Purchasable Upgrades?

Discussion in 'How Can I...?' started by Insanity, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Insanity

Insanity Boxer

Does anyone know how to do this e.g. if I wanted to create a space shooter and I wanted players to upgrade their planes by purchasing weapons, then upgrading those weapons with in-game currency, how would I set this up?

Skyforce Reloaded.png

2. adrogdesigns

adrogdesigns Avid Boxer

you would have to probably do it by characters, so if you have 10 upgrades, then you set up 10 different characters with each having there own upgrade. Not really sure of any other way.

Insanity likes this.
  3. Insanity

Insanity Boxer

Thanks. This is what I thought of too but was hoping to avoid it as it may seem poorly implemented when it comes to pitching a publisher.

@TreySmith said there was a way to do it with purchasable actions from one of my emails with him but I haven't found a way, hence why I'm on here.

adrogdesigns likes this.
  4. wesam_badr

wesam_badr Miniboss Boxer

yes, I think you can also do a purchasable powerups that overlay over the character you can setup it in any way you want you just have to think outside the box and try many solutions.

Insanity likes this.
  5. playsgames6666

playsgames6666 Miniboss Boxer

it would be better implemented, as characters, thats depending on your game though and how its all set up.
    Ive tried with actions, but don't find it very good, u can't do as much i think.
    If you do it with characters you can upgrade your weapons better, you can have the bullets from different weapons do more or less damage.
    so your first character takes 5 bullets to destroy an enemy, then when you purchase an upgrade, it destroys the enemy in one bullet.
    Thats if its what your going for.
    It may be more work but it will be much better than actions, actions are way to limited in whats on offer.
    Set up your upgrades as single character unlocks,
    you will make it much better by doing it this way, more work for a better return in the end.
    Maybe set up the health and speed as actions, but i would still go characters.

Insanity and Christoph like this.
  6. Insanity

Insanity Boxer

hmmm looks like I'm not going to escape the characters thing. If I'm going to use characters to do this, how do I limit the player so that they can only unlock the next character instead of any character they choose?

Example I have character 1,2,3,4,5 and I want players to only be able to unlock character 4 after they'd unlocked character 3 and they can't unlock character 5 until they've unlocked character 4.

7. Danlespect

Danlespect Avid Boxer

You can use Event Observers + A value unused if there is (coins or points) that allows you to set conditions with the Event Observer + Several UIs (at least one UI per character/weapon).