haven't tried Appodeal yet.

And now that you are here in the forum, could you tell us a little bit about Appodeal? What would be the benefit of using it? And how does it compare to Heyzap/Fyber? I'm eager to learn more about your services and am intrigued to try it out.

8. Benfont

Benfont Avid Boxer

Hi, I managed to implement Appodeal - I can now display ads on my game. However, I am trying to setup the rewarded video option but that one does not work.
    Are we not missing something in the integration?

How does the app know when to initialize the code? and where is the key we have to integrate in the code?
    -From your documents:
    4.4. SDK Initialization
    Import <Appodeal/Appodeal.h> in AppDelegate.m and start sdk initialization with one of these methods:

• [Appodeal initializeWithApiKey:.........
    maybe its just me, but I have not been able to implement the rewarded video successfully.
    If anybody has done it please share with us how to do it,
    Thanks!

9. ShpotaSb

ShpotaSb Boxer

@Benfont Ignore the documents, they for native sdk and other plugins, not meant for Buildbox. The instructions in the original post is all thats needed.
    About the rewarded videos, its an issue of fill, we just need to enable networks and so far I noticed its not done automatically with buildbox like its designed. But no worries, just send me your appkey or email on appodeal and I'll enable them, we did that with @AstrologicMedia and its working well

10. Benfont

Benfont Avid Boxer

done, I sent them over via Skype.

11. ShpotaSb

ShpotaSb Boxer

Hi @Christoph I will try to update the tutorial to the latest info every time something changes. This solution came up from a publisher who needed appodeal for one of their games, I was surprised that they figured it out how to integrate it. Hopefully, the official plugin is not far off.

To keep it brief, the biggest difference is that Appodeal does not have its own ad demand like other mediation who have their own ad demand that they are prioritizing regardless of their ad prices. Without an owned ad demand, appodeal can stay unbiased and give you the best ad price for each impression. Also, the mediation tech itself is different, appodeal has a waterfall of ad units, so each network has several chances to bid for your traffic rather than just once with a classical network waterfall thats based on historic eCPM rather than real time bidding.
    There are other bells and whistles like everything is just under one account and one sdk, immediate payouts if you want and branded ads from advertisers like sony, nike and cocacola.

About the connection issues, you are referring to, I would suggest disabling video ads for users with mobile connection and just leave it on for wifi connection. That way, your users wont complain about the spending of mobile data from downloading videos. This can be done in appodeal segments with a switch of a button as well as other control ad logic functionalities. There are tons.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    Christoph and Benfont like this.
  12. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

Sounds amazing. I guess I will give it a go with my next game. Thanks a ton.

13. brutal

brutal Boxer

i got it to export the apk from eclipse, it gets installed but when i open the game it shows the loading bar and then it says Android Support Library v4 23.0.0+ is required, then the game stops. Does this mean the game only works on android 6.0 and above? i exported the game without the mediation and it works. Any ideas? thank you.

14. AstrologicMedia

AstrologicMedia Boxer

@ShpotaSb, about the Android instruction, I have to make some additional steps to make it work:

1 - Replaced the file "support-v4-19.0.1" in the libs folder with "support-v4-23.1.1.jar" that I found somewhere.
    2 - On the manifest file, removed the "android:resizeableActivity="false" from the inmobi... line due to an error.
    3 - Disabled the Vungle network because of an activity toast message about the classes are present on both dex and jar.

brutal likes this.
  15. brutal

brutal Boxer

May I ask where did you find support-v4-23.1.1.jar? Or maybe you can share it.
    Thank you!

16. ShpotaSb

ShpotaSb Boxer

I updated the instructions and added support-v4-23.1.1.jar file

AstrologicMedia and Christoph like this.
  17. Christoph

Christoph Miniboss Boxer

I don't want to be the negative guy, but I'm right now having a lot of problems with Heyzap/Fyber giving priority to their own ads. I'm literally losing a lot of money because of it. So Appodeal looks attractive for me but one of my ad providers told me that some of their clients had problems with it and needed to change to another provider as well. He sent me this link: https://forums.coronalabs.com/topic/68006-appodeal-strange-monetization/ I won't say which client told me about this neither who is the other developer, but for me this raises a problem and I'd like if you guys could share your opinions (as well of course @ShpotaSb) about these issues. I don't want to go through the hassle to setup another mediation service and then just see that it's the same problem or worse. Thanks.

18. ShpotaSb

ShpotaSb Boxer

The whole thing with that fiasco was that he messed up the integration process, the appodeal marketplace that he is referring to (which is renamed to system campaigns now) shows up when you set up a wrong bundle id or exclude ad networks from the integration, the system basically notifies you that something is wrong since it has no access to ad demand. It's not even possible to do that now unless you try it deliberately. That's what happened with that case, if there were other problems, just let me know and I'll clarify.

Since you mentioned that an ad provider told you that, well that's now competition talking, for obvious reasons their interests would be elsewhere. If you want some good examples, you can test out some game with appodeal like Flippy Knife, Aworded Crack, Battleships - Fleet Battle, My Diggy Dog or read case studies on the appodeal blog.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    Christoph likes this.
  19. bioded

bioded Boxer

I dont understand how i can do that? I remove code from manifest file(about vungle), but still have error..

20. AstrologicMedia

AstrologicMedia Boxer

You must disable the Vungle network in the PTAdHeyzapBridge.java with this code at the "StartSession" method: Appodeal.disableNetwork(activity, "vungle");

bioded likes this.